Let's talk about Subs

Kishore and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. Read 1406 times.

Early B.

Re: Let's talk about Subs
« Reply #40 on: 22 Apr 2024, 04:31 pm »
I was just thinking that if you wired the 3 woofers together on the right, you could use a single amp for the right. 

Then wire the 3 woofers together on the left and use a single amp for those 3.

Geez, now you tell me!! :o 

I like the idea of a separate amp for the middle sub because I can dial in subtle differences/volume distinct from the settings on the subs for the main speakers. Nonetheless, had I known what you suggested beforehand, I probably would have saved money on the third A370. Of course, Danny would probably say that the longer wire length to the third driver would be problematic. 

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #41 on: 22 Apr 2024, 06:40 pm »
You could also run a y-splitter for your sub outs to put the center sub as receiving both channels.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #42 on: 22 Apr 2024, 06:59 pm »
Geez, now you tell me!! :o 

I like the idea of a separate amp for the middle sub because I can dial in subtle differences/volume distinct from the settings on the subs for the main speakers. Nonetheless, had I known what you suggested beforehand, I probably would have saved money on the third A370. Of course, Danny would probably say that the longer wire length to the third driver would be problematic. 

Cool thing about DIY is you can always make changes and see if you like it better and change it back if you don’t.

Early B.

« Reply #43 on: 22 Apr 2024, 07:05 pm »
You could also run a y-splitter for your sub outs to put the center sub as receiving both channels.

If I'm understanding you correctly, it's not recommended to use the subouts on the A370 because they're filtered at 80Hz. Besides, I prefer a direct connection to the preamp.

Early B.

« Reply #44 on: 22 Apr 2024, 07:11 pm »
Cool thing about DIY is you can always make changes and see if you like it better and change it back if you don’t.

Yeah, there are tons of options for tweaking the bass to taste. But Tyson -- you got me thinking like a mad scientist -- I can add a single servo sub to each of the dual subs and turn them into triples. 8)  Imagine that -- 9 OB woofers in a 13x20 room -- whoa!! 

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #45 on: 22 Apr 2024, 10:44 pm »
If I'm understanding you correctly, it's not recommended to use the subouts on the A370 because they're filtered at 80Hz. Besides, I prefer a direct connection to the preamp.

I was actually speaking from your preamp, have a pair of rca y-splitters (1 rca male plugged into your preamp output - 2 rca female out with rca wires to your subs). Run one of the L channel to the left vertical stack, run one of the R channel to the right vertical stack, then run the remaining L & R to the center horizontal sub. That would for the center effectively sum both into that to even out your L vs R soundstage. Y-splitters are a bit hoaky but effective in this case. I'm sure if you talked to any of our skilled wire craftsmen here they could even make a fancy audiophile grade one or just rig up a small plastic box unit similar to Danny's high pass filter units, just with no capacitors in the box. Just a thought.  :popcorn:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #46 on: 22 Apr 2024, 10:54 pm »
Yeah, there are tons of options for tweaking the bass to taste. But Tyson -- you got me thinking like a mad scientist -- I can add a single servo sub to each of the dual subs and turn them into triples. 8)  Imagine that -- 9 OB woofers in a 13x20 room -- whoa!! 

This is why I love my fellow audiophiles. 

Me: Hey maybe you could rewire the subs and consolidate from 3 amps to 2 amps.
You:  OR I could keep the 3 amps and add more woofers! 

Haha, a man after my own heart :thumb:

Early B.

« Reply #47 on: 22 Apr 2024, 11:00 pm »
I was actually speaking from your preamp, have a pair of rca y-splitters (1 rca male plugged into your preamp output - 2 rca female out with rca wires to your subs). Run one of the L channel to the left vertical stack, run one of the R channel to the right vertical stack, then run the remaining L & R to the center horizontal sub. That would for the center effectively sum both into that to even out your L vs R soundstage. Y-splitters are a bit hoaky but effective in this case. I'm sure if you talked to any of our skilled wire craftsmen here they could even make a fancy audiophile grade one or just rig up a small plastic box unit similar to Danny's high pass filter units, just with no capacitors in the box. Just a thought.  :popcorn:

Oh, gotcha!  OK, I'll give it a try and report back. I'm sure I have an extra Y-splitter around here somewhere.

CaptainDidactic

« Reply #48 on: Today at 01:47 pm »
I have a set of NX-Otica's and double troubles. I use the plate amps from Danny and are powering the Oticas with a McIntosh MA 12000. I got a chance to audition a MEN 220, a room correction unit built by McIntosh, McIntosh licensed RoomPerfect technology from Danish audio wizard Peter Lyngdorf, whose Steinway Lyngdorf music systems cost upwards of a couple hundred grand. Here is where the plot thickens.

Friends and I dialed in the phase and the levels on the plate amps to sound good with the NX-Oticas, we thought we did a great job. At first, we used the Men220 and the room correction software just controlling the Oticas, but when we re-ran the whole set-up and allowed the Men220 to adjust all the levels, the music went from great to Outstanding.

What we did was allow the Men220 to set all the levels. We turned all the switches on the plate amp to "11" and let the Men220 do it's thing. The overall bass and punch increased dramatically. The unit did a great job of blending the sounds of all of the speakers. 

Before I ran the double troubles through the Men200 I was really on the fence whether I actually liked the sound, but once I gave it full control.... all I can say is Wow!