Stereo Link 1200 vs M-Audio Sonica vs M-Audio Revolution

bcbcbc

Here's my PC: P4@1.7Ghz; 768 MB RAM; 2@IBM 180GXP 120GB HDD; SB Audigy.

The Audigy connects analog to a HK3370 stereo receiver which drives Paradigm Atoms in a room that is 16' x 16'.

I use Media Jukebox 8 to listen to jazz/blues/classical mp3's/ogg's/ape's. Most of my files are 192 or higher bitrate.

My question is whether or not I can expect to appreciably improve my sound quality by replacing the Audigy with one of the subject devices?

Which one will sound best with my system?

I'd like a more musical sound--more definition--warmer sound.

Thanks for help.

vpolineni

« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2003, 02:47 am »
i had sb audigy and have noticed a definite improvement using stereolink.  stereolink also offer a headphone jack which i thought was convenient. hope this helps.

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2003, 02:56 am »
I have both the Stereo Link 1200 and the Audigy and the Stereo Link is, IMO, much better than the Audigy. It has been quite some time since I have compared them but at the time it was an easy choice. The Stereo Link was quieter and had less of the typical digital harshness.

The downside of the Stereo Link is of course that you can't use it for recording.

Mike

bcbcbc

Comparing Sound Cards
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2003, 07:49 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.

Is it possible to compare the StereoLink with the Audigy by connecting both devices to the receiver at the same time--say one to Aux the other to tape?

If this can be done without creating any conflicts or other electronic nightmares I would think that would be a revealing comparison.

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2003, 03:22 am »
bc,

That should work just fine since the Audigy is internal and the Stereolink is connected via USB. If you are using Windows you will need to change the active output device in addition to selecting a different input on the stereo. With the Stereolink they suggest running the volume on the PC all the way up and controling the level with the stereo.

Keep in mind that some preamps/receivers manipulate some of the inputs. Most don't but be aware of the possibility. Also, try and match the levels. If they are not closely matched the louder one will tend to sound better.

HTH,

Mike