PDA's

Pez

PDA's
« on: 27 Mar 2003, 04:41 am »
Hey guys,
   Just curious how many of you use a PDA.  I have been jumping from one to another for the past three years.  I have owned various palm based PDA's and when I realized they suck I went to Pocket PC based PDA's. I have tried Hewlett Packard, Compaq, Toshiba and all of those kind of sucked excpet for the HP.  Even though it was the best of the bunch it had a terrible screen, very unstable platform (seemed to crash or freeze up every other day) and over all was pretty buggy.  

I just bought the new Dell Axim and have yet to be this impressed with a PDA.  It's like they took all the great things about the HP, Compaq, and Toshiba and put it in one box.  I have had it for  a week now and it hasn't crashed or done anything to piss me off.  If you're into gagetry other than audio check out the Axim, it is excellent.

bob82274

PDA's
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2003, 04:48 am »
I use the Compaq 3850 sometimes.  I don't really use it for dates cause if my life gets so complicated that I can't remember it then I slow things down.  I have added wireless and a 64MB flash card to it also.  The 64MB card really increases its functionality.  There is something so cool bout watching a couple of episodes of the Simpsons any where

Pez

PDA's
« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2003, 04:51 am »
Where can you download stuff like that ??????

bob82274

PDA's
« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2003, 07:10 am »
Well... I use Kazaa Lite to get the actual episodes though they are usually to large to store or are in the wrong format.  Then I take Windows Media Encoder (a free download) and it converts it so that its ideal for Pocket PC.  Now this may seem like a lot of work but really it isn't.  It really is just time consuming.  Kazaa is self explainatory and the encoder is the easiest one I have ever used.  Its just a wizard and it just does it.  

In the end I think its all worth it.  The videos arn't really worth watching on a computer but on a PDA they are fine.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
PDA's
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2003, 05:09 am »
That sounds like a great way to make full use of a PDA.

I have seen the Seimens/AT&T pocketPC/cellphone and I want something like that. It is GSM, which I want to switch to (Charlotte is one of the original GSM markets in the US).

Anyone using a PDA/phone?

Ferdi

PDA's
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2003, 05:50 pm »
I have used a Windows CE PDA a few years ago. This was the Philips Nino when those were still around. Never used Pocket PC myself but played around with a few from friends. Lots of freezes and general nastyness.

I gave my father a Sony Clie a while ago. The Palm OS is nice and stable and a good solution. He still has to start using it.

I use a Nokia Communicator (9210i) which is a GSM900/1800 phone, organizer, speakerphone and general PDA. Oh yes, it has a full keyboard. It runs Symbian. I have had this for about a year. While it looks fairly big, it is actually OK to carry around because it is long and fairly slender.