Clearaudio MM -- AT-95E and beyond

ACHiPo

Re: Clearaudio MM -- AT-95E and beyond
« Reply #1400 on: 16 Mar 2016, 12:54 pm »

Cat poop > cat food > ring worm > alpha pets > Brit vehicles > muscle car > Little Deuce Coup lyrics > AT mm.

Hope you're okay.  :?
Am thinking the same thing.  Neo, are you channeling Hunter Thompson? :lol:

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1401 on: 16 Mar 2016, 03:38 pm »
Do I sense a bias against righters?  Not in the righters or wringers sense, more like the why can't I make a cartoon to express the irony of any given situation without losing something vital to me? 

Atkinson is BS.  I like the cartoon though.  Tone magazine is guilty of willful destruction of children's toys.  They might still have a video of some questionably qualified lawnmower taking a hammer to a perfectly innocent Technics TT.  Ohhhhhhh this P-mount alignment is soooo hard when you're had a few.  Then I'm up late one night and hear someone in Coraladio named Tone pub say some very intelligent thins.  I suspect he's a survivor of a volcanic explosion and should really be given a medal. 

I don't think I expressed it clearly, but the diagram of the fabulous AT MM is there for a reason.  First, look up the history of Stereofool.  I shit you not, around '88 they announced reviewers would no longer be able to accept gifts of review samples. 

I received a call from Dan Fanny after he posted once.  He's been living it up out of the country all this time.  He had to hook up the call some weird way or it would have cost about a million dollars.  He might be back, but he's thinking it over.  I think the economy is gonna collapse and it looks like WW III, so maybe he's better off where he is. ??????   
I know what you're trying to do - get me to take a brownie shot of my AHT boards and supply.  No way Hosea.  He wasn't married to Donna  long and they split up anyway so that's a dead end.   He's a member here now so watch what you say or the thought police will let it slide probably.  I've been thrown out of Jazz circle for having an opinion and Japanese bashing.  I couldn't think of the name of the musician to compare style to Sadao Watanabe, but it's Teromoso Hino the trumpet player.  Dude can play.  Sam Jones LP.
You don't dot every I and cross every T.  Listen to Wayne Shorter put some space in there.  He's the only guy who could follow Trane in Miles band. In the early '70s we waited for every Weather Report like it was a gift from God, and it was.  A good friend Chuck Taylor (bass) formed the East Powelton Jazz Collective, but wasn't anything to it.  Later he had a regular Wednesday gig at a club near 11th and Spruce in Philly.  Nice straight up trios and sometimes quartet.  Chuck brought in the best guys in town and sometimes John Swana  or Uri Cain would be there killin it.  Chuck took lessons from Buster Williams and one night we drove up to NYC and played stump the band with a tape I made.  That's with the Studietto, Zeta, Monster 1000, and AHT with a Sony ES 900 or 1000 3 head tape. 

We had fun back then.  Today there is no real jazz in Philly.  It's all lousy singers, it's terrible.  How anyone can sit there and take it, without losing your dinner is beyond me, but that's what the customers want.
neo
neo

Jeff K

« Reply #1402 on: 16 Mar 2016, 03:49 pm »
Do I sense a bias against righters?  Not in the righters or wringers sense, more like the why can't I make a cartoon to express the irony of any given situation without losing something vital to me? 

Atkinson is BS.  I like the cartoon though.  Tone magazine is guilty of willful destruction of children's toys.  They might still have a video of some questionably qualified lawnmower taking a hammer to a perfectly innocent Technics TT.  Ohhhhhhh this P-mount alignment is soooo hard when you're had a few.  Then I'm up late one night and hear someone in Coraladio named Tone pub say some very intelligent thins.  I suspect he's a survivor of a volcanic explosion and should really be given a medal. 

I don't think I expressed it clearly, but the diagram of the fabulous AT MM is there for a reason.  First, look up the history of Stereofool.  I shit you not, around '88 they announced reviewers would no longer be able to accept gifts of review samples. 

I received a call from Dan Fanny after he posted once.  He's been living it up out of the country all this time.  He had to hook up the call some weird way or it would have cost about a million dollars.  He might be back, but he's thinking it over.  I think the economy is gonna collapse and it looks like WW III, so maybe he's better off where he is. ??????   
I know what you're trying to do - get me to take a brownie shot of my AHT boards and supply.  No way Hosea.  He wasn't married to Donna  long and they split up anyway so that's a dead end.   He's a member here now so watch what you say or the thought police will let it slide probably.  I've been thrown out of Jazz circle for having an opinion and Japanese bashing.  I couldn't think of the name of the musician to compare style to Sadao Watanabe, but it's Teromoso Hino the trumpet player.  Dude can play.  Sam Jones LP.
You don't dot every I and cross every T.  Listen to Wayne Shorter put some space in there.  He's the only guy who could follow Trane in Miles band. In the early '70s we waited for every Weather Report like it was a gift from God, and it was.  A good friend Chuck Taylor (bass) formed the East Powelton Jazz Collective, but wasn't anything to it.  Later he had a regular Wednesday gig at a club near 11th and Spruce in Philly.  Nice straight up trios and sometimes quartet.  Chuck brought in the best guys in town and sometimes John Swana  or Uri Cain would be there killin it.  Chuck took lessons from Buster Williams and one night we drove up to NYC and played stump the band with a tape I made.  That's with the Studietto, Zeta, Monster 1000, and AHT with a Sony ES 900 or 1000 3 head tape. 

We had fun back then.  Today there is no real jazz in Philly.  It's all lousy singers, it's terrible.  How anyone can sit there and take it, without losing your dinner is beyond me, but that's what the customers want.
neo
neo

+1

ACHiPo

« Reply #1403 on: 17 Mar 2016, 03:50 am »
“We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.”

“Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas ... with the music at top volume and at least a pint of ether.”

“No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it off to forced conscious expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.”
― Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

“Happy. Just in my swim shorts, barefooted, wild-haired, in the red fire dark, singing, swigging wine, spitting, jumping, running—that's the way to live. All alone and free in the soft sands of the beach by the sigh of the sea out there, with the Ma-Wink fallopian virgin warm stars reflecting on the outer channel fluid belly waters. And if your cans are redhot and you can't hold them in your hands, just use good old railroad gloves, that's all.”
― Jack Kerouac, The Dharma Bums

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #1404 on: 17 Mar 2016, 05:38 am »
When did this thread turn to Jabberwocky??  Politics, altered consciousness, dog schitt,  :scratch: ?

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

ACHiPo

« Reply #1405 on: 17 Mar 2016, 01:15 pm »
When did this thread turn to Jabberwocky??  Politics, altered consciousness, dog schitt,  :scratch: ?

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.
LOL ok I surrender.  Back to Neo's musings on MM cartridges.  Over and out.

a.wayne

« Reply #1406 on: 17 Mar 2016, 07:59 pm »
Neo,

Any thoughts on the DL301 in the Denon lineup ...

Regards ?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1407 on: 17 Mar 2016, 09:42 pm »
Forgive me Dear Reader, 
I heard the Cranberries on the radio today and wax nostalgic for earlier, happier times.  We caught them at the Tower in Upper Darby some years ago, before the Ex's milk soured.

I haven't heard the DL-301.  As I mentioned, I owned a 160 and a 304, and reviewed a DLS1 in a group review on VE called a bicycle.  I have reason to believe the 301 fits right in the lineup giving up some resolution to its more expensive brethren, while retaining that natural type sound with good stage. Speaking of stage, the 160 seemed a hair odd in that regard, but still nice.  I think it had something to do with high frequency separation.  I can't describe it at the moment.
It took me a long time to review the DLS1.  As I later found out (J Carr) it seems to be because of the extra low output and extremely high relative inductance/resistance.  It's coreless like the ART7, but has approx. 4x the resistance.  It gave the AHT fits in RF land.  Couldn't stabilize DC offset.  I believe David and I discussed this sometime much earlier in this thread.  If you do a search....
Friends - B50, Davey W, and John TCG participated.  I still can't believe John is gone.  We were buds.  It's hard to talk about it. 
Think I'll send Raul an email. 
neo

Grbluen

« Reply #1408 on: 29 Mar 2016, 10:13 pm »
Neo, have you tried the Signet MR5.0 with the ATN150MLx? I've just tried it today and I've got it right up there with the Maestro! If you get a chance, give it a try. This is the first time I've liked this body this much!

Don(grb)

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1409 on: 30 Mar 2016, 09:22 am »
Neo, have you tried the Signet MR5.0 with the ATN150MLx? I've just tried it today and I've got it right up there with the Maestro! If you get a chance, give it a try. This is the first time I've liked this body this much!
Don(grb)

Don,
I guess this thread has gotten so long it's unwieldy.  All (I think) the Signet MR5.0 have a motor similar to the 120/440, 155, 152, 160ML etc. etc. etc.  This 490mH MM was AT's go-to high end offering for many moons.  Do you like boron or beryllium?  That's what you're talking about with the differences. an orig 5.0 ML and a 160ML equivalent stylus - ATN150MLX. 

This is a spectacular combination with one big caveat.  Old laminated coils are more likely to go bad.  I have a 5.0 ML - beryllium/ML.  I bought if for the stylus which still has life.  The motor has tolerance worse than an AT3400 and I don't use it, but put that stylus (same as 152ML) on a 120/440 and it will beat most anything for detail, dynamics etc. 

What a bargain - a 160ML for a few hundred bucks.  You can pick your favorite inductance with a modern plastic equivalent 100E, 5V - 350mH, 95E - 400mH, etc.   A new AT stylus should come in an AT cardboard box, not a generic plastic stylus box. 
http://www.zzounds.com/item--AUTATN150MLX

neo

Grbluen

« Reply #1410 on: 30 Mar 2016, 11:07 am »
I think I've missed the boat on the beryllium cantilevers.
I wish that I could have that experience. Do you prefer it to the boron?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1411 on: 30 Mar 2016, 10:26 pm »
Don,
Beryllium is lighter and more flexible so it tends to sound more wide open and dynamic. Boron is more exact.  IMO the only AT with beryllium which might sound better with boron is the 15/20SS, but I'm not complaining.  Beryllium seems to go good with the ML tip which can have a relentless quality.  On the other hand that detail and tracking is superb for those who value that quality.   

I'd take a 120/440, or 100E, 5V with an ATN150MLX over any other current MM.  The 150 stylus is a bargain for $200.  A current AT stylus should come in a factory box not a generic plastic box.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--AUTATN150MLX

The secret to success is loading.

neo 

Jeff K

« Reply #1412 on: 31 Mar 2016, 07:10 pm »
Neo, are you saying you'd prefer the 120/440 body with the ATN150MLX over the AT150MLX?  If so, why?

Lower mass? Most folks seem to prefer the 150's metal body.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1413 on: 1 Apr 2016, 02:14 am »
Jeff K,
No, I'm not saying that.  As a general rule, the higher the inductance the easier to load.  An AT10, 11 has around 1000mH similar to a Stanton 681, maybe a bit more.  It's easier to dial in and superior to the Stanton IMO. 
The 490mH 160, 155, 120/440 etc. is a little hairier, but has better resolution, more transparent.  The 95/Clearaudio at 400mH has a nice balance.
The 350mH 150 is even more transparent (see-through),  harder to load.
The TK9, 10 series at 85mH is harder yet.

The potential for resolution goes up as the inductance goes down,  but not everyone likes all the detail. 
neo

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #1414 on: 1 Apr 2016, 02:42 am »
just a question
neobop, what's the channel seperation (in DB) of these cartridges?

thanks

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1415 on: 1 Apr 2016, 09:45 am »
just a question
neobop, what's the channel seperation (in DB) of these cartridges?

thanks

Hi Georgopoulos,
It depends on whether you're talking about a spec or measured performance.  Seperation @ _frequency?  The temptation is to oversimplify. 
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/cartridges/699a33304468ed99/index.html

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/cartridges/06264e9fc93d590b/index.html

http://www.lpgear.com/product/AT100E.html

neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1416 on: 4 Apr 2016, 09:14 pm »
Well now sports fans, seems like there's a new oldie from AT:
http://www.lpgear.com/product/AT150SA.html

It's a 160/440 in a deluxe body - tapered aluminum/shibata

Grbluen

« Reply #1417 on: 5 Apr 2016, 12:56 am »
Ok, I'm listening. Give us the skinny!

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1418 on: 5 Apr 2016, 09:43 am »
As the Big Bopper used to say, Skinny Minnie, she ain't skinny.  She's just tall, that's all.

The 150SA is an AT-160 body w- shibata/tapered aluminum.   Want a 160?  Fit it with a 150MLX stylus.  Want a lighter version w/anti-resonant properties?  Get a 120/440 body and fit it with what you like.

Want a 350mH generator like the 150??  Get a 150, 100E, or 5V body and mix and match.  Best is what you like best, what works out with your phono input and loading capabilities. 
Seems to me, we ask the impossible from recordings and then we are surprised when they are less than perfect.  Sometimes it sounds real, like you're in the club.  You get lost for a few seconds and you're transported back in time, to another place. 

Why are musicians notoriously bad at selecting stereo equipment??   When auditioning, they tend to fill-in in their head, what they don't hear from the equipment.   I've had members of the Philadelphia Orchestra give me carte blanche to select a stereo for them.  Why? 

What clues make it seem real, to you? 
neo

Grbluen

« Reply #1419 on: 5 Apr 2016, 11:25 am »
Thanks, Neo!