Clearaudio MM -- AT-95E and beyond

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: Clearaudio MM -- AT-95E and beyond
« Reply #1200 on: 15 Nov 2015, 09:19 pm »
Okay sports fans - up for bids with almost 3 days to go:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231749676413?rmvSB=true

I stopped using the lead under-mat - it wasn't completely flat.  It seemed pretty good with the 3mm Achromat, but that has to be taped down to work properly.  So I turned a hard acrylic mat upside down and taped the  Achromat on top.  It was horrible, like everything mid developed a nasty sibilance.  Funk Firm says the 5mm is much better, but I think I've had enough. 
On the other hand, the lead mat might have some potential, seemed to improve any mat on top of it.   It would have to be cast, unless perfectly flat sheet lead can be sourced.   I think Applied Fidelity sells Delrin mats.  Might have to send them your platter.
neo

louie3

« Reply #1201 on: 17 Nov 2015, 04:56 pm »
Neo,

The body of that JVC cartridge sure looks like the Grace f-8 that was used several OEM applications.

FWIW:   The best mat, bar none I have ever had was an old Sumiko lead/acrylic mat...unfortunately I stupidly glued it to a platter, can't get it off.

Have been looking for another for years.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1202 on: 18 Nov 2015, 12:12 pm »
Hi Louie,
I've been told that JVC produced a lot of their own carts, yet go to LpGear and look at replacement styli and there are a bunch made by AT.  Many of the Japanese companies worked together as OEM and retail supplier and even shared technology in sort of limited partnerships.  Western companies were more likely to have an adversarial relationship. 

With a Shure type stylus fitment I guess there are a lot of carts which resemble the F8.  I don't know which are made by Grace.  Perhaps you know or have read about this?   I think the F8 has higher output than either the Victor X or Z.  The F9 does resemble the X1, especially the body at the back near the pins.  There might be an old Grace test report buried somewhere in this thread.  Can't say I remember specs of any of these right now. Maybe I can find them. 

Old favorite mats seem to fade away, never again to be seen.  Can't find any Goldmund or Sota Supermats any more either.  Seems there's a void, considering the abundance of all things vinyl these days.   I'll have to try a Herbies.  I have a cheapie polyester woven mat which sounds remarkably good.  Maybe Herbies will be better. 
A mat is an odd shape to cast and lead doesn't stay flat.  Maybe it can be flattened in a press.   Delrin type acrylic will also sag with age I believe. 
The Achromat is a piece of cardboard.  Boston isn't making them anymore.  Providing a warranty for a $200 mat might be a problem? 
neo

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #1203 on: 18 Nov 2015, 01:28 pm »
Okay sports fans - up for bids with almost 3 days to go:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231749676413?rmvSB=true

What do these usually go for? $5 $50 $500?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1204 on: 18 Nov 2015, 01:47 pm »
The Z1 usually goes for < $50, depending on stylus.  A Jico elliptical for this one is $35.  The SAS is around $140 from Japan.  The elliptical is at LpGear or TT-Needles. 

This is one of the last great bargains out there IMO.  Supply seemed abundant 6 months ago, but they're getting rarer.
neo

GentleBender

« Reply #1205 on: 18 Nov 2015, 03:40 pm »
I need a cart for my new to me HW-19 with Audioquest PT-8 tonearm. Don't have much of a budget, but want to keep a lookout for a good match. Right now I am using a Shure MX97xe that I would love to retire.  :oops:

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1206 on: 18 Nov 2015, 05:06 pm »
GB,
If you can load the M97 at 62K/250pF it improves a whole lot.  Jico makes an SAS for it too, but I can't say I've heard it.  They say with it,  it's back to 47K and at a whole other level.

The Z1 w/E stylus sounds sweet and natural.  Maybe with a bit extra bass but basically flat.  With the SAS stylus it will go up against just about any MM ever made, although you might have a preference for a different sound.  This is fast, detailed and dynamic as hell. 

The AQ 8 is straight low/med mass arm?  Should be great match.  With SAS I track at 1.4g.  1.75 W/JVC stylus. 
I see the bid is up to $10.50 - don't bid too much if you go for it.  They still show up from time to time, but mostly in Japan.  These were not US models.
http://www.hifishark.com/search?q=Victor+z1+cartridge

neo

GentleBender

« Reply #1207 on: 18 Nov 2015, 05:19 pm »
I will change the load on the phono stage to see what that does. What would be the most you would bid on the Z1? What and where would I find the stylus for it? Thanks you for answering my never-ending questions... :)

S Clark

« Reply #1208 on: 18 Nov 2015, 05:35 pm »
If you're looking at the one that Neo referenced, I've got a bid on it just north of $40.  $30 for what it was worth +$10 not to have to fart around with another bid.  Figured that was the max it was worth with no stylus.  The last one sold for $11.
It's the boron cantilever shibata style stylus that is the big cost... about $140.

GentleBender

« Reply #1209 on: 18 Nov 2015, 05:46 pm »
If you're looking at the one that Neo referenced, I've got a bid on it just north of $40.  $30 for what it was worth +$10 not to have to fart around with another bid.  Figured that was the max it was worth with no stylus.  The last one sold for $11.
It's the boron cantilever shibata style stylus that is the big cost... about $140.
No problem. I will keep my eyes open for another opportunity, but where would you recommend purchasing the correct shibata stylus? What about the highly rated X1?

S Clark

« Reply #1210 on: 18 Nov 2015, 05:50 pm »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1211 on: 18 Nov 2015, 08:36 pm »
The SAS is a microridge on a boron cantilever:
http://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?cPath=8&products_id=1293

Those 2 look to be the same.  Some have a different size tube that holds the cantilever.   

Looks like someone just won it for $43.   Yahoo auctions can hook you up with Japanese sales.  I don't know all the ins/outs.  Griff uses another expediter, Jaunce? 

neo

S Clark

« Reply #1212 on: 18 Nov 2015, 09:15 pm »
Well, it wasn't me.  I gave it up at $42 and change.  A couple of weeks ago one with no stylus sold for $11.  :o

GentleBender

« Reply #1213 on: 18 Nov 2015, 09:27 pm »
Well, it wasn't me.  I gave it up at $42 and change.  A couple of weeks ago one with no stylus sold for $11.  :o
I was following that bid to see what it would end up at. The snipers were out in force! I was looking at this one, but it is hard to tell exactly what you get in translation. You could ask though... http://yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=s472530014#enlargeimg

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1214 on: 19 Nov 2015, 12:01 am »
That's an X-1 IIE.  TOTL, but there's no SAS for the X1.   Here's a Z-1S:
http://yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=j369763203

You have to register with Yahoo or some other bidding service and there are additional fees.  Will occasionally show up on US/Canada sites.  Mine came from epay France.   Hifishark found it.  Look under Victor rather than JVC, or each individually.
neo

S Clark

« Reply #1215 on: 19 Nov 2015, 01:30 am »
I've looked a couple there, but can't find a real shipping fee.  Certainly it isn't $76 to ship a headshell and cartridge to the US.???

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1216 on: 19 Nov 2015, 12:53 pm »
The shipping fee is an estimate.  It looks like premium service calculated for international rates.  There are other fees involved also.  I think it's better if you can find what you want on a more accessible venue.   Griff uses this one:
http://www.jauce.com/

There are a couple of prominent sellers on epay from Hong Kong, Taiwan, etc. and maybe an inquiry could have them for sale.  Considering the fees and shipping, it might cost about the same. 
http://stores.ebay.com/2juki?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-JVC-UA-7082-12-Tonearm-with-Sub-weight-Manual-Template-/321908355368?hash=item4af33bb128:g:rmMAAOSwZd1VbWp5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENWOOD-L-07D-TURNTABLE-/321632630780?hash=item4ae2cc77fc:g:d1QAAOSwc0FUp5Bq

Something else of interest, at least to me -  TT81  in house!!  Look out.   Thanks to Halcro for spotting this and providing inspiration. 
Looks like I need a 120V to 100V supply. 
neo

S Clark

« Reply #1217 on: 19 Nov 2015, 03:08 pm »
Congrats on the Victor TT.  That's a nice one indeed! Does it have a plinth? 
Where are the Pics????

griffithds

« Reply #1218 on: 19 Nov 2015, 08:01 pm »
Neo,

Congratulations on the TT-81.  I am smiling while I type this. You are absolutely going to love it.  How did the repair on the JVC-7045 go? 
That combination is going to be killer but the right mat is a must!
Best regards,
Don

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1219 on: 19 Nov 2015, 09:59 pm »
Thanks guys,
The TT81 is just a motor unit - no plinth.  I'm leaning toward Henry's plinth-less design, but it means a lot of building (arm pods too).  I saw a Victor 2 arm capable plinth for sale and it's tempting.  Haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning toward a Halcro type or maybe a variation with attached armboards.  I have access to misc. steel parts like brake rotors in assorted sizes.  Could build up the motor unit and weld on arm supports.

The 7045 seems functional, although I haven't mounted or tested it yet.  Right now I have more projects than I can deal with, but it's always like that for me.  I'm thinking of selling my Denon 1250 w/o arm.  It's cut for an arm mounted at 219mm, perfect for a Rega type moved 3mm closer for alignment.  The projects are piling up and too many loose ends.  But I've been saying that for the last 25 years.

Glad I got the TT81.  Would it hurt a 100V unit to run it at 120V ? 

neo