Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?

morganc

« Reply #280 on: 14 Dec 2010, 02:55 am »
Yes it is a Melody I2A3 which seems to have good synergy with Zu.  I tried a few others and i found this one to be my favorite so far.  Good luck with the new amp......did you get a pair of Omens yet?

skeeter99

« Reply #281 on: 14 Dec 2010, 03:36 am »
Yes it is a Melody I2A3 which seems to have good synergy with Zu.  I tried a few others and i found this one to be my favorite so far.  Good luck with the new amp......did you get a pair of Omens yet?

The amp isn't mine, it will be here for the Onix/Melody GTG I'm hosting January 29th (details here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87309.new#new). I've only heard the SP3 and I really liked it so I'm sure your I2A3 is fantastic! Really looking forward to hearing the MK88 too :)

I haven't ordered the Omens. I'd like to but have to come up with the cash first and with a newborn, my audio budget isn't what it used to be  :duh: I'd really like to hear them though so if someone in the Seattle area has them, I'd love to come over for a listen!!

rean1matore

« Reply #282 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:13 pm »
I would suggest holding off on any evaluations as to what mods the Omen needs until after full break-in.

I'm not sure how similar the break-in characteristics are between the previous gen speaker found in the Druid's are to the new gen speakers but when I owned my Druids, the improvement in SQ was dramatic after full break-in.  It also did not seem to me to be gradual.  It went from sounding just ok to detailed/fluid/smooth like a flick of a light switch. 

I just received my Omens last night and can tell they have a lot of potential.  Just hoping they break-in as nicely as the Druid's did.  Was very surprised at the bass extension on these speakers, far better than the Druid's.

also with my druid's, they took about 60-80 hours to show significant improvement in sq.

Anybody got links/source for Quietcoat (not a wholesale warehouse). I would also like to find out if Zu would be OK with these upgrades. Perhaps they could help out their customers with DIY kit for Omen owners?

Anyway, experimenting with cabinet  dampening could help in clearing up some smearing in middle range, clarity and airiness.
It's a GREAT speaker but there are things which can make Omens even better. I know.......it is hard to squeez all that performance in a speaker under a grand but those are simply suggestions and issues which may or may not be important to potential buyer.
Few tweaks that come to mind:
- quietcoat paint
- extra interior wall dampening
- cap upgrade
- additional driver basket dampening

There is few more less pronounce tweaks but those mentioned above should "up" Omen's SQ.

.....also, I am not sure if you guys noticed some comments around the net from Zu owners (Omen and similar) about effect of placing Zus on top of area rug or carpet. Reported improvements in bass reproduction and overall presentation could point to cabinet under-damping and fragile balancing act with port(s) to floor height adjustment and ratio.

P.S
Great album and test tracks for smearing of underdamped cabinet. Bass is great so are the strings but notice some smearing between individual instruments and clarity of voice.
Jacob  Dylan
Seeing Things
"On up the mountain",  "Will it grow".

Mariusz

« Reply #283 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:30 pm »
No mods yet. I got about 250h on them.
Anyone knows capacitor count and values ???
Also which caps are recommended?

rean1matore

« Reply #284 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:45 pm »
Any significant improvement in sound quality of the spekers so far?

No mods yet. I got about 250h on them.
Anyone knows capacitor count and values ???
Also which caps are recommended?

JoMoCo

• Large Format - Big Sound...
Re: Zu Omen - Break in
« Reply #285 on: 15 Dec 2010, 11:08 pm »
Any significant improvement in sound quality of the speakers so far?

I have approx 200 normal level listening hours on mine and have been listening to them almost every day and am noticing a gradual improvement in different areas almost every other day.  Gradual improvement is the key word so far...still wish I had known about the factory conditioning / breakin option... :duh:

And yes I am still planning to do a high volume run when I leave for a couple of days.  So far that only happens when I go out for a couple of hours at a time.

Still looking forward to more...It is starting to remind me of the Harbeth SHL5 sound which also uses a wideband driver with tweeter support... :icon_lol:

djbnh

Re: Zu Omen - Break in
« Reply #286 on: 15 Dec 2010, 11:52 pm »
Gradual improvement is the key word so far...still wish I had known about the factory conditioning / breakin option...
On 12/2 Zu quoted a price of $75/week to break in a pair of Omen Defs, "We'd be happy to burn them in, but we charge $75 per week to do so.  Burning in requires space, manpower, and resources...so we charge by the week." I told them I thought the price reasonable but took a pass.

Gopher

« Reply #287 on: 16 Dec 2010, 12:02 am »
So some factory burn in is no longer free?  I can't blame them and their reasoning is legit along with the large pick up in volume they're undoubtedly receiving now--I just hope people don't judge the speakers too harshly.  Most wideband drivers I've had experience with sound pretty hairy without any burn in.

Mariusz

« Reply #288 on: 16 Dec 2010, 12:21 am »
Any significant improvement in sound quality of the spekers so far?

Since I've moved on to interconnect comparison segment for Ch&Ch Circle (which was long overdue), time is kind of divided between few projects in hand. At the moment, Omens are facing each other, few inches apart and out of phase. Music is playing 24/7 at moderate levels.

Gopher

« Reply #289 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:52 am »
So some factory burn in is no longer free?  I can't blame them and their reasoning is legit along with the large pick up in volume they're undoubtedly receiving now--I just hope people don't judge the speakers too harshly.  Most wideband drivers I've had experience with sound pretty hairy without any burn in.

I just got clarification on this from Kristian at Zu.  Normal factory burn in will still be provided with the Soul and Essence lines, but its being skipped on the Omens as a way to pass the savings on to the consumer.  Respectable move and I like the philosophy. 

Future Omen buyers, just be mindful that judgments should be reserved until those drivers see some hours.

Mariusz

« Reply #290 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:59 am »
Future Omen buyers, just be mindful that judgments should be reserved until those drivers see some hours.

Well, not only Omen speakers or pro/extended range drivers but generally it applies to all new speakers. In case of full range drivers (or extended range drivers), it might take just a bit longer.

« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2010, 07:47 am by Mariusz »

djbnh

« Reply #291 on: 16 Dec 2010, 05:02 am »
I think the above advice prudent. Furthermore, Zu's 100% guarantee is for a 60 day period, so Omen purchasers may want to be mindful of starting to burn in new purchases ASAP to facilitate getting to hear all that the Zu's offer / help judge whether to keep the speakers or return them. I've got an old NAD 2200PE and matching pre that have been in attic storage for years that should do the trick for pushing extended 24/7 periods of current through the Omen Defs when they finally make it to the house (already forewarned my better half and got the anticipated nose wrinkle and eye twinkle a la "here we go again"; I'm sure some of you out there know what I mean.)

Earlier in this thread I posted comment / link related to a product that over time has proven to me it decreases burn in time substantively; I re-submit that comment here in case it may be helpful, but if mods feel it better to delete this part as redundant please do so:
I recommend using the IsoTek System Enhancer for reducing component / IC / etc break in time. Works very nicely / as advertised every time I use it; it also works nicely for system tune ups. Talk about cheap and cheerful!
A side effect of the Isotek disc is that it also helps diminish the length of time you might witness the previously mentioned nose wrinkle and eye twinkle.

Looking forward to reading more comments about the Zu's including Omens/ Omen Defs, as orders are in time fulfilled from the post-Thanksgiving sale. I note my few interactions via e-mail with Zu's office have been friendly and informative, and that's always welcome from any manufacturer.

djbnh

« Reply #292 on: 16 Dec 2010, 06:25 am »
Here are a few of my pics.....no pro and the room is in disarray, but sounding much better :thumb:
Looks like you just put these up for sale, what gives?

dboulet

« Reply #293 on: 16 Dec 2010, 07:07 am »
Looks like you just put these up for sale, what gives?

Looks like the sale is for the Essence, not the Omen defs.  :)

skite30

« Reply #294 on: 16 Dec 2010, 08:12 am »
I received my omen's last week after the 3 week break in period at Zu. Zu said it would take a couple of days to settle in. That is a gross understatement. When people say wait until they are burned in to judge them they are absolutely correct. In the past week they have been all over the place started out very lean but open. This turned into really boomy bass and the sound was very speaker bound. At times one or the other has been louder. I have never experienced anything like this from a speaker breaking in.
In the last 2 days they have settled into a very balanced, open and grain free speaker. At this point I am impressed enough that I am going to return them and get a pair of the Omen Definitions. They also seem to have become more efficient with break in.
I haven't had a pair of wide-range drivers in the house in quite awhile and it hasn't taken long to remember what attracted me to the genre in the first place. For a boxed speaker the Zu's have an almost open baffle sound.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #295 on: 16 Dec 2010, 08:46 am »
For a boxed speaker the Zu's have an almost open baffle sound.

You have a point there.  They are pretty unique.

Mariusz

« Reply #296 on: 16 Dec 2010, 09:16 am »
Hi skite30

Let me ask you, why you feel Defs would be a better fit for you?

djbnh

« Reply #297 on: 16 Dec 2010, 10:19 am »
Thank God for younger eyes! :duh:

morganc

« Reply #298 on: 16 Dec 2010, 05:05 pm »

Yes the Essence are for sale....they just don't fit in my room....I had numerous acoustical issues that I could not resolve.....Defs are not as high on the top end and are much less sensitive to room placement issues, though I have noticed big changes by moving the speakers a few inches. 

morganc

« Reply #299 on: 16 Dec 2010, 05:07 pm »
I am glad that you pointed out your break in experience.....mine has been very similar and I thought it was all in my head :o.    Out of the box I was jumping for joy, then I experienced a lot of boominess, and I definitely had the experience of one speaker playing louder than the other at times........would love to hear your comparison of the Omens to the Defs when you receive them. 

I received my omen's last week after the 3 week break in period at Zu. Zu said it would take a couple of days to settle in. That is a gross understatement. When people say wait until they are burned in to judge them they are absolutely correct. In the past week they have been all over the place started out very lean but open. This turned into really boomy bass and the sound was very speaker bound. At times one or the other has been louder. I have never experienced anything like this from a speaker breaking in.
In the last 2 days they have settled into a very balanced, open and grain free speaker. At this point I am impressed enough that I am going to return them and get a pair of the Omen Definitions. They also seem to have become more efficient with break in.
I haven't had a pair of wide-range drivers in the house in quite awhile and it hasn't taken long to remember what attracted me to the genre in the first place. For a boxed speaker the Zu's have an almost open baffle sound.