Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?

Mariusz

« Reply #40 on: 30 Sep 2010, 01:27 am »
there might be another speaker worth considiration in that price range - stay tuned. :wink: :no_speak: :banghead: :drool: :shh: :eyebrows: :duel:

RCduck7

« Reply #41 on: 30 Sep 2010, 10:17 pm »
there might be another speaker worth considiration in that price range - stay tuned. :wink: :no_speak: :banghead: :drool: :shh: :eyebrows: :duel:

Maybe a Tekton OB4.5 or OB6.5?? :thumb:
I read on an other forum (audioreview) someone ordered the Zu Omens while he allready had a pair of smaller Tektons.
I hope he will post a review.

Mariusz

« Reply #42 on: 30 Sep 2010, 11:40 pm »
Maybe a Tekton OB4.5 or OB6.5?? :thumb:
I read on an other forum (audioreview) someone ordered the Zu Omens while he allready had a pair of smaller Tektons.
I hope he will post a review.

Close enough!!!!

Intro price $850 +

I send open invitation for shoot out between these and Zu with possibility of hosting AC tour. But that is the best I can do. Rest is out of my hand. 

A little of topic but since we are talking about shoot outs and tour - we will start Maverick tour very soon.  We will also have end of the year cheap interconnect shoot out (so far I have Morrow Audio, Niteshade Audio and Virtue Audio committing to submit their products for this event). We might also organize another
AC tour for these cables (all or at least some).

Cheers
Mariusz

Edit : corrected some typo - my phone is acting up a little.

shadowlight

« Reply #43 on: 1 Oct 2010, 12:18 am »
@Mariusz

Name of the company for the black speakers please?

Mariusz

« Reply #44 on: 1 Oct 2010, 12:25 am »
« Last Edit: 1 Oct 2010, 01:45 am by Mariusz »

shadowlight

« Reply #45 on: 1 Oct 2010, 12:41 am »
Thanks

mbakes

« Reply #46 on: 1 Oct 2010, 06:50 pm »
Gopher, thanks, because of you I ordered the Omen. :)  This tyrion from HF.  How have you been?

Gopher

« Reply #47 on: 1 Oct 2010, 08:16 pm »
Its been a while, my friend!  How the heck have you been?  I was hoping I’d run into you at that NY Head-fi show last year in Queens but our paths never crossed in the crowd.

I suspect you’ll enjoy the Omen quite a bit.  I am a huge fan of my Soul Superflys and the speculation is that the little guys will employ the same house sound–perhaps a touch more relaxed.

The term gets kicked around so much it’s lost its meaning, but I feel my pair of Zus truly are a music lover’s speakers.  They’re more versatile than anything I’ve owned or heard, easily driven but benefit from attention to detail and reasonably priced for the performance they pack–their only downside in my book is that their appearances.  I could live with it, but the wife is still not crazy about them (she misses my Abbys). 

Do let us know your thoughts when the ship!  I think you’ll be pleased.

Also, my experience with the Souls is that they are VERY sensitive to amplification–that doesn’t mean you need to spend a lot for good results (its hard to make them sound bad) but it opens the slippery slope to amp rolling.   Check out my Soul Superfly thread on Audiogon and you’ll see what I mean!

Mariusz

« Reply #48 on: 1 Oct 2010, 08:54 pm »
Got off the phone with Alexander from Tekton Design and I am happy to report that his "Lore" speakers (pictured in my previous post)  will be on the way for earlier mentioned "shoot out". Both speakers are not only aggressively priced but also share some design similarities. 

In the spirit of Cheap and Cheerful hifi circle I will do my best to organizer AC tour for these speakers.  It will be restricted though to NY, NJ & PA States. (due to size and shipping cost)

.............. :wink:   

Delta Wave

« Reply #49 on: 2 Oct 2010, 12:32 pm »
Its been a while, my friend!  How the heck have you been?  I was hoping I’d run into you at that NY Head-fi show last year in Queens but our paths never crossed in the crowd.

I suspect you’ll enjoy the Omen quite a bit.  I am a huge fan of my Soul Superflys and the speculation is that the little guys will employ the same house sound–perhaps a touch more relaxed.

The term gets kicked around so much it’s lost its meaning, but I feel my pair of Zus truly are a music lover’s speakers.  They’re more versatile than anything I’ve owned or heard, easily driven but benefit from attention to detail and reasonably priced for the performance they pack–their only downside in my book is that their appearances.  I could live with it, but the wife is still not crazy about them (she misses my Abbys). 

Also, my experience with the Souls is that they are VERY sensitive to amplification–that doesn’t mean you need to spend a lot for good results (its hard to make them sound bad) but it opens the slippery slope to amp rolling.   Check out my Soul Superfly thread on Audiogon and you’ll see what I mean!

My next big upgrade is going to be new speakers. I've had my eye on the Soul Superflys for a while now but since I am on a budget I'm a bit apprehensive to drop that much money on something I don't get to audition. I'll check out your audiogon thread.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #50 on: 2 Oct 2010, 03:01 pm »
Got off the phone with Alexander from Tekton Design and I am happy to report that his "Lore" speakers (pictured in my previous post)  will be on the way for earlier mentioned "shoot out". Both speakers are not only aggressively priced but also share some design similarities. 

In the spirit of Cheap and Cheerful hifi circle I will do my best to organizer AC tour for these speakers.  It will be restricted though to NY, NJ & PA States. (due to size and shipping cost)

.............. :wink:

put me down for a nyc tour

mbakes

« Reply #51 on: 2 Oct 2010, 04:09 pm »
Quote from: Gopher link=topic=86177.msg843195#msg843195 date=

I've been well, it is a shame we didn't meet in NY.  Will you be at RMAF? If so, send me your cell phone number

My biggest concern with these speakers is whether they will be a good match with my amp, which is a Brinkmann Integrated.  Also, whether they will go as low as claimed.  I have no intention of changing amps anytime soon so The speakers, whatever I end up with, will need to play nice with the Brinkmann.

Marius, I know I'm a bit further than the tri state area (South Florida) but I may be willing to pay the shipping to compare the Teckton to the Omen.

Mariusz

« Reply #52 on: 2 Oct 2010, 08:50 pm »
put me down for a nyc tour

First the shoot out between  Lore v.s Omen.
This is something that haven't seen done here in a while.  These two speakers just have to many similarities and shared history to pass on this opportunity.   

Lore is using the same extended range driver as Zu - minus the phase plug. Tweeter appears to be of excellent quality - $105 each. Size is almost the same - Lore is a bit taller speaker but paint options are also somewhat attractive.

To make this a bit more intersting, it would require at least few other audiophiles on the judging panel. Speakers shall be tested with at least two amplifier types and power rating. Volunteers welcome.

Then, we might  try to organize the Tekton Local  Tour but how we are going to do it and when it will take place is still in the works. 
Ones that is sorted out, you are more then welcome to sign in the appropriate thread.

......... depending on popularity we might extend the tour to audiophiles from others States. But first, let's get this thing rolling. 

Oh yeah, I might also add that just like Zu limited time offer, Tekton Design intro price will eventually go up.

I just hope that it is not going to happened till after the shoot out and tour.

........ and I am still anxiously awaiting Omens. 

Cheers
Mariusz   
« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2010, 02:02 am by Mariusz »

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #53 on: 2 Oct 2010, 08:57 pm »
For me..the Zu's look cooler!!! :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #54 on: 2 Oct 2010, 09:04 pm »
I might ask Alexander to finish tour pair in RED.  :wink:
However, it is going to be a "blind" test so looks are out the window.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #55 on: 2 Oct 2010, 09:11 pm »
Here is how bad I am, I'd order Omens right now without hearing them based solely on the looks if I was able...LOL!! Mariusz your Red ones will be sharp!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #56 on: 2 Oct 2010, 10:06 pm »
 :nono: 
Really ??? 
Looks alone???

Not me!

Yes, it is important to have higher WAF.
And it is the case mostly if not only when it comes to speakers. (wife is tolerant but it goes both ways)

IMO both speakers look kind of COOL.

But you are right - Zus do have that modern sexy look.

......and I am not sure if I picked them in the right color  :scratch:
On the phone, Zu rep said it is Red but it really looks kind of rustic.

Mariusz

Mariusz

« Reply #57 on: 3 Oct 2010, 02:09 am »
The best high power amp for Zu?
Anyone ?

I do not own any except Class D DIY amp. 

How did Zu mated with Chris's Butler during NJ Zu Rave???

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #58 on: 3 Oct 2010, 03:18 am »
How did Zu mated with Chris's Butler during NJ Zu Rave???

Very good....played for about two hours at the end of the Rave (basement room).....many different tracks.

They can handle power.... 8)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72591.msg720188#msg720188

Mariusz

« Reply #59 on: 3 Oct 2010, 03:37 am »
Very good....played for about two hours at the end of the Rave (basement room).....many different tracks.

They can handle power.... 8)

Chris
Would you like to be one of the judges in the shoot out? Ofcause your Butler would be more then welcome. 

Not sure about Zu but Alexander tells me that his speakers enjoy power and can handle itself without apology.

Mariusz