Altering HagDAC I/V

dsavitsk

Altering HagDAC I/V
« on: 10 May 2007, 06:23 am »
Hi Jim,

How difficult do you think it would be to remove R48, R49, L13, C40, and C41 (+ the other side), jumper over the resistors and inductor, and add an offboard I/V using a transformer and different resistor to the HagDAC? Or, in the alternative, is it possible to get an unassembled or partially assembled board?

And, while I'm asking, have you tried using a transformer on the input? I'm curious why there isn't one.

Thanks,

-d

hagtech

• Facilitator
    • http://www.hagtech.com
Re: Altering HagDAC I/V
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2007, 07:33 pm »
To remove surface mount components you need two soldering irons.  Do NOT try to do it with one, unless it is specifically designed for such purposes.  One tips on either side of a resistor or inductor will lift it off with ease.  I prefer not to build one with missing components as it makes it difficult to test properly.  I always do both functional and sonic testing on each HAGDAC before it leaves the factory.

The input transformer is off-board.  The HAGDAC is designed to be paired with the CHIME.  The partitioning just sort of came out that way.  All parts on HAGDAC are surface mount, CHIME mostly not.  HAGDAC is 4-layer circuit boards, CHIME is 2 layer.  There was no need to put transformer on the daughter card.  This kept the input selection separate.

jh