Another Auricap question for Clarinet

analog97

« on: 14 Jan 2006, 05:19 pm »
I have been confused since the get-go on Auricap orientation.  According to a picture on this site, the 2 C303's and 2 C301's have the red lead on the "inside" of the board.  Fine.  I am confused about the 2 C302's.  It looks like the trace goes to the inside position and I am guessing this is for the red lead?  Any help on this appreciated.  :D Also, is there any problem with the Auricaps sitting about a half-inch above the board?

analog97

« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2006, 04:15 pm »
Never mind.  I just gave it my best guess and soldered them in.  I think the Auricap "orientation" issue is marketing.  There is enough "evidence" on this site from people who had them in "backards", reversed them and heard no difference.  I am almost done with the Clarinet.  Why am I hurrying?  I still have 6 weeks to wait from Digikey for heatsinks.......

PatOMalley

• This text is personal
    • http://home.comcast.net/~omaille/audio/home.html
not polar
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2006, 09:53 pm »
my understanding is, is that they are not polar (+-) so it matters not where those ends go. for cosmetic purposes you can have them go in synch ...  :drums:

ohenry

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2006, 12:03 am »
The Audience folks told me a while back that the orientation would be more important in critical low-level signal applications such as phono stages and that no sonic issues should be evident in other situations.

edit: Their e-mail stated that it could cause a little noise in some situations.

IIRC, they also told me that one side connects to the outside and the other to the inside of the winding, so there is a physical difference as to which side is connected.  Whether that really matters I don't know, but I do try to determine the signal direction and do as they recommend.

PatOMalley

• This text is personal
    • http://home.comcast.net/~omaille/audio/home.html
picture
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2006, 12:43 am »
so is the final orientation for the bugle, as show in that picture in your gallery, correct?

ohenry

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2006, 01:27 am »
It is to the best of my knowledge.

hagtech

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2006, 03:11 am »
I've always installed the auricaps backwards.  To me, it made sense that the red lead would bias better on the more positive voltage side.  Yes, they are non-polar, but you never know it there is still some residual dielectric issue.

And I guessed wrong!  Word on the street says the black lead should be "input" side.  In that case, mine are backwards.  And as mentioned above, the feedback has been that nobody can tell the difference.  

If the outer electrode of the spiral is black, then I can understand connecting it to the low impedance or drive side of the signal.  Probably offers better rejection of interference.  Which isn't a problem inside the CORNET2 or CLARINET chassis.  

So decide for yourself.  These caps will sound good either way in a Hagtech machine.

jh :)