Roon? Cheapest DSD/Univeral Streamer?

sts9fan

Roon? Cheapest DSD/Univeral Streamer?
« on: 8 Jun 2015, 07:25 pm »
Seems pricey?  Seems cool?
Anyone using it?  I am going to start the trial in a bit.  Anyone know how good its syncs zones?

Whats the current cheapest DSD/Universal streamer?

jpm

Re: Roon? Cheapest DSD/Univeral Streamer?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2015, 08:36 pm »
I just checked the Oppo BDP-103 specs and it appears to support DSD. Not sure if it's the cheapest, but considering everything else that it does ...

I scored a factory refurbished unit for $415 late last week which I'm eagerly awaiting.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2015, 08:43 pm »
I just checked the Oppo BDP-103 specs and it appears to support DSD.

Yes it does

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2015, 12:26 pm »
Back on topic... could anyone tell me what Roon actually does? Is it some sort of uber library manager?

ACHiPo

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2015, 01:34 pm »
Yes it does
Does that mean I can use my Oppo 105 to rip SACDs?

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2015, 01:49 pm »

No - it won't do that

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2015, 01:50 pm »

No, I don't think so, because there is no way to get the DSD stream out of the Oppo. You could get the analog out and then use your own DSD-capable ADC to get a DSD recording of it, but I think that isn't what you were asking.

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2015, 01:51 pm »
Back to Roon. What is it exactly?

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2015, 01:52 pm »

There are threads like these - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105203.msg1444861#new

I have the right PS3 and can do them as well (not a big deal) or there are vendors that sell them and you can do them on your own.

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2015, 01:53 pm »

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2015, 01:57 pm »
Sorry Phil, but I'm SO sick off this rubbish where an answer to a simple question means wading through a thread on some other bullshit site. I started another another thread HERE if anyone can provide an answer. Thank you. Here is my new thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=135955.0

Thank you :)

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jul 2015, 02:00 pm »
John - was curious myself so I went through some of the answers on the Computer Audiophile (still looking thru them)

ACHiPo

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jul 2015, 02:01 pm »

Back to Roon. What is it exactly?
:oops: Sorry for highjacking.

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jul 2015, 02:08 pm »
I've been reading through the Computer Audiophile and posting info on the other thread that John created.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 14 Jul 2015, 03:04 pm »
A streamer will effect music playback quality substantially.  If one does not care about quality so much, then the "cheapest" may suffice, but really good Ethernet audio Renderers are going to cost something significant.  This is an area of playback development which is moving pretty quickly, I feel that Ethernet Renderers with digital output (to a DAC), and Etherent DACs (with built in rendering) will supplant other methods of digital playback in the near future.
There are a  lot of technical advantages to Ethernet distributed audio, and more and more homes are wired for Ethernet (at this point wireless is still a bit buggy in real world use, especially for higher resolution formats).
It appears to me that ROON is for those who really want the most possible information at their fingertips, it is pretty cool.

sts9fan

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jul 2015, 04:27 pm »
:nose in the air: "if one does not care about quality bla bla bla"

I am very confident in my ability to build a system. I need a streamer I can use in multiple zones and have them all sync perfectly. I think the aurilic mini streamer looks very promising. I have 3TB if DSD files so I would love to get them flowing whole house.