Ifi ipurifier3

sresener

Ifi ipurifier3
« on: 9 Mar 2019, 06:50 pm »
Hey everyone
I recently purchased a ifi ipower and I was impressed with the quality I heard from it.

So after hearing so much positive about the ipurifier3 I decided to give it a try hoping it may clean up the signal a little more.

I don't know if this has a burn in but i did let it run at low volume for about 24 hours.

I had one recording in mind to test this out  (Holy Cole - Larger than Life - dsd ) The beginning of the song (at fairly loud volumes) really tests my systems sound floor.

I started the song and l it was plain as day that this ipurifier was doing somthing. There was no reduction in my slight background "hiss" but there was a  higher frequency noise I never heard before. Then when the brushes start going across the drums well with the ifi purifier I had a hard time telling what that subtitle sound was (im hearing this from 10 feet away) So I pause playback crank the volume to max and whoa the whine is measurably there (literally). I reboot everything still there, remove the ifi ipurifier3 and whola not there.

The ipurifier3 was connected from my passivly cooled ssd ran ifi powered computer to my smsl su-8 dac, and im using a audioquest carbon usb cable.

I have always had multi channel surround setups and  Right now im in the process of figuring out what my 2 channel listening sytem will be, hence all the tinkering with my source to my tempory dac.

Anything else I should trying as I figure this probably is a defective item.

« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2019, 03:14 pm by sresener »

sresener

Re: Ifi ipurifier3
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2019, 09:43 pm »
It was easier to order another one than attempt to trouble shoot.

The second one did not have the noise issue so it seams the first one was defective.

sresener

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2019, 04:34 am »
This is a pretty slow forum.

For anyone who may care, I can not hear any improvement with the ipurifier3 in my system with my smsl su8
Im getting a new dac (nuprime evo)  ill try it with that and see if it improves anything. If not back to amazon it goes :)

Also I was quite suprised how ifi does not seem to want to sell dacs, I emailed them with questions on there pro iDSD and got no real answers.

audiobomber

« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2019, 08:33 pm »
If your computer has a USB port, you might try the iPurifier3 with a USB 3.0 cable. According to iFi, the improved speed of the connection should suppress noise more effectively.

My headphone configuration is; Dell 7000 laptop USB 3.0 port > iDefender > Belkin USB 3.0 cable > iPurifier2 > Korg DS-DAC-10R > Asgard 2 > DT 1990 Pro

The iDefender powers the DAC via a 5V iPower.

IME, powering the DAC separately using the iDefender or a dual head cable is worthwhile. The power supply to the laptop itself doesn't seem to matter.

sresener

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2019, 04:32 pm »
I did contact ifi customer support and it was borderline silly the amount of troubleshooting they were asking of me. And it was even sillier that I did it.

It was pretty simple no noise without ipurifier in the system and noise with it. So I exchanged it and the second one did not introduce any noise so clearly somthing was wrong with the first one.

I tried everything including usb 3 cables.

I have a purpose built pc with no moving parts to power my dac (ssd drive, 100% passively cooled, no wifi card ect ect.) (All my laptops and regular htpc's sounded considerably worse.) One thing I can say without a doubt is the Power supply quality to my computer made a unbelievably huge difference in sound quality.

My htpc's both run quality seasonic power supplies and the amount of noise that was added with both computers was unbearable.

Also to add I am a contractor and have wired my system with 3 separate 20 amp plugs each run with 10-2 wire in the walls to there own 20 amp breaker.  And everything except my amplifiers are plugged into there own panamax m-5400-pm

Maybe the ipurifier3 would do somthing in a system that is introducing noise via moving drives fans, switching power supplies or less than perfect household wiring, but in my situation it did absolutely nothing to improve sound.

sresener

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2019, 04:35 pm »
Is there a different forum ifi participates in?

audiobomber

« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2019, 05:08 pm »
Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that you could eliminate the whistle type noise in the first iPurifier3. That unit was defective and returning it was a good call. I was talking about digital type noise that presents as jitter, etc in your DAC. Nothing that you would hear as an actual sound, but as deteriorated SQ.

I find it odd that you can't hear any difference with the iP3. I have the iP2, which had a net negative effect used in between my sms-200 streamer and the Korg DAC. Used with my Dell 7000 laptop, it improves the sound. In either case though, I can clearly hear the difference when the iPurifier is in the system.

audiobomber

sresener

« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2019, 05:56 pm »
Try here:
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/45626-ifi-ipurifier30-official-even-purer/?tab=comments#comment-915993

I really wanted to hear a difference.

I have never tried the ipurifier with my laptop or a htpc, maybe it excels at removing noises that can be introduced from a source with moving parts from hardrives or active cooling.

Im no engineer and could be wrong but I thought the ipurifer worked similar to a xlr cable for reducing unwanted noises.

audiobomber

« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2019, 09:30 pm »
Im no engineer and could be wrong but I thought the ipurifer worked similar to a xlr cable for reducing unwanted noises.
A balanced cable gets rid of induced or ground hum by passively cancelling common mode noise, preferred for long runs.

An iPurifier is an active processor, reclocking the data and cancelling digital noise by generating a countering signal.

sresener

« Reply #10 on: 12 Apr 2019, 04:57 am »
Well I tried it with my new nuprime evo dac, and it took me about 5 seconds to realize it made things a bit worse. Off to audiosciencereview it goes :)

OzarkTom

« Reply #11 on: 12 Apr 2019, 05:10 am »
Well I tried it with my new nuprime evo dac, and it took me about 5 seconds to realize it made things a bit worse. Off to audiosciencereview it goes :)

Everything has a break-in period. Even The I-purifier. I bet your DAC will even sound better to you after 100-300 hours. I would burn your DAC in for at least 300 hours.
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2019, 08:39 am by OzarkTom »

sresener

« Reply #12 on: 12 Apr 2019, 05:49 am »
Oh I agree the dac should sound better with a few hundred hours on it. But this dac sounds pretty darn nice right from the start.
I have really givin this ipurifier a chance I must have at least 100hrs on it. I feel I have spent so much time trying to like it that I have to send it out to have the thing professionally measured just to see what its actually doing.

And who knows it may be improving things and I may prefer lower quality music.

iFi David

• iFi audio NEO Stream is here!
    • iFi audio
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jul 2019, 08:36 pm »
Hi,

It's been a while since we posted in here and now we're back!

In a nutshell, feedback we gathered thus far on all our USB cleaners is positive. This of course doesn't mean that these products will satisfy every single person out there.

sresener, changes in sound you should look for with USB tweaks are smoothness increase and grain removal, if the so-called musical canvas with all instruments on it is less grainy, these become more easily seen and present, oftentimes bass control improves as well. These changes might require some adjustment time and be perceived as subtle early on, but once our ears are used to them, there's no going back.

It's strange that you didn't hear any improvements, but once in a while a product doesn't meet expectations of a customer and that's fine. Thanks for giving our iPurifier a shot, though!

A_shah

« Reply #14 on: 6 Sep 2019, 09:36 pm »
Although I have no problems with my Desk top system  which has a mac Mini going into a Schiit Gungnir DAC to QuickSliver Tube headphone amplifier  > LCD-X, the 2nd outputs from the DAC are going into Kef LS50WS (stand mount) although the Kef do have their own DAC but just to get a different Flavour of Sound I do that via Zu mission  Silver Cables.

Recently purchased a dual headed JCAT USB reference cable was very surprised to hear the Sound Quality of the speakers as well the Headphones. I did not want to send my DAC back to schiit for an USB 5 upgrade which would have cost me $ 150 plus shipping I decided  I should try the ISI Purifier 3 purchased through Amazon prime figure if I did not like it or no improvement I could send it back in 30 days
MacMini> JCAT (with separate power supply head ) > IFI P3 > Gungnir DAC >HP& 2nd analog  outputs to KEF LS50W.
Big difference in detail ! dynamic , soundstage , even the slight grain gone and Huge BASS ! both with  HP and LS50W now I prefer to listen to the LS50 through the gungnir instead of it's internal DAC  directly .
This IFI P3 is certainly not going back I have very good desktop  system this purifier 3 just took it to a higher level . :popcorn: 

iFi David

• iFi audio NEO Stream is here!
    • iFi audio
« Reply #15 on: 18 Sep 2019, 06:34 pm »
This IFI P3 is certainly not going back I have very good desktop  system this purifier 3 just took it to a higher level . :popcorn:

Thanks!