Speakers recommendations and RMAF 2007

martyo

Speakers recommendations and RMAF 2007
« on: 14 Jul 2007, 08:23 pm »
Hi.
I currently own Carver ALS Platinum's. I love the big full range "wall of sound" they provide, especially when I am "trying" to reproduce a Dead or Cheese or similar type "jamband" concert. Awhile back I upgraded my electronics to an AVA Ultra 550 amp and Transcendence 8 preamp. They certainly put new life into the Platinum's but as far as resolution the AVA pieces are a few notches above the Carvers to put it mildly. I'm looking to upgrade my speakers which could prove difficult with my music sources. I've been partial to ribbon or planer type speakers in the past but in addition to the Magnaplaner 3.6's I'm open to checking out some more "conventional" type speakers. I will be auditioning the Salk's HT3's(which is nice because they will be driven by the same AVA pieces I own) and the VMPS 40's at RMAF. A fellow circle member suggested I check out your speakers. I'm looking for full range and  improved resolution to the Carvers and staying within a budget under $5K. Other than the price, I believe the toughest piece will be increased resolution, etc. on well recorded source material while still being able to enjoy the live "jam band" concerts that are such a big part of my listening.

Which of your products would you recommend, will that product be at RMAF, and will I be able to listen to a couple of my cuts at the show?

regards,

Marty
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2007, 12:09 am by martyo »

tdangelo

Re: Speakers recommendations and RMAF 2007
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2007, 09:55 pm »
Hopefully Al will bring the Apex II this year.  We just moved and I now have a 16x23x14 room with an open back - coming from a 12x14x9.  Wow what a difference!!  My system finally sounds like I knew it could - depth, dynamics, imaging, staging etc.......  Everything is MUCH better!  I'm glad I stuck it out with the Apex - they looked huge in my small room - now they look just right ;)  See ya at RMAF ;)

Tony

martyo

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2007, 12:33 am »
Hi tdangelo,
Very nice. :thumb: Looks like you have some kind of acoustic treatment behind the speakers. Is that for the bass? Do you use the rear firing speaker? What kind of music do you listen to? Questions, Questions.

Thanks,
Marty

PeteG

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2007, 01:13 am »
Hopefully Al will bring the Apex II this year.  We just moved and I now have a 16x23x14 room with an open back - coming from a 12x14x9.  Wow what a difference!!  My system finally sounds like I knew it could - depth, dynamics, imaging, staging etc.......  Everything is MUCH better!  I'm glad I stuck it out with the Apex - they looked huge in my small room - now they look just right ;)  See ya at RMAF ;)

Tony

Tony,

That's great, That's exactly what I need to improve my sound.

Pete

tdangelo

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2007, 12:31 pm »
Hi tdangelo,
Very nice. :thumb: Looks like you have some kind of acoustic treatment behind the speakers. Is that for the bass? Do you use the rear firing speaker? What kind of music do you listen to? Questions, Questions.

Thanks,
Marty

Thanks Marty ;)  The pic you prob. looked at is my old room - here's the new room:

The rear corners behind the speakers have 2 GIK tri-corners in each corner - next to them are the GIK Monsters and in between 2 GIK 244 panels - the upper panels are GIK 242.  In the upper corners I have the 8th Nerve Adept V3 corners - they are also in the back corners along with 2 8th Nerve Adept seams.  I also have 2 more GIK Tricorners in one rear corner - the other corner opens to a kitchen nook.  For the 1st reflection points I use a Silent Source 4x8x2 fabric covered rigid fiberglass. I do use the rear ambience midrange on the Apex but only very slightly.  I find the speakers focus better with that driver turned down low.  I like all sorts of music - old progressive and jazz - new age - most everything but rap...

Tony
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2007, 09:17 pm by tdangelo »

tdangelo

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2007, 12:32 pm »

Tony

Tony,

That's great, That's exactly what I need to improve my sound.

Pete

:D  only took me 3 years.  The wife has been nice to - she doesn't have any problem with whatever I'm doing in the room.  I just need to paint it a littler darker now ;)

Tony

martyo

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2007, 08:57 am »
Which of your products would you recommend, will that product be at RMAF, and will I be able to listen to a couple of my cuts at the show?
??
Hopefully Al will bring the Apex II this year.
The Apex II looks to fit my criteria, Tony makes it sound as if you will be at RMAF, will the Apex be there?

Regards

Marty

RAW

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2007, 02:25 pm »
Marty
We have made the choice this year to skip RMAF , this was not a easy thing to do.But in the end we had to over look RMAF this year.

As far as the Apex II going to the show if we did go.As I stated in my email to you, the Apex II would over load the standard room so bad treatment would have to be maximum as possible.

For those who have listened to our smaller HT3 at RMAF last year.These little HT3 were over powering the room with bass and we had more treatment than 99% of the other vendors at the show.

Next year you never know. aa

Please contract Steven he is close to you and maybe he can provide a demo for you.

RAW

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jul 2007, 02:26 pm »
Tony.
Nice room by the way. :drums:

tdangelo

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jul 2007, 08:16 pm »
Tony.
Nice room by the way. :drums:

Thanks Al,  I just got done repainting it a darker color for the second time....  The first time wasn't dark enough  :duh: :duh:

Sorry to hear you won't be making it to RMAF  :(

Tony

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jul 2007, 04:18 am »
Al.....

We have made the choice this year to skip RMAF , this was not a easy thing to do.But in the end we had to over look RMAF this year.

Sorry to hear that Al...you had a nice room in 2006...glad I got to hear it. :thumb:

Chris