GR Research B24 Power Cable

HT1278

GR Research B24 Power Cable
« on: 4 Mar 2022, 05:58 pm »
Where is it most important to use a B24 power cable?  Is it just the receiver, or anything plugged into power on the same surge suppressor, or near speaker wires, or near the speakers?

Reason I ask is that I have 8 other items plugged into the same surge suppressor as the one powering the Marantz NR1403 receiver. 

Obviously it will get very expensive to get these power cables for for all 9 items, so I wanted to know at a minimum where do we get the most bang for your buck on when to use these B24 power cables.  In addition, some of the 8 other items do not have the Nema C14 input plug outlet on it (Nema C13),  like on the B24 Power cable.  Some of the power cables for other devices are just small round plugs for power, not these larger ones like on the B24 Power Cable. 

As an example I have a Puffin DSP Phono Preamp w/Toslink (optical) plugged into the same surge suppressor.  That device just has a small round power input on it, not the kind on the B24 power cable. 

NIGHTFALL1970

Re: GR Research B24 Power Cable
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2022, 06:09 pm »
Danny said in a YouTube video that source gear (like a transport or CD player) will give most bang for the buck.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2022, 06:45 pm »
All of my source gear uses proprietary power connectors or USB, so the best place for the B24 was on the DAC. There were benefits on the Preamp as well, but not to nearly the same extent as the DAC. And the only real benefit on power amps is slightly better effeciency.

HT1278

« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2022, 08:25 pm »
Is your DAC, a receiver.  Or a standalone DAC?  Source gear like a turntable?  Would a TV be considered source gear also?  I imagine anything where the signal starts at.  What I also though since I am getting a new electrical outlet in the wall installed perhaps I should just put in a few outlets so that some of the power does not have to go as close to the other equipment, for example the power for the TV could be an outlet directly behind the TV.  The only issue is that if the outlets are connected together I read that there could be a ground loop so it is best to connect all of the equipment to the same outlet on the wall if possible?  Basically I have two shelves on the wall for the equipment and a TV above those shelves. 

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2022, 09:25 pm »
I first but the B16 cord on my blu-ray player. Then I moved it to my DAC and I think it sounds better on the DAC.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2022, 12:30 am »
Is your DAC, a receiver.  Or a standalone DAC?  Source gear like a turntable?  Would a TV be considered source gear also?  I imagine anything where the signal starts at.  What I also though since I am getting a new electrical outlet in the wall installed perhaps I should just put in a few outlets so that some of the power does not have to go as close to the other equipment, for example the power for the TV could be an outlet directly behind the TV.  The only issue is that if the outlets are connected together I read that there could be a ground loop so it is best to connect all of the equipment to the same outlet on the wall if possible?  Basically I have two shelves on the wall for the equipment and a TV above those shelves.

The DAC I was using at the time was a Holo Spring DAC. But I had to give it back to the friend I was borrowing I from.

Source gear for me is my old Surface Pro 3 tablet connected directly via USB. My current DAC is a small $200 USB powered headphone DAC/amp powered by said tablet. Not nearly as nuce as the Spring DAC, but it gets the job done.

Technically, yes, a TV is considered source gear, however it's not particularly good quality gear. Most TVs I've come across only use the 2-prong C7 connectors. While the B24 uses a standard 3-prong IEC connection.

I also have the PS Audio Sprout 100 that has DAC/Amp built in, and when using it I have the B24 plugged into it. Though the differences between B16/24 on the Sprout arent as drastic as on the separates.

If you're using a stereo receiver or integrated DAC/Amp unit then just plug the B24 into your main receiver/combo unit.