New Phono stage: PH 9.0 MM/MC with on-the-fly loading!

PierreB

Re: New Phono stage: PH 9.0 MM/MC with on-the-fly loading!
« Reply #100 on: 18 Mar 2020, 12:51 am »
Enjoy PierreB and welcome to the MWI family!

Dan Wright

Thanks.
If I use the balance outputs, does the gain go up 6db. (70db instead of 64db for a MC cartridge)

modwright

« Reply #101 on: 18 Mar 2020, 04:36 pm »
Because we create balanced outputs with the use of 1:1 output transformers, there will not be an additional 6dB of gain.

We offer this as an option for those who need to run long balanced cable runs only. There is no other sonic advantage to this.

Thanks,

Dan

PierreB

« Reply #102 on: 18 Mar 2020, 08:00 pm »
^^^ thanks.

RonP

« Reply #103 on: 24 Mar 2020, 10:05 pm »
Picked up mine from UPS this morning. About to unbox this baby. I'm in the family now!!  8)

modwright

« Reply #104 on: 24 Mar 2020, 11:32 pm »
Thanks RonP!

Dan Wright

RonP

« Reply #105 on: 8 May 2020, 02:00 am »
Hey Dan, How much warm up time should we allow for the PH 9.0 to hit optimum sound?

When I remember to do it, I try to do ~10 mins.

modwright

« Reply #106 on: 8 May 2020, 02:10 am »
I would say that 10 minutes is about right.  The tubes reach operating temp pretty fast.

Thanks,

Dan

Nonnegativ

« Reply #107 on: 8 Jul 2020, 07:25 pm »
Modwright PH 9.0 has replaced my former ASR Basis Exclusive in my humble listening room here in Denmark.

I had noticed that my listening sessions always ended with me analyzing the Music in HiFi-terms: Perspective, reproduction af various Frequencies etc. etc. While this might be interesting in the short term, this is not the goal of my gear. I want to feel emotions through Music, and realize that the right part of my brain still works ok ;-)

I have therefore during corona-lockdown been through a lenghty trial of various phonostages at home in the 3K $ segment available here in DK.

The Modwright PH 9.0 ended up as a clear winner. Only one other phonostage could match it on ability to express the inner tones of the Music, but the PH 9.0 won by a large margin on Dynamics, Perspective and ability to go low. With Telefunken E88CC from '69 it is absolutely glorios, and it is now impossible not to be drawn into the Music.

I have also for the first time in 10 years experienced that Harbeth SHL5 can actually deliver a deep low punch ;-)

I am extremely pleased with my Modwright PH 9.0 and also with the Danish Distributor, which is rightfully quite famous amoung audiophiles here in DK for his service - it is second to none.

All my best & keep up the good work.
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2020, 09:59 pm by Nonnegativ »

jtsnead

« Reply #108 on: 18 Aug 2020, 03:23 pm »
The Modwright PH 9.0 ended up as a clear winner. Only one other phonostage could match it on ability to express the inner tones of the Music, but the PH 9.0 won by a large margin on Dynamics, Perspective and ability to go low. With Telefunken E88CC from '69 it is absolutely glorios, and it is now impossible not to be drawn into the Music.

I have also for the first time in 10 years experienced that Harbeth SHL5 can actually deliver a deep low punch ;-)

I am extremely pleased with my Modwright PH 9.0 and also with the Danish Distributor, which is rightfully quite famous amoung audiophiles here in DK for his service - it is second to none.

Wow great review the ASR is highly thought of Thanks
All my best & keep up the good work.
[/quote]

modwright

« Reply #109 on: 18 Aug 2020, 03:59 pm »
Thank you for your feedback!

The PH 9.0 continues to be a best seller for us and I am very happy with it!

The only phono stage we make that is better, is the PH 150, and that produce is $5K higher in price!

The goal of the PH 9.0 was to provide the maximum performance at a price-point that is reasonable and represents very high value.

Take care and enjoy!

Dan

jtsnead

modwright

« Reply #111 on: 31 Dec 2020, 12:14 am »
Hi Guys, here are the photos and details!

Details: Cost = $995 for the upgrade.
Gapped Lundahl transformer based output stage is implemented in the same way as the $7900 PH 150, that the PH 9.0 is based upon. Output coupling caps are eliminated as are a pair of chokes. XLR outputs are added and a switch for RCA or XLR output. Both RCA and XLR outputs are fed from the Lundahl's and thus both benefit the same.

I am posting photos that show a stock PH 9.0 with stock balanced output circuit, consisting of a pair of Edcore 1:1 output transformers to create the balanced outs. RCA outs bypass the transformers.
Retail cost is $3200 ($2900 + $300 for XLR upgrade).

The new upgrade includes the Lundahl transformers, which of course includes fully balanced outputs also and a significant improvement in sonics!

To me, the biggest area of sonic improvement is body, weight, impact and presence. It takes the PH 9.0 THAT much closer to our Reference PH 150, for $995, vs. the $5K difference in cost between the PH 9.0 and PH 150.

Stock PH 9.0 with XLR outs. Edcor output transformers for XLR outs only, $3200 ($2900 + $300 XLR outputs)

Upgraded PH 9.0 with gapped Lundahl output transformers and fully balanced XLR and RCA outs, $3895 ($2900 + $995 for Lundahl upgrade, fully balanced).

nature boy

« Reply #112 on: 31 Dec 2020, 12:37 am »
SWEET! I'm in on this upgrade, boxing up my PH 9.0 tomorrow for the trip west.

NB

RonP

« Reply #113 on: 31 Dec 2020, 05:29 pm »
Another upgrade I need!

billc

« Reply #114 on: 3 Jan 2021, 09:33 pm »
Dan, this is fantastic news!   :D

I remember the last time I was in actual physical company of audiophiles, when we met at the VPI House in NJ on March 1 of last year, and you were talking about the potential for transformer upgrades to the PH 9.0.  I was very excited to hear your plans, but have held off inquiring due to covid craziness and how it has affected manufacturers and the audio world.  So this is very good news indeed.  8)  I will follow up with you on a travel plan for my PH 9.0, which has been incredible sounding since its arrival, but this mod looks to be a nice step up.

Happy New Year to all!

Bill C

GregC

« Reply #115 on: 3 Jan 2021, 11:51 pm »
I packed up my PH 9.0 and it will be to Dan's shop on Wednesday.  I have already been amazed with the sound, so I am anxious to hear how much better it can get.

modwright

PH 9.0X Upgrade!!!
« Reply #116 on: 20 Jan 2021, 06:15 pm »
PH 9.0X Details and Benefits!

This on our website, but I wanted to give the full details here also.

What the PH 9.0X upgrade includes:

The upgrade to the PH 9.0X involves the addition of a pair of Lundahl gapped output transformers,
commonly used in SET tube amps. The addition of these transformers also means the elimination of a
pair of chokes and coupling caps, all in the signal path.

Why this upgrade?:
The circuit change made to the PH 9.0X, make it much closer to the PH 150 in terms of overall circuit
design. Various other circuit differences in the PH 9.0 vs. the PH 150 were implemented, to see where
the PH 9.0 could be improved. Most either made no difference, or for whatever reason, did not sound as
good in the PH 9.0. This circuit change however DOES make a difference. The use of the Lundahl output
transformers was one of the cost cutting design changes made to the PH 150 to achieve the PH 9.0. I
found that the improvements were simply big enough that it warranted offering the upgrade, as an add
cost option for the PH 9.0.

Sonic Benefits:
The sonic benefits of this circuit change are obvious and significant! There is better bottom end, more
weight and authority to the sound as well as improved resolution, detail and soundstage.

Technical Explanation:
Eliminating the coupling caps simply cleans up the signal because no coupling cap sounds better than
the best coupling cap. This can be done, because the output transformers can absorb the DC voltage
present at the outputs that the coupling caps otherwise block.
The chokes are replaced also, as the primary winding of the output transformer serves the same
purpose, but does so with a much higher inductance, translating to better bass and performance.

nature boy

« Reply #117 on: 22 Jan 2021, 11:23 am »
Letting the new Lundahl transformer burn in on my new PH 9.0X modifications. Listening bimpressions after about 100 hours.

NB
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2021, 10:20 pm by nature boy »

Nonnegativ

« Reply #118 on: 23 Jan 2021, 12:07 pm »
How about international customers - can the modification be done by authorised dealers/ technicians abroad ?

I an quite entrigued by this modification, since I bought the PH-9 with balanced out, but PH-9 imo. loses a lot of its "soul" running XLR.

I fear I have fight customs about whether it is a new product or a repair if I ship to US. Customs normally win :-(

Best Wishes from Denmark

nature boy

« Reply #119 on: 23 Jan 2021, 12:51 pm »
You might want to email Dan Wright directly or leave him a PM to see if he can offer a solution. Perhaps he has an authorized distributor overseas that could be helpful?

NB