DAC/Headphone Amp combo

Mariusz

Re: DAC/Headphone Amp combo
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jun 2009, 07:21 pm »
Vinnie,
 Thanks for the warm welcome here at AudioCircle. It is greatly appreciated by me.
 Have you given the silver wiring upgrade anymore thoughts. were there any other upgrades, parts, etc. that you were are considering using in the Isabellina HPA?
 Are you any closer to a est. release date of the Isabellina HPA?
 Here is to hoping that you do a run of t-shirts too!
joe
I guess wire and interconnects are subjective (and system dependent). I have 100% Red Wine electronics & Omega speakers, with only one interconnect. Spent considerable time A/Bing Hudson 8-wire silver to the IC I now use (manufacture does not disclose construction). Ended up selling the silver. Silver may have had the slightest edge on leading edge detail, and might even have had a tad more air, but the cable I use produces a fuller, more rounded sound, which to my ear sounds more organic / lifelike.

To each his own  :beer:

Kent

Agree

In case of Omega speakers - solid core copper works best for me.
With my own speakers ...... ? It depends. I had good results with LAT cables ( silver infused copper ) as well as new line of Bella EXtreme (Response Audio) copper wires (which I might be selling as an option with my speakers).

But at the end, it is all system dependent and personal preferences.

Cheers
Mariusz :thumb:

jallis

« Reply #21 on: 9 Jun 2009, 07:46 pm »
kent,
 i know what you mean about the wires. up until recently my one and only headphones were the sennheiser hd600. the first replacement cable i used was the SAA Equinox which did sound much better than the stock cable. my main grip with it was the outer coviering. the nylon felt really rough to me and i found that it rub several spots on my arm raw. overall i felt soundwise i could do better. i did try the cardas and did not like it at all. i found the sound to be rather sharp/harsh. i did burn in all the cable with at least three to four days of 24/7 music.
 i happened to see a post somewhere at head-fi about double helix cables and before you know it peter sent me one of his brand new Sigma cables with the multifilament coverings. the wire is the cryoparts treated TWcu. it also uses a furutech plug. the sound to my ears is much better than the SAA Equinox. i really like how the soundstage is wide open from the lowest lows all the way to the highest highs. i listen to a variety of music types from jazz to new age electronics to 60's and early 70's rock.
i am now the new owner of a pair of hd800 and have been enjoying them quite abit and i believe that peter will be bringing out a Sigma cable for them in august.
cheers joe

jallis

« Reply #22 on: 9 Jun 2009, 08:00 pm »
Mariusz,
 you aren't kidding! i've been down the speaker and interconnect cable merry go around too many times since i started doing serious equipment purchases(well my idea of serious) back in 1990 while stationed in germany.
 my current speaker cables are from Calabrine  www.calabrine.com which i found to be well contructed and sound fantastic and the cost to me are very reasonable.
 my hdmi and xlr cables are all from blue jeans cables  www.bluejeanscable.com  which i found to be of excellent quality yet but priced at a reasonable level.
now are these all the rolls royce of cables...? im sure many would argue that they arent even close, but to me they are just fine.
 any thoughts you have and would like to share would be appreciated.
joe

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #23 on: 10 Jun 2009, 02:57 pm »
All,

I'd like to keep this thread on topic (not about cables  :wink:) if possible, and thank you for your understanding.

------------

I posted this on Headfi, but I want to duplicate it here:

FOR EVERYONE INTERESTED in the Isabellina HPA >> please send me an email (do not use audiocircle PM) to: vinnie@redwineaudio.com

and I will add your name to the Isabellina HPA "pre-order list."

-- Please state if you would like the RCA outputs to be "fixed output" (direct from the Isabellina dac), or "variable" (controlled via the remote volume control on the front panel).

I will not be taking payment until we have all the parts and are in "production mode," but now is a great time to get on the pre-order list and this will help me gauge how many people are interested in purchasing from this initial production batch (which will also help me finalize the pricing for this batch).

If we can get 10 or more customers to commit to this first batch, I should be able to set the pricing closer to $2k. (remember, the Isabellina dac alone sells for $2.5k, and this unit is identical, PLUS adds the Isabella headphone output stage and remote volume control).

*** After this pre-order batch, please note that the price will increase. ***

Regarding the FIXED vs. VARIABLE rca output jacks:

You can order the Isabellina HPA with "fixed" RCA outputs, or "variable" RCA outputs.

FIXED - For this option, the output from the Isabellina dac gets fed directly to the RCA outputs. This is a 2Vrms fixed output that you can feed to another headphone amplifier, or home audio preamplifier, or home audio integrated amplifier. In this configuration, it works exactly like the stand-alone Isabellina dac: Red Wine Audio Isabellina

VARIABLE - For this option, the output from the Isabellina dac passes through the volume control before passing to the RCA outputs. This option is great if you plan to feed your Isabellina HPA directly into a home audio power amp. The volume control is like a "passive preamp" (no voltage gain). Most power amps can be driven to full output power with 2Vrms.

-- I suspect that the majority of you will go with the FIXED outputs, but there might be some of you who want to also use their Isabellina HPA connected directly to a home audio power amp and the VARIABLE feature is perfect for this.

-- What is stated above applies for the RCA output jacks. Some of you who are only using the Isabellina HPA as a headphone amp will not even care about the RCA output jacks (but you might down the road, especially if you want to integrated your Isabellina HPA into a home audio system, or use it as a dac to feed a different headphone amplifer).

Thanks again,

Vinnie

jallis

« Reply #24 on: 10 Jun 2009, 04:26 pm »
Vinnie,
 whoops! my bad.... i got carried away with enthusiasm! Back on track.....!
 you know that i am in for one isabellina hpa fixed output.
joe

jallis

« Reply #25 on: 10 Jun 2009, 09:53 pm »
Vinnie,
 Can the RCA jacks be eliminated all together? i plan to only use my Isabellina HPA on my desktop with usb out from my computer. i have no need for them and if doing so would simplfy the building of it, then i am all for it.
 what if, i don't have any need for the toslink or coax connectors, can they be eliminated as well? based on what i've read here and at head-fi. plus the 6moon reviews, it seems like the usb is the best(especially with the isabella/isabellina with the hpa option) way to listen to music using the computer. why add extra's when you don't need them.
 in regards to usb, i am using a pc running windows 7 and not an apple mini, etc. i know that the reviewer at 6moons is a big apple fan and so are a lot of others here as well. would i be better off just buying for ex. a apple mini and using it only for my computer music? i am thinking that it would be getting complicated trying to use both even with a good kvm switch.

joe

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #26 on: 11 Jun 2009, 03:16 pm »
Hi Joe,

The Isabellina HPA will only be offered with the 3 digital inputs and the RCA outputs.  We will not be offering a version with fewer features.

i am using a pc running windows 7 and not an apple mini, etc. i know that the reviewer at 6moons is a big apple fan and so are a lot of others here as well. would i be better off just buying for ex. a apple mini and using it only for my computer music?

There is nothing wrong with using a PC - you can get equally great results no matter if you use a PC or Mac...

Best regards,

Vinnie

jallis

« Reply #27 on: 11 Jun 2009, 03:19 pm »
Vinnie,
 thanks for the reply on both questions. i have always wondered over the years if there really was or wasn't a real sound quality difference between listening to lossless on either a pc or a mac. it is good to know that i'll be happy either way.
jeo

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #28 on: 19 Jun 2009, 09:05 pm »
All,

Just a quick note to let you know that we are making really nice progress on the Isabellina HPA.

We have a working prototype here that sounds fantastic!  :drool:

We'll be using ALO Audio silver-in-cotton wiring for the signal path, and oil-impregnated Vcaps for the headphone amp input.  We found that this delivers the best balance of tone, detail, and dynamics.  The Isabellina dac really sings together with this headphone stage  :singing:

Parts are on order, and most of them have some lead-time.  We hope to have all the parts within 3 weeks, and then we'll be ready to start production!  :whip:

Also, the pre-order list for this first batch has grown.  Looks like the pricing for the first batch (for those of you on the pre-order list) will be $2100 per unit.  Remember, this price will being going up quite a bit after this first batch, so now is the time to get a great deal!  Please email me to be added to the list for this first batch. 

Have a great weekend, and Happy Fathers Day to all you "audio dads" out there!  :green:

Vinnie

knut_the_viking

Re: "Time-to-market" record
« Reply #29 on: 23 Jun 2009, 08:22 pm »
I just stumbled on this thread, and I have to say I'm impressed by Vinnie and Red Wine Audio:
This is remarkable agility for a company... One end-user really make a difference in small markets...

4/29: User suggests a new product.
Deliberations and brainstorming ensue
6/3: Manufacturer starts work on prototype
6/10: Pre-order period starts
6/19: Prototype ready
Mid-July: Production expected to start

All this is truly amazing. Try that with Sony...

Now, if only I had the finances to call Vinnie... (Not the call itself, of course, unlimited nationwide calling and all, but ya know what I mean...)

~Knut
(forever doomed to save up for the next big thing: Currently saving up for Gemme Tanto speakers)
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2009, 11:42 pm by knut_the_viking »

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #30 on: 24 Jun 2009, 11:37 pm »
Hi Knut,

Thank you for your post!

This is remarkable agility for a company... One end-user really make a difference in small markets...

Since RWA is small, we can usually react quickly to our customers' needs.  Yes, one-end user DOES make a difference!  While I admit that we cannot meet everyones needs, we do listen and we ALWAYS appreciate the feedback from our customers and those who might be our customers in the future  :wink:

Thanks again for your post!

Vinnie

Afterimage

« Reply #31 on: 3 Jul 2009, 02:28 am »
I was the one that started the thread.  However, after I posted I felt kind of bad because I changed my mind about buying the DAC/headamp combo.   I pulled my Isabella preamp/DAC out of my main stereo system in the basement because my kids, who are getting older now, hang out down there all the time and I can't listen to my speakers system as much anymore.  I put the Isabella in as the DAC for my headphone system, which is in another part of the house,  and now I listen to headphones 90% of the time.  I am very glad that there seems to be enough interest to make this a worthwhile venture for Vinnie. 

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #32 on: 3 Jul 2009, 07:59 pm »
I am very glad that there seems to be enough interest to make this a worthwhile venture for Vinnie. 

Hi Afterimage,

It was a fantastic idea and I appreciate your post!

We are very close to beginning production on the Isabellina HPAs - just waiting on the front panels  :hyper:

Integrating the Isabellina dac and Isabella's headphone output stage into one box was something that I should have thought of a while ago - they sound so good together  :drool:

Thanks again,

Vinnie

Afterimage

« Reply #33 on: 4 Jul 2009, 02:41 am »
"they sound so good together".  Okay, Stop with the tease. :D.  I have not given up on utilizing my speaker system just yet, things will change when my kids are back in school and they have to go to bed at a decent time.  Which means after 9pm, the basement is mine!  I am really looking forward to  impressions of the WLM Stella as that will be one of my targets in the coming year for a speaker purchase. 

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #34 on: 10 Jul 2009, 02:24 pm »
UPDATE:

We now have all the parts in stock to begin production of the Isabellina HPA units (starting next week)  :hyper:

Today I will email everyone on the pre-order list regarding placing your orders.  These will be shipping in the order in which payment is received, and I estimate that we will begin shipping on the last week of this month.

NOTE: The pre-order period will be officially over on Monday.

The Isabellina HPA webpage should be up sometime next week (along with updates throughout the RWA website!).  8)

Here is a pic of the front panel:

Thanks again for all your interest and support!

Vinnie

kitten

« Reply #35 on: 11 Jul 2009, 05:09 pm »
Really, really, nice Vinnie. I've no immediate need nor budget for one right now, but I still want one badly.:bawl:

If it's not a stupid question, as a passive preamp how does Isabellina HPA into (say) a sig 30.2 power amp compare sonically with Isabellina into sig 30.2 integrated?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #36 on: 13 Jul 2009, 01:55 pm »
Really, really, nice Vinnie. I've no immediate need nor budget for one right now, but I still want one badly.:bawl:

If it's not a stupid question, as a passive preamp how does Isabellina HPA into (say) a sig 30.2 power amp compare sonically with Isabellina into sig 30.2 integrated?

Hi Kitten,

This is a good question! 

Going with an Isabellina HPA (with volume controlled RCA outputs) and a Signature 30.2 power amp should sound extremely close to the Isabellina feeding a 30.2 integrated (assuming you are using the same interconnects).

Typically, the gain of the Sig 30.2 power amp is set to 24dB (as most use the 30.2 power amp with an active preamp), but depending on the efficiency of your speakers, you might want the 30.2 power set set to 30dB if using an Isabellina HPA, as the passive preamp (passive volume control) does not provide gain).  The Sig 30.2 integrated is set to 30dB, and it has the passive volume control as well.

Thanks for your post,

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #37 on: 16 Jul 2009, 01:48 pm »
The Isabellina HPA webpage should be up sometime next week (along with updates throughout the RWA website!).  8)

And here it is:

http://www.redwineaudio.com/products/isabellina_hpa

:thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #38 on: 16 Jul 2009, 02:59 pm »
 :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Vinnie
that HPA looks like a WINNER.
I think...........I'll need 2 for myself.

I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Love the attenuator option - that is way cool. :drool:

Mariusz

« Reply #39 on: 18 Jul 2009, 12:57 am »
Those waiting for HPA will be happy to hear that Vinnie is making huge progress building them.
I've tried to snetched 2 units for myself  without any luck. :cry:

We listen to some music on Vinnie's cans and it sounded great. Looks like I'll need some quality cans myself to get the most out of HPA.

New smart charging board and batteries are also great. Love the clicking sound when the unit is turned ON. Choice of caps seems to complement its design, giving it extra air and resolution without loosing musicality or lushness.

Looks like I'll have to wait a bit to get my but that's OK..........it will be well worth it.