HT3 Owners

kshoe

HT3 Owners
« on: 9 May 2018, 12:59 am »
Would all of the Salk HT3 owners help me out with purchasing a used pair? I currently want to purchase the pair listed for sale here. I have some reservations on my room size which is 13' x 16'. I could put them 3' away from the back wall and end up sitting about 8' away from them and still have about 2-3' behind me to the wall. Simply put: Are the HT3's too big for my room?
thanks

Big Red Machine

Re: HT3 Owners
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2018, 02:25 am »
Yes. I suggest Song 3A's for that room.

TJHUB

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2018, 11:41 am »
Would all of the Salk HT3 owners help me out with purchasing a used pair? I currently want to purchase the pair listed for sale here. I have some reservations on my room size which is 13' x 16'. I could put them 3' away from the back wall and end up sitting about 8' away from them and still have about 2-3' behind me to the wall. Simply put: Are the HT3's too big for my room?
thanks

I think they would be fine in that room, but you will have to treat the room.  My room is 13’ x 19’, and mine are 45” (measured baffles to wall) from the rear wall.  They are also close to the side walls.  I’ve spent an enormous amount of time finding these speaker positions, and every room is different.  Proper speaker placement, listening position, and acoustic treatments are key (for all speakers).

You will want at least 200 Watts to drive them modestly, and 300 Watts to play very loudly.  This is something I wish I knew before I bought mine.  I could easily clip my 200 watt monoblocks with music, but I don’t listen loudly often. 

kshoe

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2018, 05:27 pm »
thanks for the help. I was a little worried about the size. I currently use a rogue stereo 90 super magnum amp and an Aesthetix Calypso pre and mostly stream from my Salk streamer III. What amp have you found that works for you?

JDoyle

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2018, 11:18 pm »
Yes. I suggest Song 3A's for that room.

Or if you can afford to step up to the Encores, the added bass is very nice  :thumb:

JD

TJHUB

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2018, 12:25 am »
thanks for the help. I was a little worried about the size. I currently use a rogue stereo 90 super magnum amp and an Aesthetix Calypso pre and mostly stream from my Salk streamer III. What amp have you found that works for you?

The Mivera SE.  I can only use about 325 wrms/ch, but it’s enough to drive the speakers as loud as I’d ever be willing to push them.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2018, 02:11 am »

They'll take everything you give them and more. 250, 500, on up per channel is best. They will suck the life out of that magnum. The Song3's will not.

putz

« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2018, 04:47 am »
My room is not that large and my HT3s work just fine. My room is treated, but most any room should be. Give them some room from the back and side walls.

Yes they love watts. I had a Classe CA-200 and then switched to a Merrill Audio Veritas amp.

Those speakers are beauts and I would jump all over them. Plus you don't have to wait 3-6 months for new Salks.

And do not play them with the grills on. They're just too pretty without them.

kshoe

« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2018, 09:35 am »
Thanks for the help. Funny, I was thinking the Classe 200 would be a good amp to try. If my Rogue didn't cut it. I do appreciate your input. I don't even know who makes 200 and 300 wpc amps. Thanks very much.
Kenton.

vkohl

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2018, 09:09 am »
ME = HT3 + BRYSTON 4B3
 ...in a smaller room than yours
... NO speaker is TOO BIG for any room !
...and you can NEVER have too much power !

CRANK IT !!!  :thumb:

Paul K.

« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2018, 01:39 pm »
Have you considered Wyred4Sound?  The ST500 Mk II is good for 250wpc/8ohms and twice that into 4 ohms.  The ST1000 MkII doubles both of those outputs.  Don't know your budget but the ST500 lists for $1500 and the ST1000 for $2000.  They occasionally have sales at 15% off.
Paul

Thanks for the help. Funny, I was thinking the Classe 200 would be a good amp to try. If my Rogue didn't cut it. I do appreciate your input. I don't even know who makes 200 and 300 wpc amps. Thanks very much.
Kenton.

kshoe

« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2018, 01:56 pm »
As it stands now, I will give may present Rogue a try. I don't need to play loud. Thanks to everybody past and future for their input. There are certain amps I wouldn't mind trying. I might even try a higher power tube amp. Thanks.

martyo

« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2018, 01:56 pm »
I power my HT3's with an AVA Ultra Double 550+. 307 watts rms.

FYI, I purchased Jim's HT3's after 2007 RMAF. I believe the next pair he built for himself are the pair you are looking at purchasing. (Or at least the same veneer)

I think your room size is fine. The HT3's will use every watt you can throw at them. Good luck

kshoe

« Reply #13 on: 13 May 2018, 02:02 pm »
The pair I am picking up tomorrow was demo'd at a show and purchased at the show by Alex Gonzales(?) of Odyssey Audio. The seller bought them from him. Mr. Salk confirmed that but didn't remember what finish.