Quad 2905

georgev3

Re: Quad 2905
« Reply #40 on: 3 Aug 2007, 07:02 pm »
If you are ever in the Oakville area you are welcome to come by and have a listen, I have the 57s (originally Angies speakers from American Sound), basic 63s, 63 U.S. Monitors and 2905s all available for comparison. Bring any amplifiers or material that you would like to hear.

I'm off to Argentina on the 16th of this month for 3 weeks of skiing (snow skiing). Yes, I'm obsessive or rather passionate about things other than audio. It's rather curious that after a ski holiday it sometimes takes me several weeks to turn on the stereo system. It's when my life is more mundane that I use the hobby as a diversion. These 2905s have occupied a fair bit of time so it will be good to get away with the family and get a renewed perspective apon my return.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #41 on: 6 Aug 2007, 11:27 am »
If you are ever in the Oakville area you are welcome to come by and have a listen, I have the 57s (originally Angies speakers from American Sound), basic 63s, 63 U.S. Monitors and 2905s all available for comparison. Bring any amplifiers or material that you would like to hear.

I'm off to Argentina on the 16th of this month for 3 weeks of skiing (snow skiing). Yes, I'm obsessive or rather passionate about things other than audio. It's rather curious that after a ski holiday it sometimes takes me several weeks to turn on the stereo system. It's when my life is more mundane that I use the hobby as a diversion. These 2905s have occupied a fair bit of time so it will be good to get away with the family and get a renewed perspective apon my return.

Hi George,

I may take you up on that offer.

Are you saying you feel there are some Plus/Minus's with the old vs new Quads?

Also anyone out there have an opinion on the 988/989 vs the new 2905/2805?

james

« Last Edit: 12 May 2008, 10:19 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #42 on: 12 May 2008, 06:31 pm »

Hi George,

Now that you have had the 2905 Quads for over a year - any update?  I am especially interested in your comments vs the 63's.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #43 on: 17 May 2008, 11:29 am »
Hi,

I was hoping to get some input on old vs new Quads?

I have been asked by a major magazine to expand on my original Quad review so if anyone is interested I will post the follow up.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 21 May 2008, 11:18 am »
Quad follow up review:

QUAD 2905 SPEAKER REVIEW

The following is a listening synopsis of my experiences with the new Quad 2905 Electrostatic loudspeakers over the past year.

Remember the listening room acoustics and the set-up is as critical as the speaker chosen. The Quad’s are electrostatic dipoles so room placement relative to boundaries is important. Because of the dipole radiation pattern sidewalls/floor and ceiling are not an issue but being able to maneuver the speakers some reasonable distance from the back wall is important to get the right mix of reflected to direct sound.  In my two setups the speakers were 8 feet apart – edge to edge – and I sat 8 feet away with the speakers angled at about 20 degrees and the speakers where 4 feet from the back wall in room number one. They were 7 feet apart 3 feet from the back wall and I was sitting 7 feet away in room number two.

First off, if brand new do not just plug them in and listen – I was so excited about getting them set-up and working I started listening immediately and they sounded awful.  Then I realized, after reading the instructions, that a minimum charge time is involved – lesson learned – I should know better. In fact, I have since learned that they recommend 200 hours of normal playtime before they are totally ready for prime time

Anyway, the Quad in a word is an INTIMATE speaker. By intimate I mean it works best when you sit close and play at reasonable volume levels. You know those 3 o’clock in the morning occasions when the rest of the world is asleep and you’re alone in your sound room with a glass of wine and a great acoustic recording. The near/mid-field listening position is possible because of the so called “Point Source Array” of the panel – most large panel dipoles need you to be 8-10 feet away for the individual drivers to integrate. The Quad being one large point source driver allows for this excellent close proximity listening.

The theoretically ideal speaker, according to Quad, has always been considered to be a SINGLE point in space radiating sound equally in all directions from that point with perfect amplitude, time and phase. Think of it like a stone dropped in a pool of water and the sound radiation wave simulates the ripples radiating coherently outward from a central point. Why is this important you ask?  Each musical sound is comprised of several different tones, or harmonics, each having its own amplitude, time and phase relationships with the others. To completely preserve the unique character of each sound, it is necessary to preserve all of this information. In other words, the loudspeaker's amplitude, time and phase response must all be accurate. Many speakers can do a good job of preserving the amplitude relationships of music, but they usually fall short at preserving time and phase relationships.

Timing errors can also cause the loss of directional or imaging information. With most speakers, the only dependable clues you are given about the location of the sound are contained in the loudness of each speaker. If the left speaker is playing a given instrument louder than the right, then the sound of that instrument seems to be located closer to the left speaker. This is why the "sound stage" that some speakers produce exists only between the speakers. In contrast to this loudness type of imaging information, your ear/brain interprets real life sounds by using timing information to locate the position of a sound. In real life, your ear perceives a sound as coming from the left because your left ear hears it first. That it may also sound louder to your left ear is secondary. Your ear is set up for, and is much better at, determining location from time information rather than loudness information.

The advantage the Quad has with a large SINGLE driver acting as a spherical point source is the ability to maintain the amplitude, time and phase with accuracy not generally available in muti-driver speaker designs. “In the Quad 2905 there is a circular array of electrodes with accompanying delay circuits on the middle two panels to approximate this spherical radiation point source pattern. “The centre two panels in each Quad ESL Loudspeaker incorporate concentric rings (8 of them) on the outer grid-plates around the diaphragm. Each ring is subjected to a minuscule time delay and attenuated by its own individual circuit, the sound spreading gradually from the centre outwards through each successive ring. This carefully structured delay line creates a near perfect spherical wave front originating from an apparent point 400mm behind the loudspeaker. Imaging is pinpoint and there is no ‘sweet spot’ – all listeners receive a full sonic presentation.” The 2905’s have 4 bass panels (total of 6 panels) whereas the smaller Quad 2805 has just 2 bass panels (Total of 4 panels).

I made frequency and time measurements with my ETF system – which is the one I use when setting up studio systems.  Directly on axis at 1/2 meter the Quad measures very flat – in fact what is nice is that the bass response is very linear up close – a lot of speakers need room to develop bass energy. Panels tend to have an equal frequency response launch in the near field as well as the far field. As you move away from the center position in the Quad in any direction the hi-frequency response falls off quickly so the angle of the speakers relative to the listener is very important depending on the tonal balance you want to achieve in your specific room.

Over the years I have owned Quad 57’s and the Quad 63’s but not the more recent Quad 989 or 988 so the comments I will make on the 2905’s will be as compared to the earlier versions of the Quad electrostatics. I listened to the speakers in two different rooms.  One room is 23x16x8 and the other is 12x16x8 feet (speakers on the long wall). I preferred them in the smaller room. My memory of the older Quads are ones of an extremely coherent speaker with lightning fast transients very low distortion and superb midrange at the expense of deep bass and wide dynamics. Over the years many subwoofers/woofers have been used with the older Quads to try and extended the limited bass response and improve on the dynamic capabilities without much success. The problem has always been one of integration --- the Quad is a velocity device whereas dynamic type subs are pressure devices.  

With the 2905’s the soundstage appears to start about 1 foot behind the panel and move backwards and outwards. I found as you increased the power amplifier power to the panel the sound changed a bit in terms of the tonal balance. Smaller amplifiers sounded more ‘mid-rangy’ bigger amps sounded more ‘bass-weighted’. There is a point with the bigger amplifiers where the speaker starts to sound dynamically restricted or compressed regardless of how hard you push it. I was never able to shut the speaker down (Quad has a built in protection circuit) but the speaker definitely has a limit to the dynamic range it can deal with. Maximum power handling is 100 watts per channel at 8 ohms before the protection circuit activates. I think room size and the type of music you listen to will be the determining factor on the power of the amplifier you ultimately choose.

I found the Bryston 2B SST (100 watts per channel at 8 ohms) was an excellent match in my small room but I also tried the PP-60 (60 watts), the 3B SST (150 watts) and the 14B SST (600 watts) as well as a tube amp (80 watts) and 2 Class D amps (100 and 200 watts).  The other aspect I found surprising was that the Quad’s appear very easy to drive. I did not expect that given that Electrostatics are huge capacitors and generally not an easy load for an amplifier. Anyway, even the PP-60 was singing along with no sense of strain.

I can listen to these Quads for hours and never feel that I want to ‘turn it down’. The lack of distortion is really exceptional. There is no sense of strain in the sound and voices are in the room with you.  Every once in a while I would get that “was it real or Memorex” feeling. It is what I refer to as ‘startle effect’ – when your not sure if that sound you just heard was on the recording or some extraneous noise in the room. Complicated productions like mass chorus always sounds defined and you can easily delineate each voice or instrument in the recording. The really surprising characteristic is the bass response. In both rooms measurement indicate that there is usable bass down to about 35 cycles but it sure sounds like it goes deeper. Maybe it’s a function of the 6dB roll-off of the dipole panel and the 6dB room gain interacting in a positive way?  Big big improvement over the older versions of the Quads.

The 2905 have definitely improved on the older versions (especially bass) in all areas but there are two issues I feel need to be explored. The transient response of the 2905 speaker seems slightly slower than I remember in the Quad 63’s. I think part of the issue may be that the extra bass panels give the speaker a much more extended frequency response in the lower bass area so acoustically the tonal balance makes the speaker sound a touch slower in comparison to the older Quads. Maybe more weighted is a more accurate description. Also this balance seems to be changing the more I use the speaker so some of this may be a break-in issue? My guess is the smaller Quad 2805 (2 bass panels instead of 4) may in fact sound more like the older Quad 63’s than the bigger 2905 version. I never tried the Quad 989’s or the 988’s so I do not have the benefit of comparison on that front. Dynamics are better than in the original but again they will not compete with big planar magnetic or the more traditional dynamic type speakers  -- horns – don’t even go there.

Continued on next post:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #45 on: 21 May 2008, 11:19 am »
Continued Quad review - see above:

The other issue worth discussion is the polar response of the speaker. With most other speakers I have measured the on and off axis frequency response is reasonably uniform and spread over a very wide area. The polar response readouts shown in the Quad 2905 literature are superb but I found using my ETF measurement system that the Quad has a rolled off high-frequency response as you move away from center both horizontally and vertically. The overall ‘Power Response’ into the room therefore is not like the more conventional dynamic speakers out there. The ability to ‘fill the room’ with acoustic energy is not as great as with other larger dipoles, or conventional cone speakers. Think of it like a flood light vs. a spot light. Most dynamic designed speakers ‘spray’ the sound into the room in a similar way that a flood light distributes light into a room. The Quad acts more like a figure ‘8’ spot light. The result of this off axis rolled off high frequency response is a sense that the Quad is not quite as spacious sounding (open) as other more conventional large panels or wide dispersion dynamic driver systems. The Quad does not have that sparkle or tinkle that many traditional tweeters seem to exhibit. It may in fact be that due to the point source spherical wave-front the Quad is actually more correct and the other more traditional ribbon and dome type tweeters are an exaggeration -- something to ponder.

Anyway, the toe-in relative to the listening position becomes much more critical because of this rolled off high frequency response as you move way from the centerline. The difference in tonal balance at the listening location is not subtle. My comment about the Quad being INTIMATE applies here as well as I found my ability to ‘tune’ the response was better achieved in my smaller listening room. The ability to ‘pressurize the room’ with a full range sound, quick transients and big sound stage worked much better in the smaller room in my case.

One of the aspects of the speaker I found intriguing is that a lot of my recordings sound quite good on the Quads. The general consensus is that a reference style loudspeaker is ruthless at revealing issues with the recordings good or bad. I find that I can listen to recordings that would normally sound strained or pushed on other speakers but on the Quads they do not seem to force the music at me in the way that other speakers I have do. Not sure why that is. Maybe it’s the very low distortion on the Quads? Or maybe the fact that because the polar response is as controlled as it is the Quad does not excite the room resonances and limits the off-axis early reflections in a way that a more conventional loudspeaker does not?

The major criteria for me when evaluating a quality audio system is the ability of said system to provide “low-level resolution” and excellent “transient response”. For me it is crucial in creating a ‘you are there’ emotional experience. The Quad does an excellent job of both. The sense that all the information is coming at you in proper time and phase is extraordinary. Voices are superb as are string instruments.  I LOVE the baritone sax on these speakers. It is an excellent magnifying glass. The ability to resolve the differences between equipment placed upstream is also excellent. I used many different amplifiers and CD Players/Turntables and all the resultant changes were immediately apparent.

So in conclusion, I consider the Quad 2905 an INTIMATE loudspeaker. It will not pressurize the room in the way a larger dynamic speaker will.  It is not a ‘play-it-loud’ speaker.  I have to say be cautious though because the Quad can spoil you for other speakers. Its neutrality is addictive. They really expose the ‘sonic character’ of all the other speakers I own.

If listened to in a moderate size room at reasonable levels, in a near/mid-field setup arrangement they are going to be a tough act to beat. Transparency, neutrality, resolution, coherency, flat frequency response, point source radiation pattern, excellent transients, great midrange and lack of distortion convey a sound I can easily retreat to with passion.

James

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #46 on: 21 May 2008, 11:39 am »

what a review!

enthusiasm is running through your veins, james.

good to have you here...

alex.

richidoo

« Reply #47 on: 21 May 2008, 01:03 pm »
Nice review James!  I have the 2905s and I echo everything you said.

predrag

« Reply #48 on: 22 May 2008, 11:40 am »
Welll, well, well,...
Having read this from a trustfull source like yourself James what else can one say except:
I must hear them in my listening room!
Although I am a hardcore PMC fan (my new EB 1i pair will be delivered in a week or two) sure would like to broaden my views with Quads!
I will try to borrow then at the dealership nearby. :drool:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #49 on: 22 May 2008, 11:54 am »
Welll, well, well,...
Having read this from a trustfull source like yourself James what else can one say except:
I must hear them in my listening room!
Although I am a hardcore PMC fan (my new EB 1i pair will be delivered in a week or two) sure would like to broaden my views with Quads!
I will try to borrow then at the dealership nearby. :drool:

Hi predrag,

Should be an interesting comparison -please let me know.

james

georgev3

« Reply #50 on: 29 May 2008, 10:38 pm »
Hello,

Sorry for taking so long to respond, this thread has been dormant for so long I haven’t been checking it on a regular basis.

Congratulations on an excellent review of the Quad 2905. Very insightful and objective, something I wish was more prevalent in audio journalism today.

You would have enjoyed my three way shoot out, I have the 57s, 63s and 2905s all in the same room and interchangeable at a moment’s notice.

IMPORTANT, first and foremost I have to state that the 2905s need a dynamic warm up before being listened to. It doesn’t seem enough to just turn on the equipment for a couple of hours, in my system they sound best after at least one hour of playing music. The bass tightens up, the transparency improves and the speaker’s sound is transformed by this dynamic versus static warm up. It seems much more critical with the 2905s than the older 63s and 57s.

The older Quads do seem a bit quicker in regards to transient response and seem a bit more transparent.  For a lack of better way of describing it the 2905s are almost like a traditional electrostatic speakers with some good dynamic speaker qualities thrown in. When listening to a 57 or 63 there is no mistaking the light, transparent quick qualities that electrostatics possess. The 2905 has more weight, body and substance which does make it sound slightly less airy and light but much more substantive. The presentation is much larger and the soundstage is lifted higher off the floor (floor seating versus first row balcony).  I’m not sure which model is more natural and I’m sure each will have its advocates.

The 57 versus 63 argument has been going on for almost 20 years now with ardent fans on both sides. I’m afraid the 2905 will also generate similar polarization. My take is that there is no right answer, it’s a case of personal preference. All versions are excellent speakers, coherent, accurate, musical and are a pleasure to listen to. I enjoy having all three, I’m glad that I have an understanding wife and I don’t have to limit it to just one or heaven forbid none ...

Would love to hear your setup sometime to hear how the 2B sounds with the Quads. If you are ever in Oakville let me know, I have from 1955 to 2008 covered.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #51 on: 29 May 2008, 10:59 pm »
Hi George,

Yes I would love to come by some time and hear that setup.

As you know I have 3 sound rooms that I constantly manipulate equipment through.  A fellow audiophile was by last week and here are his assesments of the 3 sound rooms and the 3 different setups I currently have.

Hi James,

I have thought about the three systems that I heard,all were outstanding. You made a very good point about setting up for stereo first and letting home theatre fall into place after that. That being said I think I still preferred the Quads,they were smooth yet very detailed.

I had told you about what a friend said ,how come you have gone so deep on stereo and home theatre ? My reply was that I wanted the equipment to disappear so you are not thinking about the sound or picture and to just enjoy  a good cd or movie. The Quads were the closest to disappearing I don't know if it was because they were nearfield but they sounded great.

The Magnepan 1.6's I thought had a lot of the same quality's but with a little less warmth and detail they also didn't have the bass of the Quads.

The Theil 3.7's sounded a little dry compared to the other two and was surprised they needed a sub.

It's a tough call between the three pairs as all are superb,for moderate listening levels nearfield I like the Quads 1'st the 1.6's 2nd and the Theil 3.7's third. For above moderate listening levels I think the Theils would win hands down and seem to like being played a little louder.

All three sounded great, but for a combination system of stereo and home theater I would prefer the Theil 3.7's I think they do it all,they are very nice for music and they can take the volume levels of dvd sound effects and have great transient response.

These are just my first impressions and could change after prolonged listening. Thanks again for taking the time to give me a demonstration of some fabulous sound equipment.                             

Dave.                                           
« Last Edit: 29 May 2008, 11:32 pm by James Tanner »

georgev3

« Reply #52 on: 31 May 2008, 04:59 pm »
Hello Again,

I'm in lovely Yellowknife at the moment, this would be an audiophiles delight in the winter months, 20+ hours of darkness for extended listening sessions. Fortunately I'm on my way home again today, the mosquito season is just about to start.

An idea I had (if you are interested) was for me to come to your listening location with my 63s. They are quite easy to transport. This would give you the opportunity to hear them in a familiar environment and with your own equipment.

My curiosity is peaked by the obviously great results you are getting with the 2905s. I like to keep an open mind on placement, solid state versus tubes, etc. Hopefully I could learn from your vast experience and evaluate the Bryston gear you are running them with.

Please let me know if interested,

Thanks
George

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #53 on: 1 Jun 2008, 01:54 pm »
Hello Again,

I'm in lovely Yellowknife at the moment, this would be an audiophiles delight in the winter months, 20+ hours of darkness for extended listening sessions. Fortunately I'm on my way home again today, the mosquito season is just about to start.

An idea I had (if you are interested) was for me to come to your listening location with my 63s. They are quite easy to transport. This would give you the opportunity to hear them in a familiar environment and with your own equipment.

My curiosity is peaked by the obviously great results you are getting with the 2905s. I like to keep an open mind on placement, solid state versus tubes, etc. Hopefully I could learn from your vast experience and evaluate the Bryston gear you are running them with.

Please let me know if interested,

Thanks
George

Thanks George - I will PM you.

james

doodlebug

« Reply #54 on: 13 Jul 2008, 05:20 pm »
This has been an interesting thread that I just discovered.  I've got a couple of questions for georgeev3:

- On the ESL 63s being compared, do these have the original panels and power supply components?
   - If the original panels were replaced for some reason, how long ago was this done?

Motivation behind the question:

A couple of years ago, I picked up a set of ESL63s, the non-USA versions that had been in a flood and were being sold off after an insurance claim.  Yes, silt lines came 1/2 way up on of the speakers.  They were about 20 years old and, of course, sizzled even after I completely disassembled and cleaned each and every part separately, replacing all the foam gasketing materials on the rebuild.  I ended up swapping all 8 panels at once on them.

The interesting thing about this is that I discovered via QS&D here in the US that the replacement panels I received are the same ones now used in the 2805s.  So, taking this to a logical conclusion, then, my question brings up an interesting point that older Quads re: the panels used.  QS&D told me that most of the improvements in the ESLs from the 63s -> 988 -> 2805s are in the frame rigidness.  This I can absolutely confirm from a recent listening to the 2805s at a local dealer.

So, then, I asking about 2 aspects of the speakers, given that some ESL63s are well into their 2nd decade of life:

- Remedial work done replacing panels and potential effect on comparisons and how we need to perceive them.  In fact, I'd like to know more about how the ESL panels sound at 10-15 years of age rather than brand new.  It seems to me that we're making an assumption that the panels don't change characteristics over their lifetime and I wonder how that plays into comparison reports.

- Impact of frame rigidness when comparing a set of ESL63s to more recent models _if_ the ESL63s have new panels in them.   I know that the old Crosby mods did a lot to address rigidness in the Quads and wonder how the newest panels would respond to such work.

Lastly, confirming some of James' observations, I recently had the opportunity to live in a small apartment this winter while my house was being built.  This created that small living space opportunity that James discussed in his review.  I used both a McIntosh MC-225 and a Hafler P500 (heavily modded) with the Quads and discovered that both sounded as James reported for mid-field use.  I was quite happy with that setup.

Contrast that, then, to the large living room once I moved into my house a couple of months ago.  The Quads completely changed character on me there.  This is a 26' x 15' x 10' room and the Quads struggled to produce that same intimate presentation I had becomed accustomed to in the earlier apartment setting.  I have since adopted a completely different setup where the Quads now live in a smaller bedroom that I use as my office while the mighty UREI 813s (with Altec 604s in them) now dominate the living room setup.

The only thing that's missing right now would be a nice Bryston to drive them......

Thanks for reading, too.

Cheers,

David

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #55 on: 13 Jul 2008, 05:36 pm »
Hi David,

Your question about the possibility of the sound of the panels changing with time is interesting as I find my Quad 2905's seem to sound better as time marches on. I assume there comes a point when they have 'matured' as much as they will but after a year or so I would say they sound much more coherent and better balanced sonically than they did in the beginning months.

james

PS - George your up!
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2008, 07:48 pm by James Tanner »

doodlebug

« Reply #56 on: 15 Jul 2008, 02:37 pm »
Hi James,

Thanks for the fast reply.  I suppose my post primarily referred to Quads that are getting on in years and then used for comparison.  For example, I suspect that Quad ESL63 panels are likely good for about 20 years of service before they'll need to be attended to.  Things like humidity, hours per day they're used, and whether the dust covers are not allowed to operate with holes in them would determine the actual aging.

So, I wonder whether comparisons of new Quads and older versions need to have some sort of qualifiers placed on them about what may have been done to the older Quads from a repair/maintenance standpoint in order to establish a better basis for comparison.

As for the initial break-in time, yes, I found the ESL63s I rebuilt needed to have some time to settle in.  In fact, I went back in and tightened up the frame once all the foam tape I used to replace the original foam had settled in.  BTW, that stuff will fall apart over the years, too. 

Cheers,

David

georgev3

« Reply #57 on: 15 Jul 2008, 11:47 pm »
Hello Again,

I totally concur with James that the Quad 2905 change in character over time. Mine have improved tremendously with time, I'm still not convinced that they are fully broken in.

I had a professional musician over last night who has exceptional ears. He was able to describe the differences between the US Monitors and the 2905s within a few minutes. His assessment was very similar to mine, the major difference being he was able to do it in minutes while it has taken me weeks.

The US Monitors are more holographic but it is more of an audiophile artifact, not exactly what you might hear at a live performance. The treble was a bit more pronounced on the US Monitors, sort of an Audio Research signature if you have listened to their gear.

The 2905s have better bass and a much larger presentation. I'm finding as my friend did that they are more emotionally involving although initially not as spectacular as the 63s. I also find the 2905s encourage me to try a much wider variety of music. 

I have both the US Monitors and the basic 63s. I've used the basic 63s for many years and I've never had to replace a panel, they just keep on playing.

The US Monitors on the other hand have had individual panels replaced on couple of occasions over the years. I never noticed any change in sound character or a difference between the two channels even though on each occasion only one speaker received new panels.

I've never had any issues with holes in the dust covers or problems with the electronics. I think played within reasonable limits the panels can play for many years without issues and degradation. I know how and when my US Monitors were damaged and it was not the fault of the speaker.

I hope that helps,

Thanks
George

unit

• Beauty Of Sound
« Reply #58 on: 23 Sep 2008, 12:53 pm »
I'm reading this thread with extreme interest. I too have the 2905's and have not found the magic that I think they can possess.
I have the Quad II-40 valve amps and a custom mosfet amp. Neither one gives me the transparency in vocals especially that I think should be there.
They also sound a bit bright to me and others have heard the same.
I've tried them in two different rooms. The smaller one is about 12'X13' and the larger one is 12'X19'.  In the larger room I had them along the 12' side and then moved them to the long 19' side with the same results. I tried setting them about 9' apart and toed in, with me sitting ~5' from them. That sounded the best but still not great.
I have heard others, one of them a very well respected authority in the audio world say that the 57's are far superior to any successive Quad. I'm not sure as I've never heard the 57's. I did have 63's and enjoyed them a lot. I don't remember having the room/amps/placement be as much of a factor as now. They seemed to have the transparency that these lack. It has been a while since I heard them however.
Just wondering how your folks are getting on now with your 2905's.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #59 on: 23 Sep 2008, 02:27 pm »
I'm reading this thread with extreme interest. I too have the 2905's and have not found the magic that I think they can possess.
I have the Quad II-40 valve amps and a custom mosfet amp. Neither one gives me the transparency in vocals especially that I think should be there.
They also sound a bit bright to me and others have heard the same.
I've tried them in two different rooms. The smaller one is about 12'X13' and the larger one is 12'X19'.  In the larger room I had them along the 12' side and then moved them to the long 19' side with the same results. I tried setting them about 9' apart and toed in, with me sitting ~5' from them. That sounded the best but still not great.
I have heard others, one of them a very well respected authority in the audio world say that the 57's are far superior to any successive Quad. I'm not sure as I've never heard the 57's. I did have 63's and enjoyed them a lot. I don't remember having the room/amps/placement be as much of a factor as now. They seemed to have the transparency that these lack. It has been a while since I heard them however.
Just wondering how your folks are getting on now with your 2905's.

Hi Unit,

How old are the Quads.  I found mine changed a lot over time.  It took a year before I felt they were reaching their potential.

You asked me in a private email if the Bryston amp would give you the magic and even though we build amplifiers and I would love you to purchase one I think the room/speaker interface is in my opinion probably the culprit here. I have 3 sound rooms and the (17x12) room with the speakers on the long wall is the best match so far. In my big room (23x16) the Quad was really very disappointing. I have had a number of experienced listeners through (refer to posts on Audiocircle) and I can say the Quads in my setup never fail to impress.

I can say though that I think the 2905's, having the larger bass capability has a different tonal balanced than the 63's or the 57's and I think the comparison is difficult.  I have not heard the 2805's but input from those that have owned the older Quads and now have the 2805's would be interesting.  My guess is the older Quads and the 2805's would be closer in tonal characteristics than the 2905's are.

james
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2008, 03:45 pm by James Tanner »