Bryston BDP-1: Use of one USB connection as a USB out to a DAC USB input?

fado

I recently spoke to someone at Bryston by phone and I think that he said the USB connections on my BDP-1 actually can function as USB outs although they are normally used as USB inputs from external drives. I use external SSD's  and flash drives as my music source to my BDP-1.
1. Did I understand correctly - can one of the USB connections on the BDP-1 function as a USB out to the USB in on my DAC?
2. I assume that I should use one of the rear USB connections for a USB out - is this correct?
3. I need to be assured that there is not a chance that my DAC could be damaged using this type of connection.
4. My DAC will play up to 24/192 - will the USB connection on my BDP-1 output 24/192? 

zoom25

I recently spoke to someone at Bryston by phone and I think that he said the USB connections on my BDP-1 actually can function as USB outs although they are normally used as USB inputs from external drives. I use external SSD's  and flash drives as my music source to my BDP-1.
1. Did I understand correctly - can one of the USB connections on the BDP-1 function as a USB out to the USB in on my DAC?
2. I assume that I should use one of the rear USB connections for a USB out - is this correct?
3. I need to be assured that there is not a chance that my DAC could be damaged using this type of connection.
4. My DAC will play up to 24/192 - will the USB connection on my BDP-1 output 24/192?

1) Yes.
2) I think I've made both front and rear ports work. Initially you may need to enable the USB output under 'Audio Devices' in Manic Moose.
3) I don't see how it can get damaged? If you want to be sure, try the rear bottom USB port first as it has the most power if I recall correctly.
4) Not sure. I think I only tested 16 bit stuff.

fado

I just received a response to my question from Bryston's Chris Rice. He said I could post his response:

"Yes, with new enough firmware you can connect either a drive or USB DAC to any of the BDP’s USB ports.  Any of the USB ports should work, however for aesthetics you’ll likely want to use one of the rear USB ports.  This being a BDP-1 you’ll want to reserve the rear lower USB port for a USB hard drive if you intend to use the BDP with a bus powered USB hard drive.  I can’t say I can guarantee it, but it would be pretty poor DAC design if plugging the DAC into something that follows the USB spec to the letter where to break it.  I don’t believe plugging it in will cause the DAC to malfunction.  It should support whatever the USB DAC supports."

Thank You Chris and Bryston