Back from a longer than planned Hiatus

jcrane

Back from a longer than planned Hiatus
« on: 22 Apr 2020, 02:07 am »
Hello all,
I was fairly active with the group 10 plus years ago, my love for audio never disappeared, life just happens.
Married, new job, 2 kids, a couple moves, a divorce, way more work than I planned and another house move.
My uncle passed away (life long stl musician) and I inherited some new (to me) vinyl and some vintage Marantz gear and this had me going through my storage in the basement to take inventory.
More gear than room but the packrat in me won't let me part with any of it.
I still use my CAL tube DAC I got from Scott with my old SB3.
My EX got my TT I recieved from Blackmoore but I have collected about  3 vintage models and Project Debut Carbon that I use daily.
I am currently finishing a room in my basement for a dedicated 2 channel listening room.
Planning on using Monitor Audio Silver 300s with a mix of gear - if I ever finish I will be sure to post pictures.
Between work and kids I doubt will be posting much or be all that active but I will be stalking in the shadows.
Be safe my friends...

Jamie

Wind Chaser

Re: Back from a longer than planned Hiatus
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2020, 02:31 am »
Hi Jamie,

Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

How big will that dedicated room be?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2020, 11:46 am »
Hope you're following Floyd Toole's teachings with that room.  And insulating everything.  Bigger is better as long as the shape is decent.  When we built 16 years ago it was away from my job, kids, and extended family so got a man cave.  Carefully proportioned and insulated it within fairly "normal" construction practices and for the most part was very successful.  Now have (10) GIK 244 panels, (3) subwoofers, and (3) tall bookcases (to act as casual diffusers) in the 8ft x 13ft x 21ft room.  Having a dedicated room is very important if you share the abode. 

toocool4

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2020, 12:36 pm »
Welcome back to AudioCircle jcrane

Blackmore

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2020, 01:12 pm »
Good to hear from you, Jamie, and hope to see you again once we're over all of this.

Mark

Wally_C

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2020, 03:19 pm »
Welcome back jcrane!

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2020, 04:58 pm »
I use acoustic wallpaper in my sound room with Sanus acoustic foam ceiling.

Acoustic wallpaper available at any good paint/wallpaper store in various colors and patterns.

Very quit and dead room. Boxy room reflection all gone. Installs like regular wallpaper.

Call me at 651-330-9871 and I can actually demo the sonic effect of the acoustic wallpaper over the phone.

Scott F.

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2020, 01:37 pm »
Hiya Jamie  :wave:

Glad to see you're still around. Like Mark mentioned, once this passes, we need to get together.  :thumb: