Ohm Walsh 2 paired with dynaco st-70

Tortorgia

Ohm Walsh 2 paired with dynaco st-70
« on: 15 Aug 2019, 01:44 am »
I've been given a pair of ohm Walsh 2 speakers and have a dynaco st-70. I'm just curious how those two pair up.
I've been told that the Walsh 2 speakers work best with a high watt wattage amp. Just looking for some input.

Thanks in advance

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Ohm Walsh 2 paired with dynaco st-70
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2019, 05:58 am »
My 2 cents are: In the early 1990s I had a nice audio friend already passed away that had an EL34 Dynaco ST70 w/JBL L90 that is 4 ohms 90dB and his tubes lasted only six months, but he listened everyday around 4 hours.

Looking your Walsch on Google found it is 4 ohms 88dB,
not a easy load for an tube amp. Hope this help.

RonN5

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2019, 12:20 pm »
Congrats on the Ohms....here is the spec sheet...as you can see, 30-120 watts.  I'm thinking they will sound pretty good with the Dynaco...maybe not the best low end but pretty decent mids/highs.

https://ohmspeaker.com/site/assets/files/2436/ohm_walsh_loudspeaker.pdf

If you ever need to repair them...or upgrade them, Ohm is still in business and doing repairs for older models....here is a link

https://ohmspeaker.com/legacy-products/2/

There are a lot of posts about Ohms on Audiogon....here is a link to just one of the threads that you may find interesting

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/ownership-and-review-of-a-pair-of-ohm-super-sound-cylinder/post?highlight=ohm%2Bwalsh&postid=1785393#1785393

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2019, 01:39 pm »
Hi Tortogia,
  I have a Stereo/Hifi Equipment mag. in front of me 1977. In one of the review summaries it says: It requires a tremendous amount of power and any amps of less than 60 watts per channel are just not suitable. I have a St-70 and at rated distortion will put out about half that. This was for the Ohm F with the Walsh driver. I know it's not the manual but the Ohm did come out when Hifi receivers were having a watts race upward with Pioneer and Technics putting out 150 watt plus models....Mark K.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2019, 01:53 pm »
The Ohm F was extremely power hungry.  I suspect the next model, the Ohm 2 could get by with less, probably 80-100 watts.   
I'm jealous.  The Ohm F was my dream speaker that I couldn't afford back in the day.  I bet the Ohm 2 are just as good. 

mick wolfe

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2019, 10:58 pm »
An ST 70 will come up short unless your room is pretty small or you listen to a strict diet of girl/guitar tinkle music. In a decent size room that doesn't exceed the room max volume recommended for the 2,(3200 cu. ft.) I would say solid state amp rated at a min. of 200 WPC into 4 ohms. This if you listen to a wide variety of music at somewhat loud.... but not insane levels.

Phil_S

« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2019, 12:17 am »
The Walsh 2's are sweet speakers.  The above posters are absolutely correct, 35w per channel is simply not enough for these speakers.  OHM recommends 125 WPC and I imagine that's RMS into 8 ohms, not  "music power", "average power", or any other measurement.  The rating is important!

I own Ohm 100's M3 and am powering them with an original HK Citation 12.  It produces 60W RMS into 8 ohms.  This is adequate, I'd like to double it!

mitch stl

« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2019, 12:57 am »
A lot is going to depend on how loud you listen. Turning watts into volume is a logarithmic relationship (a 3 dB increase in volume requires double the power).

The ST-70 is 35 watts a channel and not known for having much bass or being particularly dynamic. OTOH, tube amps sound better than solid state when they run out of power and start clipping, so you'll get a bit better mileage out of the ST-70 than you would with a transistor amp of the same power.

If you listen at 70 or 80 dB in a small or medium sized room, you may well be perfectly happy with the sound. If you are a head-banger and want 100 dB or louder and have a large room, you can probably forget it. The probem is that many listeners don't have a sound meter (or app for their phone) and really have no idea what their personal "loud" means in terms of decibels.

It sounds like you already have the amp and speakers in your house, so I'd say the next thing to do is try them together and see what you think of the combo. Who cares what anyone else thinks of it?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2019, 01:00 am »
I've been given a pair of ohm Walsh 2 speakers and have a dynaco st-70. I'm just curious how those two pair up.
I've been told that the Walsh 2 speakers work best with a high watt wattage amp. Just looking for some input.

Thanks in advance

You have the amp and you have the speakers, why ask others to speculate? Just try it.  :wink: