Day 2 and 3 coverage

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Day 2 and 3 coverage
« Reply #40 on: 11 Oct 2009, 01:37 pm »
Great coverage Pez.  That's got to be a whirlwind trying to get around and see everything, listen, pics, interviews, etc.

It was a pleasure meeting you and Tyson.

Bryan

nature boy

« Reply #41 on: 11 Oct 2009, 01:58 pm »
Jason and Tyson - man, you guys ROCK.  Thank you for the great pix's and commentary.  I am just getting a chance to check out some of the RMAF coverage.  Appreciate your sharing with fellow AC'ers!

NB

Scott F.

« Reply #42 on: 11 Oct 2009, 03:37 pm »
Great coverage guys  :thumb:

I know first hand how exhausting it is trying to hit as many rooms as possible, take a decent pic or two, get a quick listen, write down what all the gear is, do a quick interview or walk through with the room presenter, THEN sit down, organize and write about it. Even though shows like this are tons of fun, covering them can be a grind...at best.

Every time I'd run across these guys, they looked pretty frazzled trying to make it to the next room. I got to spend some time with them at lunch and in several rooms getting reacquainted and catching up since the last time we met. Great guys (not to mention I carry Tyson's Single Malt Journey on my Crackberry as a reference) :green:

Very nice job!

justacoder

« Reply #43 on: 11 Oct 2009, 03:39 pm »
Certainly agree with others that this is one of the better show reports - and we linked to it from our blog as recommended reading.

There are many deep dark secrets to show reports - one of which is that readers come in waves. Many do not even start looking for reports until quite some time has gone by; stereotimes, dagogo and positive feedback, not to mention our full reports (spintricity) ... and yours?  - are not out/finished for quite some time and people [well, some people. Well, a few anyway. Let's just say more than zero people :-)] learn to deal with this.

-Mike

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #44 on: 12 Oct 2009, 05:15 am »
Thanks for the coverage guys, I'm exhausted just taking in all these pics and comments. I think the taped interviews was a great idea and I will check them out. I also think the number of views will swell over the next week!

Pez

« Reply #45 on: 13 Oct 2009, 05:49 pm »
OK I'm back! I am having a very interesting week thus far. I will now attempt to get the rest of the RMAF coverage up. Again, not much left, mostly highlights of day 3, I do want to add some things I forgot to put for day 2.

Without further adieu!!!!

Monarchy Audio/Lehenan Audio

I have to tell you, this room won "most unexpected sound" as in these tiny little two way monitors produced sound that was way bigger than their physical size would have you believe. It was very interesting to hear. I thought the setup, albeit understated, was one of my favorites at the show. The bass was deep and plentiful, a bit one noted at times, but that might have been the material. The soundstage was among the best I have heard. Dynamics were pretty serious as well. I have to say, if you live in a small apartment, or if you want a decent setup for a bedroom (they are rear ported so maybe not) this is a great setup!

Sanders Electrostats

I really enjoyed this room. I found it quite well setup and had the BEST sound I have ever heard from any electrostats. Most of the time Electrostats sound bright and overly lively to me but this room was very well setup in that the speakers were angled diagonally in the room as opposed to 99% of the rooms which had front to back set up. That said They imaged well, and reached way low in the bass. Great setup!

Roger Sanders said that a lot of the engineers at Martin Logan use his amps to run their equipment.  :icon_lol:

Any way those were a couple highlights I missed from day 2. Day 3 coverage is on it's way.

« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2009, 01:56 am by Pez »

Pez

« Reply #46 on: 13 Oct 2009, 06:17 pm »
Day 3
Day 3 was spent taking my buddy Kevin around as well as Wayne from Bolder cables (who until then had been cooped up in the Daedalus room) around to give a quick glimpse at the best and worst of the show. We did manage to hit some rooms I missed in the first 2 days.  If you can believe it, I did not go to every room, not by a long shot. And that's with 3 full days. That kind of gives you the width and breadth of this thing! 

Wilson/Audio research set up (For Audio Alternative in Fort Collins CO)

Had to check in on my old buddies from Audio Alternative, the first "hi-end" audio shop I ever actually purchased equipment from (also the last.  :rotflmao: ) As expected they had unbelievably expensive setups that, lets face it, are not going to win any best of show awards. I thought the system was overly bright and forward without any redeeming qualities. (Ouch! tough crowd!)

mbl

I can't remember why, but we didn't spend any time in this room. Beautiful setup though!

more to come.

Pez

« Reply #47 on: 14 Oct 2009, 09:55 pm »
GR Research/Dodd

Honestly I loved the look of the Dodd equipment, but I did not get to sit down and listen. Other AC members got a better opportunity to hear this room perhaps we'll hear from them.

Uhhh dude... Yer crossover's hangin' out, XYZ.

Gorgeous wood work and here's a concept for you, Affordable!!!

Jolida

Absolutely gorgeous equipment! Jolida had an excellent sounding setup. Not to mention high performance low cost gear that was among the nicest looking in the show.

The picture says it all. Tubes, blue LEDs $450 for a 12 watt gorgeous integrated, $110 for a Dac awesome stuff!

For the helluvit another low light shot. A little blurry because I didn't bring a tripod and I was using a 2 second exposure.

Everyone's favorite tube integrated.

Pez

« Reply #48 on: 14 Oct 2009, 10:11 pm »
Talking to Scott was another highlight of the show. Always had something new to share, great rooms to see, tips on improving something in my system. All around great guy. I definitely feel his pain having to lug around a heavy, bulky camera for 3 days.  It is quite a task.  Thanks for the kind words!

Great coverage guys  :thumb:

I know first hand how exhausting it is trying to hit as many rooms as possible, take a decent pic or two, get a quick listen, write down what all the gear is, do a quick interview or walk through with the room presenter, THEN sit down, organize and write about it. Even though shows like this are tons of fun, covering them can be a grind...at best.

Every time I'd run across these guys, they looked pretty frazzled trying to make it to the next room. I got to spend some time with them at lunch and in several rooms getting reacquainted and catching up since the last time we met. Great guys (not to mention I carry Tyson's Single Malt Journey on my Crackberry as a reference) :green:

Very nice job!

JakeJ

« Reply #49 on: 14 Oct 2009, 10:49 pm »
Once again, many thanks Pez.  You and Tyson did a stellar job and I, for one, really appreciate the effort.  :thumb:

Man, I gotta get to RMAF next year.

JakeJ

Pez

« Reply #50 on: 15 Oct 2009, 03:41 am »
You definitely should, there was such a huge Audiocircle presence there it was amazing. We definitely have the best taste in all things.  :dance:

ltr317

« Reply #51 on: 15 Oct 2009, 03:54 am »

Everyone's favorite tube integrated.

And all new Jolida tube integrated amps have the factory mods already installed!

JakeJ

« Reply #52 on: 15 Oct 2009, 02:22 pm »
Thanks, Pez.  I do plan to make a much more concerted effort.

Agreed that the social aspect is just as important, and maybe more so, as the technological aspect.

One thought cooking in the back of my brain is just to sell everything I have now and show up armed with cash, find the system I like best, and buy it.  Figuring that if it sounds good at a show it will sound great at home.

Once again I thank you and Tyson for the fantastic coverage.  You guys took what could have been a fun leisurely weekend and turned it into a job with the only compensation being a thank you from a bunch of loons who obsess over the minutia of audio.  Amazing!  :thumb:

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!

You guys rock!  :guitar: :drums: :banana piano: :beer:

Best Wishes,
JakeJ

capwkidd

« Reply #53 on: 18 Oct 2009, 03:22 am »
What is this?

Tyson's Single Malt Journey on my Crackberry as a reference

capwkidd

« Reply #54 on: 18 Oct 2009, 03:50 am »
Perhaps people should upload all their RMAF 2009 pics to Flickr? Tag them RMAF2009? I know I have a bunch of pics I took....

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #55 on: 18 Oct 2009, 04:22 am »
What is this?

Tyson's Single Malt Journey on my Crackberry as a reference

Check the link in my sig below.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #56 on: 19 Oct 2009, 12:34 am »
Perhaps people should upload all their RMAF 2009 pics to Flickr? Tag them RMAF2009? I know I have a bunch of pics I took....

Great idea, I have a bunch of pics as well. Do we just start uploading to flickr or does someone need to set up an account?

BTW, welcome to AC

Laura

Pez

« Reply #57 on: 19 Oct 2009, 01:26 am »
I setup a flickr account just for RMAF. I will see if I can allow everyone to upload to that, or you can setup your own flickr account for free and do it yourself. I had to upgrade to flickr pro just for rmaf.

capwkidd

« Reply #58 on: 20 Oct 2009, 04:57 pm »
I have a Flickr account, and would upload to it, just tag all the pics you upload with RMAF2009 :)

Wow, Flickr is down right now....

Ok, it's back up....

The reason why you would want to use "RMAF2009", is because "RMAF" apparently means others things, so you get a whole bunch of unrelated results....

And thanks Laura!

Great idea, I have a bunch of pics as well. Do we just start uploading to flickr or does someone need to set up an account?

BTW, welcome to AC

Laura
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2009, 03:24 am by capwkidd »

Pez

« Reply #59 on: 21 Oct 2009, 08:27 pm »
Last post!  :dance: and it only took me two weeks.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Any way

Virtue audio w/ Omega and GR Research

Cute little setup here with the Sticks

Unfortunately the Omegas were not set up to optimum. For whatever reason they decided to put them on the floor despite the fact that the stands were clearly available.  :scratch: I would have loved to hear them in a more ideal setup.

closer shot grill off

Pathos Acoustics/Focal

Sounded pretty good, loved the equipment they had in this room for pure overengineering factor.

Our very own Wayne W next to the Pathos Adrenalin amps.

Like I said OVERengineering.  :thumb: I wish I could have heard these bad boys.

Raal, Solaja Audio

Maybe not the best sounding room, but certainly the most intriguing setup. No those are not lamps, those are tweeter drivers.

I did a special post for the Lowther room. Please feel free to visit it.

Last but certainly not least was the....
Kimber Kables room

As far as "cost not object" rooms this was far and away the best. I thought the JBLs were simply amazing. HUGE dynamics, great everything top to bottom.

Ray with the JBLs. If you haven't met Ray Kimber let me be the first to say he is a class act all the way. The man loves music and supports it any and every way he knows how.

The weird thing is they had Sony speakers which didn't sound too bad, but couldn't hold a candle to the JBLs.

The JBL with the Sony and on the JBL is the highly advanced Kitty sound absorption module.

Well that's it. I hope you all enjoyed the coverage. Tyson and I had a lot of fun at RMAF. While we were all there to see great gear and learn more about our shared passion for music, equipment and the audiophile way, the thing I always remember about RMAF is the people. Every year I go I get to see all the guys and gals that make this such a fun place to post. I really enjoy the invaluable information they share, the food, the conversation, and most importantly the camaraderie. Thank you all very much for your feedback and thank you all very much for being a part of what made this experience so great!