Super 7 Flat Packs.....

Captainhemo

Re: Super 7 Flat Packs.....
« Reply #240 on: 12 May 2019, 03:12 am »
Thanks   guys.
The  7's  are up and   running  now,  getting them  dialed in and they are  soudning  great.  Soundstage is impressive... I thought  they  might  give  some up  to  the Otica's here but so far, we're  all good.     Just  doing  some  sub  and placement   tweakeing  .
Today  has been the   best  soudning  day..  hurs, tweaks,  position... I don't  know    but  they  are  sounding ood  and   I'm  continuing to   make  adjustments

Pics  soon

jay

titaniumheads

« Reply #241 on: 24 May 2019, 02:28 pm »
Jay, any updates as far as how they are sounding? Really interested to hear your take on them compared to the NX-oticas.

Captainhemo

« Reply #242 on: 24 May 2019, 05:50 pm »
Jay, any updates as far as how they are sounding? Really interested to hear your take on them compared to the NX-oticas.

I'm going to take some final pics soon and post  some impressions.   I'm getting quite a few hours on them now and am really enjoying them.  thought I was going to miss the imaging of the  Otica's  but so far  so good. The speed and  detail of the  Neo's is pretty incredible.

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #243 on: 24 May 2019, 05:58 pm »
I'm going to take some final pics soon and post  some impressions.   I'm getting quite a few hours on them now and am really enjoying them.  thought I was going to miss the imaging of the  Otica's  but so far  so good. The speed and  detail of the  Neo's is pretty incredible.

jay

Jay,

What do the Otica’s do better?

Mike

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #244 on: 24 May 2019, 06:01 pm »

jay

Yes!!!  Speed and detail is among the best I've heard.  The very cool thing is that the speakers never, ever sound cold or analytical.  You get that crazy detail, that huge soundstage and that flawless mid/tweeter integration with zero hardness, harshness or edge of any kind. 

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #245 on: 26 May 2019, 04:55 am »
The Super 7's are Super Smooth and can rock just fine.

kheidenr

« Reply #246 on: 12 Jun 2019, 04:24 pm »
Jay,

Any updates on your thoughts of the Super 7s and NX-Oticas?  What are you hearing and what are the strengths of those awesome speaker systems?

Thanks,

Ken

Captainhemo

« Reply #247 on: 13 Jun 2019, 05:38 am »
soon man,  meant to  get  back to this  tonight but  got  tied up  with the  hockey game.
Loved the  Lela  and  blues   story, so cool  and what  an incredible run by St Louis   :thumb: :thumb:

titaniumheads

« Reply #248 on: 8 Jul 2019, 03:23 pm »
Just wanted to give Jay Kudos for doing an outstanding job on the flat packs. The packaging was bombproof and the assembly fit together like a Swiss watch. Two people assembling and clamping would have been a little easier but I did it without help and I am by no means a woodworker.

Captainhemo

« Reply #249 on: 15 Jul 2019, 07:55 pm »
These are finally  all  finished up  now so  a few final pics, possibly some ideas for folks who are  building   these from  packs or who want   finished cabs.
Here you  can see  we  mounted both the tube connectors as well as  a female Speekon conector for the subs at the rear  edge of the  side panels.   On the inside  , I peeled back the foam  of the norez so the wiring  could  be  tucked away nice and neat. After wiring, some spray adhesive  sticks the  foam down  and it's all hidden away.

Crossovers are built on some  3/8" Medex and painted with   bed liner to match the  Duratex'd  rear sub cabinets.  We glued a sheet of 1/4"  Sorbathane to the botom of each board and trimmed  to  match the boards. We used  Clarity CMR caps for  the high pas filter bypassed with  Milflex Cu and  a Gortz Alpha Core  foil inductor.
Low pass   filter consists of a  Gortz Alpha Core  foil inductor  and a soniccap G1 bypased with the  Milflex Cu.  The notch  filter was left as is.
Wiring from  the tube connectors  to the  networks and then on to the drivers is all Neotech UPOCC solid 16 in Teflon.  The input wires to the networks  come up  through the top of the  rear sub cabinet and  enter through the bottom of the c/o board right at the   high pass cap and low pass inductor..  Boards are secured via  4  hex driver screws ( had some kicking around for the  SW12's)

Found some cool little wiring clips on Amazon to route  wiring up  right against the  wing. they  come with  some  3M PSA on the back of each one so easy to install.   I could only  use them  on the tweeter  and top 2 Neo10's, they were a  touch small  for fitting the  entire bundle in the  lower  Neo10's.  Need to find  some larger  ones  for those

All the Neo10 screw holes were  tapped (M3.5 non-bottoming tap) before mounting  each Neo10 & gasket  with some hex drive M3.5 x 12mmmachine screws

The amp boxes were wrapped in some Tamo Ash veneer to match   a custom  Uber bus  from Dave over  at  PI Audio.  the boxes are also fitted with femaile  Speekon Connectors.  A patch cable  was made for  each  speaker with a male Speekon Connector on each  end , you can see it above in the first  pic.  The boxes  were finished in danish oil topped with Satin Arm R Seal

We finally  got to the grills, well ,  Don did.   He  got the hang of it  pretty   quick, he's even got the  rear  side  nice  and neat. He cut the cloth  slightly oversized then  sprayed the entire  rear side of the grill frame with  spray adhesive.  Stick the cloth  all the way down  one side before  stretching it across the front  and  up  and over the other  edge.  Once the  2 sides  were  stuck,  he repeated for the  ends.    trim the excess  from the corners with a sharp  razor  and then work the  corners until  you  get them tight with no bunching.  Last but not least,  trim  all the way around the inside edge of the   grill frame with  the  razor.

The  6 N52 3/8 x 3/8 cylinder magnets  do a great  job of holding them in place... in fact,  you  need to be a little careful when removing them  as   you  don't  want to snap  a grill frame !

And  one without the grills

And yes, I know.. promised a  bit of a write up   in regards to the S7's  / Otica's....keep meaing to do  it ....

jay
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2019, 05:57 pm by Captainhemo »

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #250 on: 16 Jul 2019, 12:23 am »
Look fabulous Jay!

ebag4

« Reply #251 on: 16 Jul 2019, 01:35 am »
Those look amazing Jay.  They look like they sound like a million bucks! :thumb: it’s a shame to cover up that paint job but the grill really finishes them out nicely.  Beautiful speakers.

Best,
Ed

Tyson

« Reply #252 on: 16 Jul 2019, 01:41 am »
It might be cool to have the grill in 2 pieces, one for the top section and one for the bottom.  That way you could take off the top portion and see the aesthetically nice part of the speaker, will keeping the bottom section covering the less nice looking bottom norez section.

And those look awesome, BTW.

morganc

« Reply #253 on: 16 Jul 2019, 03:14 pm »
It might be cool to have the grill in 2 pieces, one for the top section and one for the bottom.  That way you could take off the top portion and see the aesthetically nice part of the speaker, will keeping the bottom section covering the less nice looking bottom norez section.

And those look awesome, BTW.

That's a great idea Tyson.   
And yes, phenomenal!!!!

Question:  what would a fully assembled pair similar to this one cost? 

Captainhemo

« Reply #254 on: 16 Jul 2019, 04:32 pm »
Tyson,    the split grills  were thought about but it's tough when  you're trying to put together  a  kit that will work for everyone, not an easy task.  Kind of the same thing regarding the  tube connectors  / speekon connector...  had we  pre-drilled  those holes in the side panel, there'd be unhappy  customers  who didn't  want them there. Nice thing  about  a kit is that  folks  can tailor things to suit  their personal preferences.  If someone  wants something    customized, we can   likely accomadate them , it just  takes time.   

Morgan,   cost for a fully asembled, ready to play  pair  would  likely end up   somewhere between $10 - $14 kdepending on   cross over  parts selection, paint  etc etc.  As mentioned  earlier in the thread,  the above pair is painted in House of Kolor Tangerine  Kandy... there's 5 layers of it  followed by a  few coats of the   HOK Show Clear.  This type of finish adds up  on it's own butyou get an amazing  finish.  Pics do not do it justice.  We have a painter  who  sprays lacuqr  as well, far less expensive  but    much more  basic color selection. He still does  a great  job, it's just  different.   Actually, the  satin black bases on  these  were    done  by  him as were the  Line Force speakers  in  another  thread.

Remember too,  these originally retailed   for   approx $20k,  upgraded networks, wire  etc  would have all been   an additional cost.

jay
jay

Tyson

« Reply #255 on: 16 Jul 2019, 06:15 pm »
Tyson,    the split grills  were thought about but it's tough when  you're trying to put together  a  kit that will work for everyone, not an easy task.  Kind of the same thing regarding the  tube connectors  / speekon connector...  had we  pre-drilled  those holes in the side panel, there'd be unhappy  customers  who didn't  want them there. Nice thing  about  a kit is that  folks  can tailor things to suit  their personal preferences.  If someone  wants something    customized, we can   likely accomadate them , it just  takes time.   

Morgan,   cost for a fully asembled, ready to play  pair  would  likely end up   somewhere between $10 - $14 kdepending on   cross over  parts selection, paint  etc etc.  As mentioned  earlier in the thread,  the above pair is painted in House of Kolor Tangerine  Kandy... there's 5 layers of it  followed by a  few coats of the   HOK Show Clear.  This type of finish adds up  on it's own butyou get an amazing  finish.  Pics do not do it justice.  We have a painter  who  sprays lacuqr  as well, far less expensive  but    much more  basic color selection. He still does  a great  job, it's just  different.   Actually, the  satin black bases on  these  were    done  by  him as were the  Line Force speakers  in  another  thread.

Remember too,  these originally retailed   for   approx $20k,  upgraded networks, wire  etc  would have all been   an additional cost.

jay
jay

Even at the original cost of $20k, they were underpriced, particularly when compared to the performance level and cost of other top line speakers.  Basically the Super 7s spanked pretty much everything at RMAF and based on performance alone should probably have been priced at $30k originally.  If they'd been made by a mainstream company it probably would be closer to $50k.  Yeah, they're that good.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #256 on: 22 Jul 2019, 09:50 pm »
I envy you guys who have the skill to do such fine work. If I was going to spend 20K or more on speakers I'm 100% confident I could buy these without hearing them and just be done with it once and for all.   :thumb:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #257 on: 22 Jul 2019, 09:58 pm »
Has anybody made just the top half of the Super 7's? I think I remember it being mentioned when these became available again of offering just the tweeter/midrange section for those who may already have servo subs so just wondering if anybody has actually done that.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #258 on: 23 Jul 2019, 12:10 am »
Has anybody made just the top half of the Super 7's? I think I remember it being mentioned when these became available again of offering just the tweeter/midrange section for those who may already have servo subs so just wondering if anybody has actually done that.

Yep.  Go back to page 9.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #259 on: 23 Jul 2019, 12:30 am »
Yep.  Go back to page 9.

Awesome, thank you! How much was the kit for those?