James Tanner from Bryston PMC on Board

nicolasb

« Reply #20 on: 24 Jul 2003, 10:56 am »
With what seems to be the best analog pass-through that I know of

I am probably going to get my head bitten off for this, but I can't agree with that statement. The SP1.7's bypass is very good, but it's not on a par with the Linn 5103, and I doubt it will be on a par with the new Kisto, either (which admittedly is in a totally different price bracket).

As against that, as far as bypasses go, the SP1.7 beats the Lexicon MC-12B hands down, which is comforting. :)

vettemanbc

Hello James hope your keeping well.
« Reply #21 on: 3 Aug 2003, 08:51 pm »
Larry Klenman here, you might find my name familiar.
 My question today is in regaurds to the differences between the 7B and 14B. Am I correct in thinking that the 14B is Bryston's top amp? At least in part due to its balanced output? Is balanced output anything like balanced input? Wherein  pos. is referenced to a matching neg. [therefore eaqual and oppisite] rather than the usual neg = ground?  Or is it something other? And if so what is the solution to the conflict over wanting balanced output, but also wanting separate speaker located  mono amps? Lastly if bal. output is advantagous compared with non-balanced output, why is it not on more Bryston amps?
 Thanks much, as usual. Loving my 8 Bryston amp plus  BP25 system and happy to report my decades old desire to upgrade has been totally overcome, since the first of this year. [to my happy surprise]

John Casler

« Reply #22 on: 3 Aug 2003, 09:15 pm »
Quote from: nicolasb
With what seems to be the best analog pass-through that I know of

I am probably going to get my head bitten off for this, but I can't agree with that statement. The SP1.7's bypass is very good, but it's not on a par with the Linn 5103, and I doubt it will be on a par with the new Kisto, either (which admittedly is in a totally different price bracket).

As against that, as far as bypasses go, the SP1.7 beats the Lexicon MC-12B hands down, which is comforting. :)

No head biting :nono: , but if you look at my statement it is 100% accurate since "I" have not heard the Linn you speak of nor the Kisto.

With your reply I would have to assume you have compared one or both,(in order to have an opinion of which is better).

Could you explain what you hear in the Linn that might make it subjectively better, and or what circuitry or measurment would objectively make it superior? (and of course why?)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Hello James hope your keeping well.
« Reply #23 on: 3 Aug 2003, 09:40 pm »
Quote from: vettemanbc
Larry Klenman here, you might find my name familiar.
 My question today is in regaurds to the differences between the 7B and 14B. Am I correct in thinking that the 14B is Bryston's top amp? At least in part due to its balanced output? Is balanced output anything like balanced input? Wherein  pos. is referenced to a matching neg. [therefore eaqual and oppisite] rather than the usual neg = ground?  Or is it something other? And if so what is the solution to the conflict over wanting balanced output, but als ...

Hi Larry,

Nice to hear from you. glad you are enjoying your system.
All Bryston amplifiers have the same circuitry. "Fully Balanced Differential" inputs and "Fully Compllimentary"output stages. There is no better/best with Bryston - just choose the ampunt of power required.
The 7B SST is MONO of course so the advantage it has over the 14B is that you can place the amp close to each speaker and utilize short speaker wire - which allows for much better control of the drivers.

james