New cable modem has two network ports

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
New cable modem has two network ports
« on: 25 Mar 2023, 05:32 am »
My new cable modem has two network ports on it. I want to connect two cables and have a faster, redundant link. Since my router needs to be replaced as well, any recommendations on one? Also, any recommendations on a switch to assist down the line closer to the computers?

rif

• Not a cowboy
Re: New cable modem has two network ports
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2023, 09:37 pm »
I don't know about your situation with 2 ports on a cable modem - I have fios which doesn't use a modem, it just gives a WAN port.  I don't think you can use your modem for 2 connections to the outside world.  and 2 ports woukd make for a lousy switch.  so id guess only 1 is usable.

As for router/switch/wifi APs, I use ubiquiti products. they can be a little intimidating if you're a novice.  specifically I use egdemax 4 for a router, some unifi switches, 2 UAP-LRs for indoor wifi access points, and another (can't remember the model) that is waterproof for the backyard.  I also use their security cameras and software. so I'm invested in their ecosystem.

GentleBender

« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2023, 10:58 pm »
My new cable modem has two network ports on it. I want to connect two cables and have a faster, redundant link. Since my router needs to be replaced as well, any recommendations on one? Also, any recommendations on a switch to assist down the line closer to the computers?
What is the manufacturer and model?

mix4fix

• Volunteer

avta

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2023, 02:29 pm »
If you are referring to the ethernet ports usually the top one is for the internet connection from your ISP the other to connect to a peripheral device such as a computer or am I confused as to what you are asking?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2023, 06:07 pm »
Those are two 1 Gig Ethernet ports, modem supports link aggregation.

Doublej

« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2023, 04:51 pm »
I would look at Netgear. They have a wide range of consumer and business grade offerings. I know a few folks that are very happy with their Orbi mesh network gear.