Playing SACD via Blu-Ray player

mcdmdmd

Playing SACD via Blu-Ray player
« on: 21 Nov 2021, 08:12 pm »
I have an opportunity to buy a UBP-X1000ES Blu-Ray player.  The Sony website says it will play SA-CDs.  Will it play the SA-CD portion of hybrid discs or will it read the regular CD portion by default with no way to get to the SA-CD portion?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Playing SACD via Blu-Ray player
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2021, 10:42 pm »
I have an opportunity to buy a UBP-X1000ES Blu-Ray player.  The Sony website says it will play SA-CDs.  Will it play the SA-CD portion of hybrid discs or will it read the regular CD portion by default with no way to get to the SA-CD portion?
On the Sony site they say this:
https://pro.sony/en_ME/products/other-home-cinema-projector-accessories/ubp-x1000es
Supported Media/Format/File
Ultra HD Blu-ray: Yes(DL/TL)
BD-ROM: Yes (SL/DL)
Bonus View: Yes (Profile 1.1)
BD-Live: Yes (Profile 2.0)
DVD-Video: Yes
SA-CD (SA-CD/CD) : Yes
DVD-Audio: Yes
CD (CD-DA): Yes
CD (DTS-CD): Yes
CD-R/-RW: Yes
DVD-R/-RW: Video / VR without CPRM
DVD+R/+RW: Yes
USB Memory: Yes
File System (FAT32, NTFS, exFAT): FAT32/exFAT/NTFS
External HDD (Read/Write/Copy/Move): Yes(Read only)

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2021, 10:53 pm »
It’s likely in the settings

mcdmdmd

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2021, 11:56 pm »
Thank you both.  I will go ahead and get it and report back.

Craig B

« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2021, 12:33 pm »
I can't imagine Sony would say it supports SACDs if all it did was read the redbook layer from hybrid discs. That would be no different from ordinary CD player behavior.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2021, 01:18 pm »
Here's a video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8T7kyOrksA   In the setting detailed around a bit over the 4 minutes mark, there is one labeled 'DSD Output Mode.'

Digi-G

« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2021, 02:13 pm »
My Oppo player has a setting for which playback option it defaults to (SACD or Redbook).  I'd imagine the Sony is the same way.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2021, 03:16 pm »
My Oppo player has a setting for which playback option it defaults to (SACD or Redbook).  I'd imagine the Sony is the same way.

Yes - I still have a bunch of Oppo players and an old Sony laying around.  At this point none of them see much use (unless someone brings a disc over) as I'm into file playback.

mcdmdmd

« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2021, 09:27 pm »
You guys are great!

Thank you,

Mike

mcdmdmd

« Reply #9 on: 26 Nov 2021, 04:34 am »
Well, it looks like the Sony will only work well if combined with a television.  So I am turning my attention to dedicated SACD player or transport.  Any recommendations?

lazydays

« Reply #10 on: 26 Nov 2021, 06:48 am »
Well, it looks like the Sony will only work well if combined with a television.  So I am turning my attention to dedicated SACD player or transport.  Any recommendations?

might look for an Onkyo Integra. They'll work and sound pretty damned good. I've had a couple Marantz players, and they're junk. I think Denon still builds one
gary

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 26 Nov 2021, 01:13 pm »

On some of those players, one may need to disconnect either disconnect the HDMI cable or go into the settings and temporarily change the HDMI settings.  With the current set-up you have, it is likely looking for a handshake (via HDMI).

mcdmdmd

« Reply #12 on: 26 Nov 2021, 02:06 pm »
I connected the Sony thru an HDMI into an adapter then thru a TOSLink into my Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 200M.  It worked well with CDs but to do anything else you must use a TV, which I do not want to do. 

I am considering the Yamaha CD-S1000.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #13 on: 26 Nov 2021, 06:14 pm »
For simple put-in-the-SACD-disk-and-hit-play music centered use I believe you are on the right track with the Yamaha. In Japan and elsewhere in Asia physical media including SACD remain very popular. Thus companies like Yamaha, Denon, and Marantz offer the best current in production solutions for dedicated stereo SACD playback. For those lucky &/or successful enough for whom budget is not an issue the list expands to include Playback Designs, EMM, Esoteric, dSC, and other niche European players. And last but certainly not least from the good old USA PS Audio's PerfectWave SACD Transport and compatible DACs represent some of the latest designs available from a stalwart supporter of DSD.

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 26 Nov 2021, 07:26 pm »
For those into disc playback, I agree the non-video players are the way to go.  On my main UHD HT system, I have a Panasonic 9000 UHD player.  It won't play SACD discs, but I don't do disc playback, but the Panasonic will do up to quad DSD file playback.  I don't use the system often for music (maybe once a year or a bit less) and I just leave the TV on and cover it and use an App that works with my Synology NAS.  I don't worry about that for the main system, although an integrated AV, I only use my Panasonic 820 for video and have a music server and DAC to play files.  If someone brings a disc over, I have a modded Oppo BDP-83 that's configured to output 24/88.2 from SACDs and is connected to the coax digital input of my DAC (it hasn't been used for a disc probably in a year and a half).

mcdmdmd

« Reply #15 on: 27 Nov 2021, 12:42 am »
I have decided to get this one:

https://www.arcam.co.uk/product,hda,players,cds50.htm

Two reasons:  It is a bit cheaper than the others I was looking at and it offers streaming, which I don't use but my kids would appreciate

Craig B

« Reply #16 on: 28 Nov 2021, 01:32 am »
I’ve got two Marantz players (SA8005 and SACD 30n) and have never had a problem with either. OTOH, I’ve had Sony and Denon players die prematurely.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #17 on: 28 Nov 2021, 01:48 am »
Sony are very strong on planed obsolecense, his original SCD-1 and SCD-777 need a scope to change the optical unit, a numerical code to be inserted by the remote control and the IC716 fail early and is a pita to substitute.

mcdmdmd

« Reply #18 on: 28 Nov 2021, 03:19 am »
I just got an idea.  What about this as a portable SACD player:

Sony BDP-SX910 9V Portable Blu-ray/DVD Player

Seems to me I could use this and since it comes with a screen, I could avoid hooking up a separate television

Same process, connect the HDMI to an adapter and then into my DAC with a TOSLink
(worked on the other Sony, I just could not access any of the other controls without adding a TV)

What do you think?

mcdmdmd

« Reply #19 on: 28 Nov 2021, 04:15 am »
Never mind, I just realized that will not work.

Back to getting the Arcam