NX-Otica's and their efficiency

david45

Re: NX-Otica's and their efficiency
« Reply #20 on: 16 Dec 2017, 03:24 pm »
David,

You don't have to use the inline filter to roll of everything up to the crossover point of the Oticas. Just filtering out the first octave (20-40Hz) will go a long way toward reducing the power required by the amp.

Mike

Excellent news!!  :hyper:

david45

« Reply #21 on: 16 Dec 2017, 03:36 pm »
Davd,   understood   and  nothing wrong with  having lots of amp choices available   :thumb:
One thing to remember, if you are going to bi-amp, you'll need a volume/gain control on the  amp driving the   bass section of the Otica's to  be able to be able to balance with the  low powered SET amp driving the MTM section.

Cool. I still have a Millenia MG3 from TBI somewhere I could play around with. I'm very limited in terms of how much room I have on my rack however...

As you probably saw in Mike's ICE thread, we've  been  comparing the As/2 with Don's  6C33C parallel SET mono's and  everyone who's heard    them all back to back, is surprised..  Pretty anxious to get that amp over here and  have a listen with the Otica's

Same here!!  :green:

roscoe65

« Reply #22 on: 16 Dec 2017, 05:56 pm »
Dave and I have been exchanging a few ideas offline and share some similar taste in equipment.  I think biampable NXOtica’s are a great foundation.  At 93dB they can be driven with low power tubes but not necessarily flea power tubes.

My recommendation is to use the tube integrated or pre/power amp of your choice (300B in this case) to power the MTM section, and use the speaker-level signal to drive the input of a Firstwatt F4 (or F4 clone or a Burning Amp Clone with output section only).  The F4 is a zero-gain design, so it will match the tube amp’s output perfectly and pick up its sonic character while being better suited to drive the our woofers.  There are a number of builders who would put together an F4 (parts are <$1k) and custom-build a SET amp as well.

The F4 manual includes connection diagrams for driving the amp with the output of a flea power tube amp:  http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/prod_f4_man.pdf