My X-CS Encore Build

Captainhemo

Re: My X-CS Encore Build
« Reply #40 on: 26 Oct 2014, 07:31 pm »
I appreciate your posting these. It's all new to me.  :thumb:

Michael,  all  the "watching epoxy dry" is well worth the effort , check out Larry's results from his XLS Encore build !!
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108371.100

(about halfway down the page)

jay

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #41 on: 26 Oct 2014, 10:48 pm »
Jay,

Nice! Thank you. Now I wish I hadn't gone cheapo on my newest speaker build. Next time!

Michael

lacro

« Reply #42 on: 5 Nov 2014, 07:14 pm »
Got some more epoxy applied, and sanded smooth. Yesterday I applied 6 coats of shellac. I tried brushing, but the Zinnser Sealcoat is already mixed with alcohol, and drys super quick, making it difficult to get a brush/rag finish without streaks.

So....I used my little touch-up spray gun to apply the shellac. It worked great. The little gun doesn't require much air volume which is good because my little compressor only delivers 4 CFM. I set the pressure at 20PSI, about what a rattle can delivers.

Today I sanded the shellac, and it's ready for the final finish (I hope).

lacro

« Reply #43 on: 8 Nov 2014, 08:34 pm »
Four coats of Rustoleum Gloss Black rattle can:

lacro

« Reply #44 on: 16 Nov 2014, 07:54 pm »
Disaster struck!!! :cuss:

After getting a nice gloss black finish, ready for wet sanding/polishing, I made a major mistake.... I decided to add a couple of coats of clear gloss enamel. Following directions, I applied the Rustoleum Clear Enamel over the Rustoleum Gloss Black Enamel.

Well - It didn't work! The clear was not compatible over the gloss black for some unknown reason :scratch: it started to lift the black paint that had dried over 48 hours, and had been lightly sanded before applying the clear.

I let the mess set for 24 hours, and proceeded to try sanding it off...didn't work, just gummed up the sanding disc :sad: I came close to going at the box with a sledge hammer :cry: But - instead I tried some paint remover, and it does work with multiple applications without affecting the epoxy at all, just the other coatings are softened. It's a long slow process, and pretty discouraging, considering I could have skipped the clear and just finished the gloss black as I did very successfully with my Encores :duh:

I am going to give this project a rest for awhile, till I feel like applying multiple coats of paint remover gel, over several days. :(

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #45 on: 16 Nov 2014, 08:33 pm »
Yikes!!!!

Never a good feeling when something like this happens.  Always reminds me of being in the military and something gets referred to as a "learning experience"  :shake:

As tempting as the sledgehammer seems at the time, in hindsight it never looks that good.

On the upside, it is salvageable and you don't have to start all over (says the guy who just finished cutting out a grill frame for the third time  :? A :beer: sounds like a good idea about now ...

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #46 on: 17 Nov 2014, 04:34 am »
Man,  sorry to hear about that Larry.  Like Mike said,  never a good feeloing  but   going at it with a sledge , while satisfying at the moment,  will feel even worse  after that brief bit of satisfaction is over and the realization of what you've done sets in
Not a paint guy by any means but seems wierd that  clear enamal would react with black enamal, especially   when its made by the same company, frustrating to say the least

At least you don't have to do all that epoxying again

Do what Mike says  :beer:

-jay

rockdrummer

« Reply #47 on: 17 Nov 2014, 01:13 pm »
Good for you for not going the sledgehammer route.  I feel your pain, and sympathize completely.  Threw an incorrectly cut baffle across the lawn when I realized the tweeter hole was too far over.  Thanks for posting your experience though. 

Looking good otherwise.....

Ben

lacro

« Reply #48 on: 17 Nov 2014, 08:58 pm »
 :sad:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #49 on: 17 Nov 2014, 11:11 pm »
80 grit paper on an RO sander?

Though that may take off more than you want

Mike

lacro

« Reply #50 on: 17 Nov 2014, 11:44 pm »
80 grit paper on an RO sander?

Though that may take off more than you want

Mike

Mike - Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried sanding with a ROS, it just gummed up the disc. The nasty looking photo is the paint remover doing it's thing. It works pretty good when doing 2-3 applications.  It's just a big mess for sure. I locked the sledge hammer in my yard shed :lol:

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #51 on: 17 Nov 2014, 11:47 pm »
Lacro,

Man, am I sorry to see that :cry: I just don't understand what happened unless it was too cold and or the previous layer didn't dry :dunno:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #52 on: 18 Nov 2014, 03:00 am »
Bummer that happened Lacro. I have smashed things to bits, although I was young, impatient and pissed off. I don't remember it as being particularly satisfying, so good on ya for not going that route.

FWIW, I had a similar thing happen with Rustoleum some years ago, only it was recoating with the same paint. As I recall instructions said to recoat within 1 hour or after 24. I waited close to 24...it wrinkled all up with second coat. Figuring I rushed it, I removed paint and started over this time waiting double what they recommended... same result!  Argghh! Started over again, this time just decided to do one coat. Success! But then, I'd already proven that part worked :scratch:

The lamp that I painted is sitting right next to me now...with one coat of paint. And you know what? It looks fine, but I haven't forgotten...

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #53 on: 18 Nov 2014, 04:24 am »
As you have posted pictures of your progress, I have marveled at your skill and quietly wished I could match your results. The first thing I saw just now was the final picture....I nearly cried when I saw it.  :cry:

It takes great humility to post this disaster. I believe you will overcome this setback and produce amazing speakers. In Taiwan folks shout encouragement by yelling "Jia you! Jia you!" Literally, it means "add fuel" or "add gas". Of course, I don't want you to burn the cabinet, but I do wish to encourage you. You, and many others on this site, have given me courage to try my hand at DIY speakers.  :thumb:

Thank you!

Michael

Alan

« Reply #54 on: 18 Nov 2014, 05:59 am »
"80 grit paper on an RO sander? "

Hey. I keep 36 grit around for those tough jobs.

Not to worry, lacro, you've done a great job so far... a minor setback. Have you tried scraping it? Maybe the paint remover (what kind?) loosened it enough to scrape it off. Sometimes a heat gun with a scraper, careful with that heat! Some of those chemical paint strippers do an amazing job. You'll figure it out. If you get discouraged take a break for a couple days. Good luck with it!

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #55 on: 18 Nov 2014, 02:01 pm »
I feel your pain, man.  In my 30 years of speaker building, I've made many maddening mistakes.  You are doing fine.

StevenZ

« Reply #56 on: 18 Nov 2014, 04:14 pm »
Sorry for the setback Lacro.  Your work looks great and I'm sure the end product will turn out really nice.  Being a cabinet builder I can totally relate.  I've mucked up my fair share of cabinets and just chalk it up as experience gained.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #57 on: 18 Nov 2014, 04:14 pm »
I feel your pain, man.  In my 30 years of speaker building, I've made many maddening mistakes.  You are doing fine.

Like removing the clamps and realizing you just glued the front baffle on inside out (the tweeter recess is on the inside and the woofer roundover is on the outside)  :oops:

If you haven't goofed something royally yet don't worry your time is coming. The only way to never make a misteak is to never do anything. OK, that's all the philosophy I have. Now back to goofing up  :thumb:

Mike

lacro

« Reply #58 on: 18 Nov 2014, 07:00 pm »
Wow!  Thanks everybody for the encouragement :thumb: I didn't think anybody was following my build. It's just a center channel, not very exciting for sure.

The paint remover worked great! I was able to remove ALL the paint, and sanding sealer down to the epoxy all in one afternoon session :thumb:  You would never know it had ever been painted. I went at sanding everything smooth today. I have a few scratches from my scraping off the old paint that won't sand out, so I filled them with auto body shop spot putty. They are just tiny scratches, and the spot putty should take care of them. 

Like removing the clamps and realizing you just glued the front baffle on inside out (the tweeter recess is on the inside and the woofer roundover is on the outside)  :oops:
Mike

Mike that makes my laugh :lol: I did something similar when building my Encores I glued the back on with the binding post cup recess on the inside  :duh: I was able to fix it by using the plug from a hole saw cut, to fill the hole, so I could have a center to swing my router....worked great.
http://i.imgur.com/iWxBzl.jpg

Danny Richie

« Reply #59 on: 18 Nov 2014, 07:41 pm »
Wow!  Thanks everybody for the encouragement :thumb: I didn't think anybody was following my build.

Yeah, you'd be surprised.