criterias for a good cd transport

hum4god

« on: 12 May 2004, 12:00 am »
hi
what are the criterias for a good cd transport or can i just use any cd player?right now i am having a yamaha cd recorder with harddrive.i am thinking to buy an ack dack dac.
thanks
god bless you

warnerwh

« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2004, 12:21 am »
Any cd player or dvd player will work and the quality of a transport can have some affect on the sound. The main thing affecting the sound though is the dac.  The Scott Nixon is reported to be excellent in its price range as is the Channel Island and Ackdack. All fairly inexpensive but well done dacs.  The player you are using will work fine if you're just looking to have better sound then a dac is a good next step.
Audiogon is a good place to find used gear for much less than the new price and overall it's been a very good experience for me. Good Luck

BeeBop

« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2004, 10:20 am »
I have an Ack! dAck have found that it is best to have a transport with low jitter. I have a cheapie Toshiba 5 disc changer and unless I pass the data stream through a Monrchy DIP to correct jitter, I end up with harsh highs, which I believe is due to high jitter. Also, if you are getting a dAck, then you will need a transport with coax digital out - the dAck does not have a TOSLink interface.