VALAB or MHDT Paradesea? Any others...

carusoracer

VALAB or MHDT Paradesea? Any others...
« on: 29 Nov 2009, 01:00 am »
Looking for cheap DAC, I'm not USB dependent just need a a Digital Cable and RCA for 2nd bedroom system.
I like a nice warm, yet detailed tube like sound with impact and soundstage.
Tone and texture are important.
I have narrowed it down to a couple but interested in other ideas. My two are MHDT Paradesea or the VALAB. Looking to spend tops $325 used or new.
This will go into the 2nd system w/Jolida 302b amp.
Thanks for looking.

Mortsnets

Re: VALAB or MHDT Paradesea? Any others...
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2009, 05:04 am »
You may want to add these to your list:
Channel Islands VDA-2
Cambridge DacMagic
Musical Fidelity V-DAC
Monarchy 18, 22, 33

analogmart

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2009, 01:23 pm »
็Hi carusoracer,
Sound quality of Valab dac is not cheap at all. You will get nice warm, good detail and impact,
wide sound stage, but flat style instead of tube like. I recommend $260 version (power supply upgrade). And if you are diyer, you can increase its performance by at least change its output capacitors to higher grade type. It's fun.           

Nick77

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2009, 02:01 pm »
Just wanted to validate the Paradisea but not sure if you could snag a used one in your budget or not. It is a very warm musical dac but lacks a little on detail. But it can be taken to another level by upgrading the tube and output caps. I am running a GE 5 star tube and upgraded the output caps with inexpensive Sonicaps and the warm musical sound skyrocketed and the detail that was missing is now better than ever. I have the plus model non-usb.

ashok

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2009, 03:28 pm »
I like a nice warm, yet detailed tube like sound with impact and soundstage.
Tone and texture are important.
I have narrowed it down to a couple but interested in other ideas. My two are MHDT Paradesea or the VALAB. Looking to spend tops $325 used or new.

I use and like the Keces DA 131.1. It is almost exactly at your budget. Well constructed unit.

carusoracer

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2009, 05:27 pm »
Thanks for the posts. I'm open to all ideas at this point.