Pre own equipment

chgolatin2

Pre own equipment
« on: 22 Nov 2009, 11:55 pm »
I was in the market for a mini system, such as the Jolida Fx10 and a good pair of bookshelves, doing some research I came across the Baby Sophia Electric on Agon for under $400 shipped, did some research and I came to the conclusion that this amp was a better choice for music enjoyment in my opinion.  I also purchase a pair of B&W 602's for under $300, all together I put an ok systme for under $1000 to be exact $670  :thumb: :drool: and I still have some spare change for a decent speaker cable and IC's of course "Used" Now's I'm in the market for a good DAC so I can use my Ipod. Wadia comes to mind!  Keep in mind this system is designed for a workout room, exercise room and Office.

Overall I think I did fairly ok!  what you guys think? :scratch:  Who said that pre own/used audio equipment was not a good choice for the cheap and cheerful HiFi doer?   aa

Dan Driscoll

Re: Pre own equipment
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2009, 08:02 pm »
A large portion of my system is 'recycled', and it's not an office system, either. The DAC, power amp, subwoofer, preamp, main and center speakers in my main system are all used, work very well and cost me less than half of the new price, very much less, in some cases.

:banana piano:

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2009, 08:05 pm »
Other than speaker drivers, everything that I haven't built myself, has been used. Preamps mostly, as I have ADD with them...ARC SP9-MKII, AI Modulus 3A, Rogue 66, Foreplay 2, etc...

No other way I could afford this hobby, at least when I was in college.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2009, 01:59 am »
I own a lot of used stuff.  IMOHO it's the best way to go for virtually everything except maybe CD or DVD players.  They can be a good deal but I find they don't last as long as speakers or amps, so I generally prefer to buy them new unless I get a really great deal.

Mariusz

« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2009, 05:02 am »
Now's I'm in the market for a good DAC so I can use my Ipod. Wadia comes to mind!

Check out the
Onkyo NSD-1 (transporter)

It is more or less the same as Wadia iTransporter at the fraction of the cost. I should get one in about a month and have it run on batteries from my RWA HPA.

As to used gear and value - definitely. I love good deals and do not mind used.

Best
Mariusz  :thumb:

edit - posted bad link. It should be OK now. sorry!