Desktop Sized Preamplifier (Passive or Active)

BluShady

Desktop Sized Preamplifier (Passive or Active)
« on: 12 Feb 2024, 04:30 pm »
Hello all!

I have been looking through many audio forums to find an adequate desktop sized preamplifier for my desk system at home. I have a few options that I am looking into, but was wondering if anyone here might have any ideas for a solid options?

I have looked at the following options:
    Khozmo stereo passive preamplifier with input selection
    Elekit TU-8500 Tube-Hybrid preamplifier kit
    Nelson Pass B1 preamplifier kit

Let me know what you all think!

- Simon

CSI

Re: Desktop Sized Preamplifier (Passive or Active)
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2024, 06:03 pm »
Check out the Schitt Freya+. Fully balanced tube preamp. Under $1000. I have had excellent luck with Schitt products including their preamps.

AllanS

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2024, 07:03 pm »
Check out the Schitt Freya+. Fully balanced tube preamp. Under $1000. I have had excellent luck with Schitt products including their preamps.

My experience is the same.  Look at something like the LYR+, Valhalla, or Jotunheim for a smaller form factor (9" wide x 6" deep) and 5 year warranty.  The Valhalla is on close out right now for $299 as they make way for an update.
Benchmark LA4 is similar in size.  Some of NuPrime's gear is similar width but considerably deeper.
SMSL and Topping also both have some relatively compact stuff.

Good luck!

BluShady

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2024, 08:15 pm »
I am very familiar with schiit products, and have used them in the past. I mainly prefer them for their budget units as they are reliable and sound very solid for their pricing. Especially their new iteration of the Magni being an integrated unit at only $100. A fantastic way for beginners into the hobby.

However, when it comes to their gear, I have also noticed it to be very... boring? Especially their tube gear. I have heard the valhalla and the jotunheim and they were both alright, but didnt really wow me. I have seen this opinion reflected through multiple others whos ears I trust, as I have seen we have similar experiences when listening to equipment.

I have also used SMSL in the past, and feel similarly. That is mainly why I have been looking at gear that might not be very common, as I have heard quite a bit of the more common audio brand setups and they havent really been too much to my liking.

Benchmark is certainly an interesting audio brand, and I have heard quite a bit about some of their more famous units (i.e. the AHB2) with high levels of controversy surrounding it. I have not heard it personally, but based on the impressions that I have heard from others, their gear does not seem to be oriented to what I am looking for.

I also would love to venture into the vintage market for some of theses mini units, as I have had fantastic experiences with vintage equipment in the past, but have noticed the vast majority of units are built for a rack, rather than a desktop system. One that seemed interesting, albiet rare, was a mini system from Technics that supposedly was fantastic (that being the SU-CO1). Curious if you all have seen anything like this before?

JMW73

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2024, 08:32 pm »
I like JDS Labs products.  Both of their lines support pre-amp out.  I have the Element III Boosted and use it as a bedside headphone amp.

Edited so say, Geshelli Labs makes some cool desktop stuff too, and I know for a fact that they have pre-amp outputs.  They are a little "unique" and I really love my JDS Labs Element III.  The Element III has an onboard DAC, but that line has a headphone amp/Pre-amp only unit.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2024, 09:20 pm »
I've owned the Benchmark HPA-4, the Bel Canto Pre5, and the Wyred4Sound mPRE. Although I never used them as such, all three would work well as desktop preamps.

In my view, all three are transparent to the point of being the straight wire with gain type amplifiers. They did nothing to the sound other than raise, or lower the volume. If they did, my ear couldn't detect it. If you want a straight wire with gain, and you don't want to break the bank, buy the mPRE.

Doublej

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2024, 11:26 pm »
Parasound, Cyrus, Teac.

snaimpally

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2024, 04:08 am »
Hello all!

I have been looking through many audio forums to find an adequate desktop sized preamplifier for my desk system at home. I have a few options that I am looking into, but was wondering if anyone here might have any ideas for a solid options?

I have looked at the following options:
    Khozmo stereo passive preamplifier with input selection
    Elekit TU-8500 Tube-Hybrid preamplifier kit
    Nelson Pass B1 preamplifier kit

Let me know what you all think!

- Simon

The Topping Pre90 was tested by Audio Science Review and has superb specs. I own it and it is very small and very quiet. It would be perfect for a desktop preamp.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2024, 05:00 am »
I'm selling a KECES Audio HA-171. It's a headphone amp, but it has two inputs, and a fixed and variable output.

PM if interested.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2024, 06:39 am »
See Shiit Jotunheim $399 for a musical sound, mains wall Voltage limited to 115 or 230V.

See SMSL HO200 $399 US retail, around $320 at (SMSL site) Ebay, for a transparent, detailed sound, mains wall Voltage automatic 100V to 240V. EBAY.COM
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2024, 01:59 pm by FullRangeMan »