Low Watt SET Amp Power Cord

holman

Low Watt SET Amp Power Cord
« on: 18 Mar 2018, 09:33 pm »
Any recommendations for a (4W SET amp) power cord. I am looking to buy a power cord and would like some input. Thanks

screener

Re: Low Watt SET Amp Power Cord
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2018, 09:36 pm »

leica m3

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2018, 10:48 pm »
Take a look at the Bottlehead Power Cord, it's less than $100.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2018, 11:34 pm »
Any recommendations for a (4W SET amp) power cord. I am looking to buy a power cord and would like some input. Thanks
I suggest you DIY make your cable or buy a cheap one.
Power cord is something I do not like to buy assembled, due the hi profits margins, its a thing very simple to made.

Manufacturers do not know my needs and do not know the electrical installation of my house, it has no grounding, so the 3th grounding wire is a waste of wire and could be used as input wire force.

Most condos and homes have a ground but it dont works, due oxidation etc so I use a virtual ground I made.

rodge827

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2018, 01:15 am »
I have been using Aural Thrills active power cords on my 300b SET mono amps with great results!

Don't let the cost scare you ask him for a discount.

http://auralthrillsaudio.com/

stereophe

« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2018, 12:57 pm »
I have been using Kimber Pk-10 power cords on my 300b SET mono amps with great results! recommended

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #7 on: 2 Nov 2018, 01:00 pm »
Manufacturers do not know my needs and do not know the electrical installation of my house, it has no grounding, so the 3th grounding wire is a waste of wire and could be used as input wire force.
All manufactures are required to follow the rules about Safety Ground/Protective Earth connections.
If your area has NEC type rules, you should add a GFCI wall receptacle.  While it doen't add  ground fault protection it does add human protection.

Most condos and homes have a ground but it dont works, due oxidation etc so I use a virtual ground I made.
a virtual ground will NEVER act as a Safety Ground/Protective Earth!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #8 on: 2 Nov 2018, 02:41 pm »
A miracle has occurred. . I agree with Speedskater.... :thumb:
For the op. any decent powercord is going to work. Some may change the sound a little.
My favorite is Pangea. Generally the quality is better than the same cost in home made parts.Wattgate basic plugs $13 and $20 some decent wire $8 a foot DH Labs Say you buy 6 ft $48 plus plug is  $81  when you build it yourself. For $80 you can get a 2 meter Pangea AC14 SE Signature.I would recommend either one...
I use them. They are pretty good for $80.Though with my DH Labs $8 ft wire I use Furutech $130 a pop plugs.
Everyone has a favorite. It is the way audiophiles are.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 2 Nov 2018, 03:15 pm »
I recently discovered Pine Tree Audio, I took a chance because they were hand made, but still very inexpensive.  They sound quite good, they look cool AND you can get them in different colors so you can color-code your equipment.  For example I have red for my Dennis Had Inspire monoblocks and green for my Almarro A318B.  I'll probably pick up a blue one from my TAL Korneff 45.  $95 for 6 feet of braided power cord is a pretty good deal:

https://sites.google.com/view/pine-tree-audio/power/iso-braid-ac

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 2 Nov 2018, 05:16 pm »
A couple things.

1. Connectors often make more difference vs the wire in AC power. If you can afford it, rhodium plated pure copper contacts are the best and Furutech has the best quality plating and overall plug design out there.

2. If you're going to spend more than a little bit of cash demo the cable 1st. Many cable companies offer free demos, imo this is key because results may vary. What 1 person thinks of a cable may not apply to your tastes or your system.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 2 Nov 2018, 05:21 pm »
$95 for 6 feet of braided power cord is a pretty good deal

Is it? Lots of 12g stranded copper wire is way under $1/ft. You can get mil-spec sliver-plated wire with teflon insulation for $.60/ft from Apex Jr. $.60 x 3 = $1.80/ft x 1.2 for braiding losses = $2.16 x 6 = $12.96 + about 5 minutes to braid it.

This makes excellent budget power cable and is what I'd personally recommend, except use 2 runs for ground and a 4-strand braid.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #12 on: 2 Nov 2018, 07:48 pm »
Is it? Lots of 12g stranded copper wire is way under $1/ft. You can get mil-spec sliver-plated wire with teflon insulation for $.60/ft from Apex Jr. $.60 x 3 = $1.80/ft x 1.2 for braiding losses = $2.16 x 6 = $12.96 + about 5 minutes to braid it.

This makes excellent budget power cable and is what I'd personally recommend, except use 2 runs for ground and a 4-strand braid.

Are you recommending that for a 4 watt amp? Or just a general recommendation?
I have a Bottlehead Seductor which is 4 watts.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #13 on: 2 Nov 2018, 08:53 pm »
Are you recommending that for a 4 watt amp? Or just a general recommendation?
I have a Bottlehead Seductor which is 4 watts.

Yup, it makes a really nice budget PC imo. Gauge is excessive but some components like it, with others it doesn't matter as much.

I've found SET and class A amps are a little less responsive to PCs in general but they do help. A lot of it is in the plug, the wire clamps and better materials in the electrical contacts are much better vs molded plugs.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #14 on: 2 Nov 2018, 09:24 pm »
A little SET amp doesn't need a 12AWG or even a 14AWG power cord. Nor do pre-amps, DACs and other low wattage components.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #15 on: 3 Nov 2018, 01:06 am »
One can purchase power cords designed for use in data / network centers for low dollars.  They are usually 14GA/3 with double shielding.  Designed to carry lots of power and to reject the high levels of EMI present in such centers.  These are commonplace cables and can usually be purchased for $12-$15 each.   Just make sure to get a cable with NEMA 5-15 and IEC32013 connectors. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #16 on: 3 Nov 2018, 01:25 am »
All manufactures are required to follow the rules about Safety Ground/Protective Earth connections.
If your area has NEC type rules, you should add a GFCI wall receptacle.  While it doen't add  ground fault protection it does add human protection.
A house in a wet area with a new 10mm dia. 3M long copper bar insert on the ground will work fine(resistance under 2 ohms) about 6 months, after 2 years(2 winters) the copper bar will be correded and resistance increase to 5 to 10 ohms and its not operational anymore as a electrical ground.

These electrical rules you mention are valid only to US that use a low tension 120V to homes.

scottschecter

• Call me Deacon Blues
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #17 on: 3 Nov 2018, 01:27 am »
One can purchase power cords designed for use in data / network centers for low dollars.  They are usually 14GA/3 with double shielding.  Designed to carry lots of power and to reject the high levels of EMI present in such centers.  These are commonplace cables and can usually be purchased for $12-$15 each.   Just make sure to get a cable with NEMA 5-15 and IEC32013 connectors.

Got a link for said cord(s)?

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #18 on: 3 Nov 2018, 01:48 am »
A house in a wet area with a new 10mm dia. 3M long copper bar insert on the ground will work fine(resistance under 2 ohms) about 6 months, after 2 years(2 winters) the copper bar will be correded and resistance increase to 5 to 10 ohms and its not operational anymore as a electrical ground.
These electrical rules you mention are valid only to US that use a low tension 120V to homes.
That copper bar inserted in the Earth has nothing to do with the Safety Ground/Protective Earth system or it's functions.

While the Safety Ground/Protective Earth systems are similar world wide.

It's ground rods in the garden and GFCIs  rules that are different.  But that's a different story.

Note to others:
A ground rod in the garden is NOT a substitute for a Safety Ground/Protective Earth system.

OzarkTom

« Reply #19 on: 3 Nov 2018, 02:32 pm »
Wolf Ear Audio makes a good one for about $100. Wolf Ear is on the child boards here on AC. It made a big difference on their 2 watt SET amp that I listened to.