DCM TW1a tweeter field strip

ellisonb

DCM TW1a tweeter field strip
« on: 11 Sep 2023, 12:27 am »
I damaged the Philips AD 0162 T8 tweeter on my Time Window 1a and needed to remove it from the cabinet to repair. Like the woofers, the tweets are screwed AND glued in with the infamous black tar.  Here's the front of the driver in place.

As seen, there are three outer screws. They attach the hard plastic collar surrounding the tweeter to the cabinet. I was reluctant to try removing the inner three screws for fear the driver might come apart in ways difficult to reassemble afterwards. No ability to see what they might connect to while looking at the back to the magnet.

I finally chanced it, removing the three inner screws and the driver did simply let go of the collar. It came off in two pieces as seen here.

The two parts are the main tweeter assembly, along with a small metal plate housing the domed tweeter cover as well as the left and right internal wiring hookup prongs. This just is placed in front of the driver when re-attaching to the cabinet. You can see one side is marked red, which corresponds to the red dot that appears on the back of the tweeter magnet to make sure orientation is correct.

Here's a shot of the other side of the tweeter cover part. You can see tiny pieces of foam they put in there, I assume to help keep the cover convex (but maybe it provides some dampening?).

Anyway, I hope this may be of use to someone. I wasn't able to find any exploded drawings of this online, and I know different companies used this tweeter in various models.  Hope the pictures come through!

Ericus Rex

Re: DCM TW1a tweeter field strip
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2023, 02:01 am »
Thank you!  I have some DCM speaks and will likely have to rebuild the tweeter at some point.  Good info!