Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.
« Reply #400 on: 30 Aug 2013, 06:17 pm »
Hey Andre.....

Peter_S

« Reply #401 on: 31 Aug 2013, 05:21 pm »
Thanks Alex.  That particular Onkyo might be more expensive than the budget allows, but looks nice and I love the internet connectivity - I bet she would love it too.

Any other suggestions from folks?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #402 on: 31 Aug 2013, 07:44 pm »
I'm trying to help a student get set up with a pair of these for her dorm room.  Could anyone provide recommendations for an integrated amp or receiver to go with them?  I'm talking fairly inexpensive either new (ebay chip amps), used (DIY chip amps or SS amps), or used vintage (what specs for a receiver?).  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.
There are some good Pioneer receivers listed in this thread from a few years ago. I bought one of these for $100 and it sounds fine driving a pair of SP-BS41s.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68889.20

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #403 on: 1 Sep 2013, 12:38 am »
There are some good Pioneer receivers listed in this thread from a few years ago. I bought one of these for $100 and it sounds fine driving a pair of SP-BS41s.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68889.20

I have the same receiver still doing duty in the HT rig.  Worked splendid as an integrated in the stereo rig, as a pre-amp in same, and pretty good as a power amp in same.  Fussiness with load is it's downfall.  If you have highish efficiency speakers and either strictly 8 ohm or a combination of 5-6 ohm minimum with benign phase angles it can sound delicious.  If you stray from that it can sound hard and brittle.  The specs I see on the Pioneers look iffy but doable.   

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #404 on: 4 Sep 2013, 06:06 pm »
FYI...

The speakers I ordered last Friday arrived today at the house.....

These had a 1-2 month delivery timeframe last week.

all for $79.99...no shipping and no tax!

Alex

Sorry for the pix quality.....phone 2 mp old camera and crap lighting...
« Last Edit: 4 Sep 2013, 09:17 pm by adydula »

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #405 on: 4 Sep 2013, 09:16 pm »
Well here are mine...playing on top of my SalkSongTowers....

They are really pretty good for the cost and size for sure....abit boomy on the bass end in my room.
They work wonderfully with guitar, voices and stuff that doesn't have a lot of bass.

But as we all know for what they are there really pretty neat..

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #406 on: 4 Sep 2013, 09:25 pm »
wow!!

I played Aaron Copeland's fanfare and was REALLY surprised.....WOW....amazing....

LOL

Alex

charmerci

« Reply #407 on: 5 Sep 2013, 12:16 am »

They are really pretty good for the cost and size for sure....abit boomy on the bass end in my room.
They work wonderfully with guitar, voices and stuff that doesn't have a lot of bass.

Alex

That boominess is cabinet resonance. It mostly goes away if you dampen/brace the walls. I wish more people would do it. I and one other person I know has done it. They sound much better from top to bottom - frequency-wise.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #408 on: 5 Sep 2013, 02:44 am »
Thats an interesting thought...

I did place my ear right on the speaker sides to see if anything was resonating in the enclosure etc and it was not.

Depending on the music being played, the bass violin when plucked seems to be the worse case for me with these things setting on top of the speakers i have in the room.

With other recordings the bass is not too boomy but a bit loose etc...not really well defined as I am used to.

I will try these in another room with totally different dimesions...

That said they are still  quite amazing speakers.

Alex

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #409 on: 5 Sep 2013, 06:13 am »
I haven't heard the BS22s, only my BS41s which I also found a little boomy. It seems that this is not uncommon with un-broken-in speakers, for which the intended cabinet bass tuning does not fall into place until the fs of the bass driver has dropped as it does during the break in process. I tamed the boom on mine with a wad of the smallest straight drinking straws I could find cut in half and stuffed tight into the port. This provides a rudimentary type of "resistive port" and tames the resonance. After enough time has elapsed that the bass/mid driver should be broken in, I'll remove the straws and see if the boom's still there.

jackman

« Reply #410 on: 5 Sep 2013, 09:41 pm »
I've tried the 22's and the 41's and like them both.  The 22's are more refined but the 41's have better bass and are more laid back.  For the money they are both great values. 

Andre2

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #412 on: 6 Sep 2013, 05:03 pm »
Just tryin' to help get your post count higher.  :wink:

Andre2

« Reply #413 on: 6 Sep 2013, 07:24 pm »
Of course.  Thanks.  With this post I am at 293.  Seven to go so I can drop the Jr....  :thumb:  :D

Back on topic.  I have indeed returned the pioneers, and put my "old" (bought them in 2003... time flies) towers back in place on my living room.  I am now deciding if I stick to GR research X1 for my HT LR, or should I try Zu Omen.  Either option would be around $1k.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #414 on: 7 Sep 2013, 12:00 am »
OFF TOPIC
Andre. Please check out >> THIS THREAD <<.
We're talking about this very issue, ans seeing you're so close, it looks like you could use a good excuse to "post pad" a few more times.   :wink:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #415 on: 7 Sep 2013, 12:50 pm »
Bob!  Shame on you.  First you blatantly goad an innocent member into boosting his post count, then an off topic.  What has gotten into you?  :lol:  I demand satisfaction sir!  Dueling IPAs at 4 paces, to the last man standing. :-)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #416 on: 7 Sep 2013, 03:21 pm »
Your description fits me well.   :wink:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #417 on: 7 Sep 2013, 05:20 pm »
The linked thread is hilarious, LMFAO.

trackball02

« Reply #418 on: 7 Sep 2013, 07:12 pm »
Getting back on topic....

What is the best way to internally brace or dampen these speakers?
What has been tried and what works the best?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #419 on: 7 Sep 2013, 07:37 pm »

I can not see the point in doing any modifications on a $77 pair of speakers. Not worth the time and effort. Just sit back and enjoy. An amazing value and lots of fun.

This would be my approach to damping!