Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.

RickB

Re: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.
« Reply #360 on: 22 Aug 2013, 04:04 pm »
Rick
Loved yor story about how happy buying your old system made your friend, great stuff  :thumb: 
Love hearing little stories like that

Glad you're enjoying the new Pioneer's and like you  say,  after you get  some hours on them I'm sure they'll sound even better

-jay

Thanks, Jay, yeah, I have been quite surprised by Darlene's reaction to the gear and how much she loves vinyl....

The CD player I put in the deal is no slouch, but the Graham Slee SE and Denon DP45/ADC XLM combo just really do sound great and prove just how good even a modest vinyl setup can sound!

Here's a view from the listener's seat:

She wanted a system that she could listen to a piece of music and then try and play it back on her piano....if you are standing just outside the room and listening it is hard at times to tell which is the piano and which is the vinyl....

She told me the other day that she has been buying more sheet music and more LP's and having a ball....

That's what it's all about, right?

belzo

« Reply #361 on: 22 Aug 2013, 04:25 pm »
I'm powering my SP-BS22-LR with a Denon AVR-1603.  The Denon manual lists power ratings at both 8 ohms and 6 ohms, however the rear panel says "8 - 16 ohms".

They were designed as an inexpensive speaker to be used with most anything, they're just a little low on sensitivity.  A friend drives them with an Insignia NS-R2001 receiver (about as low on the receiver totem pole as you can go) and it doesn't overheat.

Neither of us are blasting them, but I think you'll be fine.

Steve

Looks like spec wise my receiver is pretty similar to that one other than mine says that it's "100 watts" and yours is "80 watts" per channel. Although, I would take a Denon over a Kenwood any day hopefully I have similar success with mine as well. Thanks for the helpful encouragement. I just placed my order :D

RickB

« Reply #362 on: 22 Aug 2013, 07:09 pm »
OK, subs in place powered by a venerable Dynaco St-150 and just the electronic sub crossover portion in an Audio Control Phase Coupled Activator...subs crossed over only, BS22's run full range.

Infected Mushroom's Avratz....

Geeze, where's the adult diapers when you need them!

I'm not going to say this setup sounds like the YG Acoustics Kipods with all Jeff Rowland electronics at work....nope, that stuff is on a different planet and I couldn't afford it even if I sold my house and everything in it plus my BMW....

But, this is mine, it's all paid for, it absolutely pushes all the buttons I need pushed in my 14' x 12' den, and I know I am just going to enjoy this setup more and more as the days go by...

I really must hand it to Andrew Jones for his exemplary work on these affordable jewels and such audio stalwarts as Frank Van Alstine for giving this old audio geek something new to look forward to playing with!

And, I still have yet to spin vinyl on the Linn!

Edit PS: clean peaks around 107dB on my peak reading sound level meter...it does rock!
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2013, 10:52 pm by RickB »

srb

« Reply #363 on: 22 Aug 2013, 10:04 pm »
I really must hand it to Alan Jones for his exemplary work on these affordable jewels .....
« Last Edit: Today at 02:09:09 pm by RickB »

One more edit - Andrew Jones   ;)

Steve

RickB

« Reply #364 on: 22 Aug 2013, 10:56 pm »
One more edit - Andrew Jones   ;)

Steve

OK, fixed it....you know us old pharts, memory can be, umm, I forgot....but took care of my mistake.

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #365 on: 22 Aug 2013, 11:05 pm »

..snip..

I really must hand it to Andrew Jones for his exemplary work on these affordable jewels and such audio stalwarts as Frank Van Alstine for giving this old audio geek something new to look forward to playing with!

..snip..

Another geezer back in the audiophile game here. Running M2tech hiface into all AVA electronics and the BS22s, with a HSU STF-2 sub that I rarely use.
Quite a revelation.

belzo

« Reply #366 on: 24 Aug 2013, 08:52 pm »
Breaking in my BS22's right now. So far zero issues with my receiver and it doesn't even seem to be running any warmer than usual. :)

Andre2

« Reply #367 on: 24 Aug 2013, 09:34 pm »
okay, fine.  I am getting a pair too.   :D

apollophono

« Reply #368 on: 25 Aug 2013, 12:11 am »
Sheesh, this is getting ridiculous.  My arm hurts already.  Quit twisting it.
I bought some already.  Thanks for the heads up.  Keep those Cheap and
Cheerful recommendations coming.  I really like the 5 gallon sub idea too.

Andre2

« Reply #369 on: 26 Aug 2013, 02:43 am »
Well, went to Best Buy yesterday and bought the left and right for $90 and the center spk for $70; as I had $80 reward I paid $87 with taxes.   :D

Therefore, I am removing the 10-yr old old Boston Acoustic towers that I had in the middle of my living room, and the Pioneers are nicely on top of my console, with a much better and cleaner arrangement.  BTW, on the left side (second pic below) it is the SVS 12 compact sub that I got a week ago.   :thumb:

Sound wise, my old towers were a bit better and more detailed as a stereo set up.  However, I am happy with this system overall, which is primarily for home theater.  And, difficult to beat 3 speakers with reasonable good quality for $87 bucks.

so, previously:

and now:

Andre2

« Reply #370 on: 26 Aug 2013, 02:47 am »
BTW, I am tired of being a "Jr Member".  How many posts do I have to have to became a "Full member"?   :scratch:

roscoeiii

« Reply #371 on: 26 Aug 2013, 02:54 am »
BTW, I am tired of being a "Jr Member".  How many posts do I have to have to became a "Full member"?   :scratch:

3-4000 or so

Andre2

« Reply #372 on: 26 Aug 2013, 02:57 am »
crap...   :o
allright. fine.

whatever.

... just kidding.  who cares.  I am listening to Across the Universe and it sounds great.   :thumb:

Captainhemo

persisting1

« Reply #374 on: 26 Aug 2013, 08:27 am »
Sound wise, my old towers were a bit better and more detailed as a stereo set up.

Sounds like you enjoy your old speakers. Why not return them and buy yourself a nice steak? Food for thought  :thumb:

Sorry, that was horrible  :duh:

Andre2

« Reply #375 on: 26 Aug 2013, 11:52 am »
^^^ well, I am actually considering just that.
As I played Led Zeppelin Celebration Day BlueRay last night, I was missing the old towers more...

Ericus Rex

« Reply #376 on: 26 Aug 2013, 04:00 pm »
^^^ well, I am actually considering just that.
As I played Led Zeppelin Celebration Day BlueRay last night, I was missing the old towers more...

While the little Pioneers are great for the money, I think they are bested by well designed speakers in the $300-500 range.  So I'm not surprised your towers sound better for music.  Those who say these little speakers are "giant killers" are just plain nutty.  But I'm not sure they can be beat for under $300 or so.

As for your Jr. status, just post a bunch of fluffy posts, say 20 - 30 per day and you'll get to full member status in no time!  Worked for me!  The easiest posts are those with Thumbs up Smileys, "+1" and "What he said".  Post a bunch of those a day, whether you actually agree with the quoted post or not, and we'll see you in the Full Member Club real soon!

belzo

« Reply #377 on: 26 Aug 2013, 06:32 pm »
While the little Pioneers are great for the money, I think they are bested by well designed speakers in the $300-500 range.  So I'm not surprised your towers sound better for music.  Those who say these little speakers are "giant killers" are just plain nutty.  But I'm not sure they can be beat for under $300 or so.

As for your Jr. status, just post a bunch of fluffy posts, say 20 - 30 per day and you'll get to full member status in no time!  Worked for me!  The easiest posts are those with Thumbs up Smileys, "+1" and "What he said".  Post a bunch of those a day, whether you actually agree with the quoted post or not, and we'll see you in the Full Member Club real soon!

+1  :lol:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #378 on: 26 Aug 2013, 06:43 pm »
+1  :lol:

:thumb:

Top AC Poster here I come!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #379 on: 26 Aug 2013, 06:48 pm »
:thumb:

Top AC Poster here I come!

+1   :thumb: