Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Re: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.
« Reply #320 on: 8 Jul 2013, 11:25 pm »
In a couple of the pictures they show what looks like the BS22 and they are holding them sideways even with the curved sides. I don't see why you couldn't velcro or double back tape them from the bottom and use the clamps as well. Also, if the bottom plate has holes, what Steve said would work fine too.

Greg

dragoonxp20

« Reply #321 on: 8 Jul 2013, 11:28 pm »
The mounts look like they may have some slots in the bottom plate.  If so, use that pair of holes or if not, drill a pair of clearance holes in the plate and drill a pair of pilot holes in the bottom of the speakers one drill size smaller than the root diameter (minus threads) of the screw.

Much cleaner looking than straps, IMO.

Steve

Wouldn't that void some warranties?

jackman

« Reply #322 on: 8 Jul 2013, 11:31 pm »
Wouldn't that void some warranties?

Yep, but if you are going to blow a warrantee, why not do it on a $99 speaker?

persisting1

« Reply #323 on: 8 Jul 2013, 11:35 pm »
In a couple of the pictures they show what looks like the BS22 and they are holding them sideways even with the curved sides. I don't see why you couldn't velcro or double back tape them from the bottom and use the clamps as well. Also, if the bottom plate has holes, what Steve said would work fine too.

Greg

Thanks for pointing out the pictures. Didn't see them  :duh: Seems like he'll be just fine without having to drill.

srb

« Reply #324 on: 8 Jul 2013, 11:50 pm »
Thanks for pointing out the pictures. Didn't see them  :duh: Seems like he'll be just fine without having to drill.

3/4" lag bolts, I tell ya!

I recognized B&W CM2 and Quad 11L, but didn't see the set of customer images including the BS-22 at first either.

I agree, maybe some black rubber pads for the side clamps (so you don't see blue putty splooging out) and either velcro or Blu-Tack for the bottom would be fine.

Steve

Occam

« Reply #325 on: 10 Jul 2013, 03:12 pm »
Trying to keep it cheap and cheerful  :icon_lol: If you're looking for Superior BP-30 gold plated binding posts, and you don't mind non-standard colors, blue, yellow and green, they're available as singles for $1 each
http://www.apexjr.com/Jacks.htm

They've also got Chinese binding posts at low cost. My preference, subjective & non DBT, is to go with the Superiors, as they are superior and don't break when torqued.... FWIW

Kurtamus

Fry's again
« Reply #326 on: 13 Jul 2013, 01:16 am »
Frys has the 52's at $77 each and the 22's at $77 a pair in the weekly sale advertisment

http://www.frys.com/ads/page4#AdNavi

OzarkTom

Re: Fry's again
« Reply #327 on: 13 Jul 2013, 02:14 am »
Frys has the 52's at $77 each and the 22's at $77 a pair in the weekly sale advertisment

http://www.frys.com/ads/page4#AdNavi

If no Frys stores are close buy, you might call Monica at the San Atonio store to get this deal. She said they will ship at this price.

apollophono

« Reply #328 on: 14 Jul 2013, 01:51 am »
Ozark Tom
I don't see the phone number for San Antonio store.  I don't see a store listed in
San Antonio under the store locator tool on the internet.  Do you have a phone
number for that store or am I looking in the wrong direction. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #329 on: 14 Jul 2013, 02:20 am »
Ozark Tom
I don't see the phone number for San Antonio store.  I don't see a store listed in
San Antonio under the store locator tool on the internet.  Do you have a phone
number for that store or am I looking in the wrong direction.

Oops. I should have said the Austin store. Right state, wrong city. :duh:

DS-21

« Reply #330 on: 15 Jul 2013, 02:17 am »
Gentlemen, please.  A big part of the C&C circle is tweaking inexpensive items with inexpensive tweaks, doesn’t anyone remember the Insignia speaker thread where you had to buy a $5 can of water putty to make a drastic difference in the sound.

IIRC the Insignia was kerfed particleboard, maybe MDF, and the "water putty" tweak was simply filling in the kerfs.

Of course, there's a gigantic, insurmountable difference between effectively thickening the walls of very cheaply-made cabinet  and futzing with mere wires (and binding posts). It's intellectually dishonest to equate the two in any way, shape, or form.

Expensive or inexpensive, who cares? People will buy what they like that they can (hopefully!) afford. The more relevant categories here are "reality" and "nonsense."

Here, mods to cabinet damping, crossover topology, etc. could do something. Might be worse, might be better. But it will be something. If people wish to "tweak," if nothing else it's a more efficient use of one's time to start with such things that might cause actual changes.

That said, if one wants to upgrade the terminals to something markedly superior - not in sound, which is identical to any competent binding post, but in every other aspect - then skip the hopeless kludge that is the monopolar binding post and use the modern Speakon connector from Neutrik instead. The Speakon has real advantages over the standard consumer audio kludge, such as being positive-locking, quick disconnect, entirely insulated, and multipolar. And despite being made in the EU, they're also cheap, because they're marketed as effective and practical commodity parts rather than as fetish objects for the scientifically illiterate.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #331 on: 15 Jul 2013, 04:12 pm »
You disagreed?  I'm stunned.

srb

« Reply #332 on: 15 Jul 2013, 04:26 pm »
You disagreed?  I'm stunned.

He's only disagreeing with the intellectually dishonest and scientifically illiterate.   ;)

Steve

hyghwayman

« Reply #333 on: 16 Aug 2013, 07:07 pm »
Macrame to the rescue  :P

I was wondering the same thing myself. I bought these speakers for my brother and want to mount them on the wall so his newborn won't be able to get to them.

There isn't any threading on the speakers and the cabinets are curved so I think the best way would be to use some kind of strap to wrap around the speaker and mount.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #334 on: 17 Aug 2013, 05:58 am »
Macrame to the rescue  :P

aka plant hangers.....

hyghwayman

« Reply #335 on: 17 Aug 2013, 10:43 am »
Yes, plant hangers is how I was able to get my speakers off the table and out of my grandsons reach. :)

Ryan45872

« Reply #336 on: 17 Aug 2013, 01:34 pm »
Wanted to let Audiocircle members know that I just got todays BestBuy flyer. And all Pioneer speakers are 30% off starting tomorrow(Sunday Aug.18-24).
Ryan
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2013, 06:45 pm by Ryan45872 »

DS-21

« Reply #337 on: 18 Aug 2013, 12:32 am »
He's only disagreeing with the intellectually dishonest and scientifically illiterate. ***

Correct. Both of those things fully apply to any comparison between making a cheap kerf-curved enclosure more rigid by filling in the kerfs, and futzing with mere wires (or binding posts).

drtool

« Reply #338 on: 18 Aug 2013, 02:56 am »
I  have to pick up a pair. Need to compare them to my $12.00 speaker challenge I have with a forum member . Hi Jay, doing all right I hope.
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2013, 01:42 am by drtool »

Ericus Rex

« Reply #339 on: 18 Aug 2013, 11:43 am »
Yes, plant hangers is how I was able to get my speakers off the table and out of my grandsons reach. :)

Clever and oh so stylish!