Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.

OzarkTom

Re: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.
« Reply #300 on: 6 Jul 2013, 01:43 pm »
Or you might do the Danny Ritchie mod and not use the binding posts. But do get rid of those lugs and solder your wires direct to the midrange!woofer. I know why Pioneer uses those lugs, much easier to change out the driver under warranty repair.

Most of the websites has those Superior Electric binding posts for around 22 bucks each. Pioneer would never use that quality in a 99 buck speakers. So that Ebay ten dollar deal is a great buy for US made binding posts.

You will be amazed in the sound improvement from these two mods,  it steps the Pioneers up at least a couple of more notches.

srb

« Reply #301 on: 6 Jul 2013, 02:29 pm »
I too, think the speaker terminals on the Pioneer speakers are very poor.

Both the stock binding posts and the Superior Electric posts are gold-plated brass.  What specifically about the stock posts leads you to judge them poor quality?

Steve

Wayner

« Reply #302 on: 6 Jul 2013, 02:54 pm »
My banana jacks do not seat in the well very good, as it is not deep enough. I also think the knurled nuts are too deep in the recess to get a good tight connection when using just a plain wire.

Wayner

Wayner

« Reply #303 on: 6 Jul 2013, 02:58 pm »
Or you might do the Danny Ritchie mod and not use the binding posts. But do get rid of those lugs and solder your wires direct to the midrange!woofer. I know why Pioneer uses those lugs, much easier to change out the driver under warranty repair.

Most of the websites has those Superior Electric binding posts for around 22 bucks each. Pioneer would never use that quality in a 99 buck speakers. So that Ebay ten dollar deal is a great buy for US made binding posts.

You will be amazed in the sound improvement from these two mods,  it steps the Pioneers up at least a couple of more notches.

How do you know that they are US made? I didn't see anything on the eBay auction that indicated that other then the write-up. The box that says Monster Cable does not use the correct word font, nor is the Monster Cable logo on the box. I think the auction is a fraud, because in fact, they are not made by Monster cable, and they are not made in the US, rather a cheap looking copy of the Parts Express or Pomona connectors that Frank uses, and more then likely, a Chinese copy.

I'd say, buyer be ware.

Wayner

bregez

« Reply #304 on: 6 Jul 2013, 04:47 pm »
I have used those parts express #090-475 on a speaker project and they are ok, just don't over tighten because they break really easy.   I think radio shack sells the same ones (#274-718).  I have also used some parts express #091-1150's  and they are absolute crap.  Cheap cast Chinese brass.  I put them in a lathe to cut down the ends and they broke as soon as the parting tool hit the threads.   Apparently the Chinese like to use fillers in their brass to keep costs down.   My favorites are Pomona 6883,  when I cut the ends down you could tell that these are quality posts and are not the cheap variety of brass.  It also didn't appear that they were cast.  I am not sure where they are made but at around $2.50 a pair they are a deal.  As Wayner stated I think these are the ones that AVA uses on their products. 

FireGuy

« Reply #305 on: 6 Jul 2013, 04:57 pm »
I would love to hear these Pioneers...amount of posts these guys have received is amazing.  I suppose, spend a little more and get these.  No mods required.  Ascend, Axiom and NHT.

Doublej

« Reply #306 on: 6 Jul 2013, 05:53 pm »
How do you know that they are US made? I didn't see anything on the eBay auction that indicated that other then the write-up. The box that says Monster Cable does not use the correct word font, nor is the Monster Cable logo on the box. I think the auction is a fraud, because in fact, they are not made by Monster cable, and they are not made in the US, rather a cheap looking copy of the Parts Express or Pomona connectors that Frank uses, and more then likely, a Chinese copy.

I'd say, buyer be ware.

Wayner

Probably a good idea to be wary. It does say NOS. Does anyone know if Monster ever made speaker terminals? Even if they are legit a pair with shipping will set you back $32 which adds almost 40% to the price of the speakers!

DS-21

« Reply #307 on: 6 Jul 2013, 09:02 pm »
Probably a good idea to be wary. It does say NOS. Does anyone know if Monster ever made speaker terminals? Even if they are legit a pair with shipping will set you back $32 which adds almost 40% to the price of the speakers!

As long as the user thinks they're special magic binding posts, that's all that matters. This binding post swap is just placebo anyway.

Adding damping material to the cabinet, or bracing, etc., may result in changes, for better or worse. So might changing the topology of the crossover (as opposed to swapping out the parts for parts with more expensive branding but the same values). The modder will invariably think said mods are a big improvement (Beranek's Law and all that) of course, regardless of actual efficacy.

trackball02

« Reply #308 on: 6 Jul 2013, 10:17 pm »
I'm using spades with my pair, and they seem to fit snugly.

I can not see the point in doing any modifications on a $77 pair of speakers. Not worth the time and effort. Just sit back and enjoy. An amazing value and lots of fun.

srb

« Reply #309 on: 7 Jul 2013, 12:31 am »
I'm using spades with my pair, and they seem to fit snugly.

I'm using Z-type ("BFA") banana plugs, so I have a tight fit with most binding posts including these, and don't have to tighten the recessed knurled nuts to secure anything.

I can not see the point in doing any modifications on a $77 pair of speakers. Not worth the time and effort.

You're probably right, but I think I might be able to squeeze a 2% - 3% performance gain replacing the binding posts with Furutech FT-808 Rhodium and the crossover capacitors with Duelund CAST/PIO-Ag.   ;)

However on a more serious note, I was considering soldering the driver wires direct and possibly damping the stamped steel woofer baskets, investing an hour + of labor and next to nothing in materials.

Steve

jackman

« Reply #310 on: 7 Jul 2013, 04:07 am »
As long as the user thinks they're special magic binding posts, that's all that matters. This binding post swap is just placebo anyway.

Adding damping material to the cabinet, or bracing, etc., may result in changes, for better or worse. So might changing the topology of the crossover (as opposed to swapping out the parts for parts with more expensive branding but the same values). The modder will invariably think said mods are a big improvement (Beranek's Law and all that) of course, regardless of actual efficacy.

Come on, DS!
You know that every person in the history of audio who has ever modded a piece of gear has noticed tremendous improvements...especially when the mods cost a lot of money.  This binding post mod only costs a few bucks so I'm guessing the impact is modest. 

Put some fancy silver or gold Teflon caps or desire these speakers with super expensive cables and I'm sure the proverbial "veil" will be lifted.   People will start to hear details in recordings, wives who know nothing about the fine science of modding or audio will suddenly comment on how the singer sounds like she is "in the room".

My favorite thread on this topic is the Stillpoints thread in the Von Schweikert circle.  There is a guy, who I will not name, who hears massive improvements every time he changes anything or implements any tweak. He spent over $5k on magic hockey pucks to put between his monitors and subs and his system was totally "transformed".  He did this without even thinking to try less expensive options ($50 sorbothane balls) that seem to accomplish the same task - dampening vibration.  Of course sorbothane balls don't carry the same bling factor. They are also cheaper so how can they be better? 

For the record, I've replaced te cables, cabinets, crossovers and drivers in my little Pioneer speakers (ive only kept the original connectors, badges and grills) and they sound MUCH better.  I would hazard to say they sound like totally different speakers.  When my $5k Stillpoints get here, I fully expect these little beauties to sing like never before (at least that's what the salesman said).  You can't put a price on that!

Cheers

Jack

OzarkTom

« Reply #311 on: 7 Jul 2013, 04:12 am »

I'd say, buyer be ware.

Wayner

If those are made by Superior Electric, as advertised in the Ebay listing, then they are USA made.

The change in sound that I heard easily warrants the money spent. One of my quibbles was that the speakers did not focus well, but that has totally changed with the two mods. And the increase in openness is quite nice also. This is not subtle.

But I totally understand on why spend more money on a cheap pair of speakers that sounds pretty good and most here will only use these as back-ups or in a second bedroom or computer system. I was just reporting on what I heard. It could be most of the improvement came in hard wiring the driver. Rex had modded both items before I listened to them.

On Rex's speakers, he had used these insulation sheets inside his speakers.
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/acoustic-damping/dampers-deflex-standard-panel/

OzarkTom

« Reply #312 on: 7 Jul 2013, 02:30 pm »
To be honest, if I had not heard the difference, I would have never had done these mods. I have never been too much of a tweekster, but Rex,  my long time audio buddy, is.

It just makes a fun cheap and cheerful speaker more fun.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #313 on: 7 Jul 2013, 04:38 pm »
Gentlemen, please.  A big part of the C&C circle is tweaking inexpensive items with inexpensive tweaks, doesn’t anyone remember the Insignia speaker thread where you had to buy a $5 can of water putty to make a drastic difference in the sound.

I wish the gentlemen who keep espousing that tweaks and ultra expensive go hand in hand would simple just stop.  There is absolutely no correlation in the real world, except in some advertising copy.  I have cable elevators, they cost about 25 cents and are made from 2x4s.  I have maple footers under my components, they cost about 50 cents because I cut them from a length of maple from Lowes.  I did spend $15 for a Caig kit from Radio Shack because clean contacts do make a difference.

Except for labor and solder, and perhaps some binding posts that might make better contact for what, $20 I think, no one is suggesting busting into banks (except for Steve's joke)  to fund the mods on the Pioneer speaker.  If you don’t agree, fine, but don’t equate the mods suggested with spending large sums of money, it’s disingenuous and duplicitous.

jackman

« Reply #314 on: 7 Jul 2013, 05:49 pm »
Hey Guys,
I was only joking but I still find it surprising and a bit baffling that a set of new terminals and soldering the wires to the drivers could result in this kind of improvement. I've got some decent copper connectors around here and soldering the cables to the drivers is easy enough.

For the record, I will not be using stillpoints.

Cheers

Jack

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #315 on: 7 Jul 2013, 08:59 pm »
Yeah, internal wiring and binding posts can make a really big difference. Best bang for your buck is Pomona gold plated copper binding posts at under $9 each. I like UPOCC copper for wiring.

raysracing

« Reply #316 on: 7 Jul 2013, 09:08 pm »
delete

persisting1

« Reply #317 on: 8 Jul 2013, 10:54 pm »
I don't have these, but a friend is interested in using these with wall mounts. What would be the best way to secure them to the mounts?

These are the mounts. 

Is there threading on the speakers for screws or should he use blu tack or a velcro strap?

dragoonxp20

« Reply #318 on: 8 Jul 2013, 11:02 pm »
I don't have these, but a friend is interested in using these with wall mounts. What would be the best way to secure them to the mounts?

These are the mounts. 

Is there threading on the speakers for screws or should he use blu tack or a velcro strap?

I was wondering the same thing myself. I bought these speakers for my brother and want to mount them on the wall so his newborn won't be able to get to them.

There isn't any threading on the speakers and the cabinets are curved so I think the best way would be to use some kind of strap to wrap around the speaker and mount.

srb

« Reply #319 on: 8 Jul 2013, 11:16 pm »
The mounts look like they may have some slots in the bottom plate.  If so, use that pair of holes or if not, drill a pair of clearance holes in the plate and drill a pair of pilot holes in the bottom of the speakers one drill size smaller than the root diameter (minus threads) of the screw.

Much cleaner looking than straps, IMO.

Steve