Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.

charmerci

Re: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.
« Reply #260 on: 27 May 2013, 07:44 pm »
How can you say that these speakers produce any kind of acceptable bass as all who heard them claim. It does not look physically possible,and the driver looks like it's mass produced in China.

Since you don't believe 13 pages of AC members saying so, then the only way is to listen to them yourself.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #261 on: 8 Jun 2013, 09:23 pm »
Amazon has the BS-22's on sale for $99.99. (free shipping) :thumb:

Best,

Ruben

raysracing

« Reply #262 on: 8 Jun 2013, 09:52 pm »
This is fun being able to recommend a speaker that most can afford and they and you can justify easily. They are so small, light and easy to place and don't seem finicky to set-up, power, equipment, etc. And you know they will enjoy them too and if for some reason they do not, well you wanted some rear surrounds or your 7.1 set-up anyways.

Ray

OzarkTom

« Reply #263 on: 9 Jun 2013, 01:56 am »
Mine has broken in for two weeks now and coupled with that $80 Class D amp that I bought on Ebay this is very fun. The system images nicely, speakers disappear, and is very smooth and magical sounding. If any of your friends say that they only have $500 to spend on an amp and speakers, this is the way to send them. And the total cost is less than $200.

Kurtamus

« Reply #264 on: 9 Jun 2013, 02:44 am »
Frys has the 22's for $77 a pair, and the floor standing 52's for $154 a pair, they are listed as "major name brand" in the ad copy.

http://www.frys.com/ads/page5#AdNavi

Amazon has the BS-22's on sale for $99.99. (free shipping) :thumb:

Best,

Ruben

OzarkTom

« Reply #265 on: 9 Jun 2013, 03:24 am »
Frys has the 22's for $77 a pair, and the floor standing 52's for $154 a pair, they are listed as "major name brand" in the ad copy.

Can you buy them online at that price? How do the 52's sound?

srb

« Reply #266 on: 9 Jun 2013, 03:41 am »
Can you buy them online at that price?

Several weeks ago I called Frys to see if I could buy them online at the sale price.  I was able to get it done after the salesperson conferred with his manager, but after I reported my experience back to the forum someone else tried and was denied.  Now I see the print ad has a footnote (maybe it did before as well?) which says "Advertised prices valid only in metropolitan circulation area of newspaper in which advertisement appear".

So I guess I got lucky.

Steve

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #267 on: 9 Jun 2013, 11:32 am »
Thanks to fellow A/Cer neekomax, here's an interview with Andrew Jones, respected speaker designer, who explains what went into his work behind these speakers:

http://twit.tv/show/home-theater-geeks/112

OzarkTom

« Reply #268 on: 9 Jun 2013, 04:03 pm »
I called the Plano Tx. store and I was denied on a pair of the 52's. Sales person said in-store sales only. But she did say Fry's is trying to get their stores built in every state, none in Missouri at the moment. :(

mboxler

« Reply #269 on: 9 Jun 2013, 04:19 pm »
How do the 52's sound?

I found the 52's to be too sibilant...fatiguing.  I can listen to the 22's for hours.  Gave the 52's to my son.  He seems okay with them.

Mike

OzarkTom

« Reply #270 on: 9 Jun 2013, 04:34 pm »
I found the 52's to be too sibilant...fatiguing.  I can listen to the 22's for hours.  Gave the 52's to my son.  He seems okay with them.

Mike

Thanks Mike for the info. I almost just bought a pair from Fry's out of Austin. I guess I will now pass. If you call Monica there at the Austin store, she is taking orders on these Pioneers at this sale price.

bummrush

« Reply #271 on: 9 Jun 2013, 04:36 pm »
I can un hook my Clements and lay the Pioneer horizontal on top of the Clements ,tweeter inside when I want a change. I think they sound seamless and very clear.For a freak in $50. Which I constantly have to remind myself if I nit pick.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #272 on: 13 Jun 2013, 07:21 pm »
Hi, I just read the latest review from Stereophile July 2013 by Robert Reina on the Pioneer BS22-LR. After all the disscription of various music he listened to he matched them up with the Epos ELS3 and the Wharfdale Diamond 10.1. With that tiny 4 inch woofer, Reina said the Pioneer beat them both in low bass. But one thing that questions his expertise or that challenges my thought is this statement (I slightly preferred the sound with the grills on-with the SP-BS22-LR's sitting on my Celestion Si stands,the grills provided better integration of the midrange and high frequencies). With what I have learned about grills and sound (difraction) this makes no sense. How and when in time has any grill helped the integration of midrange and high frequencies.That goes against any law I have learned about speaker performance. If I'm wrong here,let me know. I will say it did get a really great review as almost all here have told about.....sincerely...Mark Korda

Jon L

« Reply #273 on: 13 Jun 2013, 08:20 pm »

This is how the Pioneers were set up at T.H.E. Show, and they were just great, and not just "for the price," either.

EOSD3251 by drjlo2, on Flickr

EOSD3252 by drjlo2, on Flickr

jackman

« Reply #274 on: 13 Jun 2013, 09:38 pm »
I'm still trying to figure out how these can sound so good.  The cabinets are thinner than the older 41's I have (from Pioneer, previous generation), the drivers appear to be inexpensive (but decent construction considering the price) and they are very lightweight.  I've abused mine and although they don't like to be played very loud, they sound great.  Andrew Jones is a talented guy, and I appreciate his efforts in making something this cheap sound so good. 

Do they sound as good as my Series 5 Bamberg's?  No, not even close, but that's not the point.  I paid $69 for these, delivered.  I've owned some popular vintage speakers through the years, from the likes of Polk, Advent, Klipsch, etc., and don't recall any of them sounding as enjoyable as these little Pioneers.  Plus, if you blow one up, you can just buy a new pair for a little over a hundred at normal prices.  Warning, these are NOT easy to blow up!  I had those little woofers (is a 4" driver really a woofer?) jumping on some bass-heavy tracks and was unable to damage them. 

In a hobby where people spend more than $5K on magic "pucks" (or Stillpoints) to put between their speakers and stands, without feeling ripped off, the value these little speakers deliver is insanely good.   :thumb:

vortrex

« Reply #275 on: 13 Jun 2013, 11:03 pm »
In a hobby where people spend more than $5K on magic "pucks" (or Stillpoints) to put between their speakers and stands, without feeling ripped off, the value these little speakers deliver is insanely good.   :thumb:

I'd like to see someone put a nice veneer on the cabinets, remove any Pioneer badges, and set them up at a show with a higher price tag.  I imagine there would be buyers.

OzarkTom

« Reply #276 on: 14 Jun 2013, 02:38 am »
After playing mine for the last few days with amps like the $6500 Stello AI700, $500 TBI Millenia MKII amp, the $80 Chinese amp, and the new $1500 Job 225 amp that 6moons recently raved about, I could live with these Pioneers the rest of my life. These speakers sounds good with any of the above amps, very magical sounding and totally disappears in my room.

And if you took these speakers with an all battery system to any of the big audio shows, you could easily embarrass about 75-80% of the other systems there at a fraction of the price.

ltr317

« Reply #277 on: 14 Jun 2013, 02:43 am »
This is how the Pioneers were set up at T.H.E. Show, and they were just great, and not just "for the price," either.

EOSD3251 by drjlo2, on Flickr

EOSD3252 by drjlo2, on Flickr

I had a nice chat with the Pioneer rep in that room, and told him I was using a pair as my TV speakers.  The SP-BS22-LR have really good upper bass, enough that I don't turn on the sub most of the time unless I'm watching a movie with lots of explosions and rumble.  :D

The setup in the room with their $300 receiver demonstrated what a good entry level audiophile system is capable but really doesn't have the refinement and resolution of a truly high end system. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #278 on: 14 Jun 2013, 02:59 am »
I had a nice chat with the Pioneer rep in that room, and told him I was using a pair as my TV speakers.  The SP-BS22-LR have really good upper bass, enough that I don't turn on the sub most of the time unless I'm watching a movie with lots of explosions and rumble.  :D

The setup in the room with their $300 receiver demonstrated what a good entry level audiophile system is capable but really doesn't have the refinement and resolution of a truly high end system.

But if you use some highly refined electronics like the $1500 Job 225 and the $5000 AMR Dac/pre. it starts getting very close.

ltr317

« Reply #279 on: 14 Jun 2013, 03:21 am »
But if you use some highly refined electronics like the $1500 Job 225 and the $5000 AMR Dac/pre. it starts getting very close.

Perhaps Tom, but I don't know anyone who will do that permanently.  The limitations of the BS22 will show up in long term listening.