Beethoven's 10th Symphony Discovered !!!

WGH

Beethoven's 10th Symphony Discovered !!!
« on: 2 Apr 2012, 04:20 am »

April 1, 2012
Weekend Edition Sunday has reported that the first two movements of Beethoven's 10 Symphony has been recently discovered. Reporter Naomi Lewin carefully unfolds the mysterious saga of a new Beethoven discovery.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptivecadence/2012/04/01/149697309/beethovens-10th-symphony-for-real

Exciting stuff folks, take a listen.

Wayne

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
Re: Beethoven's 10th Symphony Discovered !!!
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2012, 04:28 am »
Have you noticed the date today?  Pretty sure someone is pulling our leg.  Did you hear the Guy on the radio, way too German.

It would be cool if it were true though, NPR does something like this every year.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2012, 01:29 am »
Have you noticed the date today?  Pretty sure someone is pulling our leg.  Did you hear the Guy on the radio, way too German.

It would be cool if it were true though, NPR does something like this every year.

I would think it's NOT April Fool's joke.  On the radio, I recall hearing someone talking about it with NY Phil's current conductor Alan Gilbert.  It was yesterday or the day before, can't be sure.  I think Gilbert said he's programmed it in their next season's lineup (2013)?  I wouldn't think it was a joke on WNYC. :duh:

Todd_A

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2012, 03:54 am »
LvB's 10th is a well known could-have-been.  Wyn Morris recorded a modern day completion of what was supposedly a fragmentary movement from the 10th years ago.  There is no true, completed 10th, but there's something to cling to, for those who want to.

jerryleefish

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2012, 05:30 am »
It has been said Brahms 1st Symphony was Beethoven's 10th.

ClefChef

« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2012, 02:38 am »
It has been said Brahms 1st Symphony was Beethoven's 10th.

Yep, that is the general consensus.