“A man’s got to know his limitations”

Stewart Bailey

“A man’s got to know his limitations”
« on: 25 May 2022, 01:04 pm »
I am a retired single guy and a project person. I dig a lot of holes, none of them very deep.  One of my limitations is underestimating the amount of learning a project can require if it outside of my knowledge base, can take. This is pretty much why I am here, to learn enough to finish upgrading my sound system.

I am not an audiophile and being at the bottom of the learning curve I had hoped to be able to search this site first to find answers to basic questions that I suspect have already been asked and answered. However, it seems that, unlike other forums I visit, searching is not allowed here without first having multiple posts approved, so this post is the first step.

My situation is that I have just finished building the Sony SS-CS5 speaker conversion. I tested them with my iPod, so I know I did something right, but I realize now that I have no way to assess the speaker quality without first knowing the quality of the information the speakers are receiving. This is why I am here, to find out what to consider as far as audio input. I have questions about speaker wire, speaker positioning, digital music file quality, how to obtain consistent quality files and options for digital playing.

I wish I had something to offer the forum, but as I know little about audio technology all I can offer is to relate my experience of building the Sony speaker upgrade, if that is of any value to anyone.

Jeff

Blackmore

Re: “A man’s got to know his limitations”
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2022, 01:21 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle

dpatters

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2022, 02:47 pm »
Welcome Jeff. AC is a pretty friendly place. I’m sure you’ll find what you are looking for.

Don P

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2022, 04:08 pm »
Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2022, 04:47 pm »
Welcome Jeff  :thumb:
If you need speaker projects suggestions ask me that I will recommend the Frugal Horn XL for a 6'' FR driver if you have a room corner unused or the Li Audio F15 OB just $399 pair  8) 
https://www.frugal-horn.com/FHXL.html

https://www.lii-audio.com/product/recommended-15-full-range-speaker-driver-for-music-loudspeaker-with-tube-amplifier-f-15-in-pair/

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2022, 05:00 pm »
Jeff,
You need good source material to judge.  If you have access to a decent CD player or universal player, look at the following thread of hundreds of recommended cd's.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=63936.0

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2022, 11:06 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Jeff   :thumb:  Wise words from Harry there.  :wink:

AllanS

« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2022, 05:29 am »

My situation is that I have just finished building the Sony SS-CS5 speaker conversion. I tested them with my iPod, so I know I did something right, but I realize now that I have no way to assess the speaker quality without first knowing the quality of the information the speakers are receiving. This is why I am here, to find out what to consider as far as audio input. I have questions about speaker wire, speaker positioning, digital music file quality, how to obtain consistent quality files and options for digital playing.

I wish I had something to offer the forum, but as I know little about audio technology all I can offer is to relate my experience of building the Sony speaker upgrade, if that is of any value to anyone.

Jeff

Welcome aboard Jeff.  Just being here you're offering folks an opportunity to help someone along.  I'm relatively new here also so still learning my way around.  Someone who know the ropes better might direct you elsewhere but I suggest heading over to the All Solid State circle and pose your question.  Folks will want to know what you have in your system, the room/environment you're set up in (especially for speaker set up), what you're looking to accomplish, your budget, etc.  Good luck!

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2022, 06:30 am »
I dig a lot of holes, none of them very deep.  One of my limitations is underestimating the amount of learning a project can require if it outside of my knowledge base, can take. This is pretty much why I am here, to learn enough to finish upgrading my sound system.

Some people just dip their toes into this hobby, some do a cannonball off the high dive. Really that's half the fun of learning is jumping in and figuring your way through it. Spend enough time lurking around here and you'll be bound to find some interesting tips to help you along as well. I would recommend spending some time cruising the Cheap & Cheerful section. I've seen and heard some preally decent stereos on budgets similar to theirs. Most importantly, have some fun enjoying the music. Whether it's critical listening for the super hidden detail or cranking some music while cooking in the kitchen, it's all about the joy of tapping your toes to the beat.

Welcome to the club,
-Lloyd

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2022, 12:12 pm »
Welcome!  3 posts and you should have "full" access to the site.  Don't know what the Sony SS-CS5 conversion" is but from a quick glance of the loudspeaker it's hardly worth your time to work on.  Cabinets are super thin, 3 drivers at this price must be really cheap.  I'm not much of a DIY guy, the last work I did on audio gear was to assemble Hafler pre-amp and power amp kits and build a pair of large woofer boxes from a DIY kit all in 1980. 

A better value proposition is active monitors.  Kali LP-6 v.2 for instance is a small 2-way design, $179 each.  Comes with built in power amps (being active they are fed low voltage signal directly to a sophisticated crossover and then to one channel of power amplication matched to each driver.  The designers are former JBL guys.  They use a wave guide (shallow horn) for the tweeter which blends dispersion with woofer at the crossover frequency, extends the tweeter frequency downward, and adds efficiency to the tweeter.  Loudspeakers are the most important component in the audio system.  Recommend buying Blue Jean interconnects (cheap, good quality). 

The second most important component is the room.  Avoid small, square, uninsulated spaces (that includes ductwork and door).  Ideal setup in midfield, say 7ft equalateral triangle between loudspeakers and listener with loudspeakers 5ft from the front wall.  Add absorption treatments if the room seems to echo excessively.
i
Next suggest looking into streaming CD or better quality music.  Subscription services like Tidal or Quboz provide access to millions of albums.  NAD Bluesound Node 2i is the consummate affordable streamer.  Compact, easy to use and integrate with multiple sources/rooms and TV, no pre-amp needed. 

psycho1122

« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2022, 01:21 pm »
The SONY SS-CS5 conversion is referred to as the "Unicorn" speaker. Low initial cost that will benefit from a GR Research Upgrade.

https://youtu.be/upVyx7G5T2U

Cheers!

Stewart Bailey

What determines approved posts?
« Reply #11 on: 5 Dec 2022, 07:28 pm »
I posted my introduction last year and made to responses which show in my profile and yet I am still getting the message that I need to get 3 approved posts before I can access certain places. Are responses not considered as approved posts approved and if not what determines whether they are approved or not?

adminRH

• Admin
Re: What determines approved posts?
« Reply #12 on: 6 Dec 2022, 12:07 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Stewart!
The threads you previously started got deleted so your posts in those don't count.
At first glance I don't see yet why they were deleted but I will investigate.
Meantime just a make a couple short & sweet posts in this thread and I will approve quickly.
I'll  reply later with my findings on the older threads.
Thanks for your patience and for trying again.
Rich

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: What determines approved posts?
« Reply #13 on: 6 Dec 2022, 12:46 am »
Welcome again, as you already presented yourself in 25May I will merge your initial topic with this current thread you started today.
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2022, 03:47 am by FullRangeMan »