Kaplan Cables H.E. Power Cord

nature boy

Kaplan Cables H.E. Power Cord
« on: 8 Mar 2009, 03:31 pm »
During the last several weeks, I have the opportunity to listen to
Kaplan Cables H.E. power cords in my system.  The cords have proven to
be the single most significant and effective upgrade I have made to my
system in more than 25 years of listening  :D, more to come but first
a little background on my system and listening room.

My audio system sonic goal is to recreate live recording events
realistically to my ears.  I use vocal recordings, small jazz and folk
ensemble's, piano and acoustic recordings as a basis for evaluating my
system.  About a year ago, I made a significant change in my
two-channel system moving from a solid state amplifier and Vandersteen
2CE signature speakers to a flea powered SET amplifier (Decware SE84CS
w/ EX Mod) and a pair of Hornshoppe Horns in my relatively small
listening room 17.5' x 13.5' x 7'.

Here is a link to my system components:
http://www.audiocircle.com/systems/index.php?systemid=47.  All my
source equipment and preamp are plugged into a Felix power
conditioner, built by Gordy.

The SET amp and single-drive horns combination provides an utterly
revealing and very dynamic system as opposed to my previous
combination.  After some initial listening to the Decware amp I did
some tube rolling and settled in on the following combination - a
Mullard GZ32 rectifier, Genalex Gold Lion EL84's (New Sensor reissues)
& Amperex 6922, preferring a warm, engaging presentation of vocals and
string instruments.

Everything sounded good, but a couple things nagged me about the
sound, some glare in the treble and a shallow depth of soundstage.   I
was missing a realistic 3D holographic soundstage provided by the
Vandy's.

After consulting with a few AC members and friends, I finally decided
to put some new copper Kaplan Cable H.E. power cords on my amplifier
and CDP.  I must confess, I haven't listened to a lot of high end
cords before.  My system has included several VH Audio flavor 4 cords
(on my CDP and preamp), a Cable Research Lab (now FIM) cord on my
solid state amplifier.

To be perfectly frank, I simply wasn't prepared for the changes the
Kaplan cords imparted to my system.  First, the music just sounded so
much more natural and there was a tremendous level of microdynamic
detail that I have never heard.  Vocals became more relaxed, there is
a roundness to plucked nylon guitar strings, attack and decay of piano
notes were simply incredible, and the level of realism simply shot
through roof.  It's really quite hard to put it all into words and it
was simply far more than I ever expected from simply changing out the
wires.  The treble glare was gone and I had a 3 dimensional soundstage
in spades.  But could I do even better I wondered?

I was so impressed with the cords, I contacted Paul Kaplan.  Paul
suggested swapping out my ACME 15amp AC receptacles on my dedicated
lines (one for amp and one for source equipment & preamp) with Hubbell
5262 or 5362 receptacles and replacing the Volex cord on my Felix
power conditioner for even added improvement.  Well, I took Paul's
advice, at least in part.  I replaced the Volex cord on the Felix with
a Kaplan cord, this time with a rhodium termination.  I also installed
a pair of JENA Labs 20 amp receptacles in on my dedicated AC lines,
instead of the Hubbell's.

Can anyone say sonic nirvana?  Well I am happy to report that I have
finally found the kingdom of sonic nirvana and it is truly a blissful
place. :angel: :angel:

I try to do my best to avoid hyperbole in describing any consumer
products, but I am just so damn happy with the improvements the Kaplan
Cables power cords have made in my system.  Being the audio cheapskate
I am, I just never thought an investment in wires would make such a
big difference.  Well, you can now count me in the camp of the
converted.

There is also a tremendous synergy of Kaplan cables with the Jena Labs
& Hubbell outlets noted above, I understand that Paul voiced his
cables with the Hubbell 5262 AC outlets.  I would strongly encourage
anyone interested in trying Kaplan cords to swap out their outlets
with the recommended Hubbell's or Jena Lab outlets.

The Kaplan Cable cords are 10 AWG copper, a bit thick and heavy but
very flexible.  They are well constructed wrapped in a black techflex
cable sheething with black shrink wrapping around the male and female
terminations.  Terminations provide tight, solid connections to AC
receptacles and IEC inlets on all my equipment.

Tweak Geeks (http://www.tweekgeek.com) offers Kaplan Cable H.E. 15 amp
cords, both with in-line power conditioners and without, also with
copper or rhodium terminations.  Since I have a Felix power
conditioner I opted for the regular cords.  If you don't use a power
conditioner, particularly for your CDP player, I highly encourage you
try one of the cords with an in-line conditioner.

Tweak Geeks offers a 30-day money back guarantee on all its products,
including the Kaplan Cable cords.

Something tells me that if you try the Kaplan Cable cords you won't be
returning yours.  I've told my wife I want to be buried with my Kaplan
cords.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have to the best of my
ability.  I will be traveling during the middle of this upcoming week
and without internet connectivity.  In closing this one of the best
audio equipment purchases I have made, which to be honest simply
shocked the hell out of me.

NB

During the last several weeks, I have the opportunity to listen to Kaplan Cables H.E. power cords in my system.  The cords have proven to be the single most significant and effective upgrade I have made to my system in more than 25 years of listening  :D, more to come but first a little background on my system and listening room.

My audio system sonic goal is to recreate live recording events realistically to my ears.  I use vocal recordings, small jazz and folk ensemble's, piano and acoustic recordings as a basis for evaluating my system.  About a year ago, I made a significant change in my two-channel system moving from a solid state amplifier and Vandersteen 2CE signature speakers to a flea powered SET amplifier (Decware SE84CS w/ EX Mod) and a pair of Hornshoppe Horns in my relatively small listening room 17.5' x 13.5' x 7'.   

Here is a link to my system components: http://www.audiocircle.com/systems/index.php?systemid=47.  All my source equipment and preamp are plugged into a Felix power conditioner, built by Gordy.

The SET amp and single-drive horns combination provides an utterly revealing and very dynamic system as opposed to my previous combination.  After some initial listening to the Decware amp I did some tube rolling and settled in on the following combination - a Mullard GZ32 rectifier, Genalex Gold Lion EL84's (New Sensor reissues) & Amperex 6922, preferring a warm, engaging presentation of vocals and string instruments. 

Everything sounded good, but a couple things nagged me about the sound, some glare in the treble and a shallow depth of soundstage.   I was missing a realistic 3D holographic soundstage provided by the Vandy's.

After consulting with a few AC members and friends, I finally decided to put some new copper Kaplan Cable H.E. power cords on my amplifier and CDP.  I must confess, I haven't listened to a lot of high end cords before.  My system has included several VH Audio flavor 4 cords (on my CDP and preamp), a Cable Research Lab (now FIM) cord on my solid state amplifier. 

To be perfectly frank, I simply wasn't prepared for the changes the Kaplan cords imparted to my system.  First, the music just sounded so much more natural and there was a tremendous level of microdynamic detail that I have never heard.  Vocals became more relaxed, there is a roundness to plucked nylon guitar strings, attack and decay of piano notes were simply incredible, and the level of realism simply shot through roof.  It's really quite hard to put it all into words and it was simply far more than I ever expected from simply changing out the wires.  The treble glare was gone and I had a 3 dimensional soundstage in spades.  But could I do even better I wondered?

I was so impressed with the cords, I contacted Paul Kaplan.  Paul suggested swapping out my ACME 15amp AC receptacles on my dedicated lines (one for amp and one for source equipment & preamp) with Hubbell 5262 or 5362 receptacles and replacing the Volex cord on my Felix power conditioner for even added improvement.  Well, I took Paul's advice, at least in part.  I replaced the Volex cord on the Felix with a Kaplan cord, this time with a rhodium termination.  I also installed a pair of JENA Labs 20 amp receptacles in on my dedicated AC lines, instead of the Hubbell's.   

Can anyone say sonic nirvana?  Well I am happy to report that I have finally found the kingdom of sonic nirvana and it is truly a blissful place. :angel: :angel:

I try to do my best to avoid hyperbole in describing any consumer products, but I am just so damn happy with the improvements the Kaplan Cables power cords have made in my system.  Being the audio cheapskate I am, I just never thought an investment in wires would make such a big difference.  Well, you can now count me in the camp of the converted. 

There is also a tremendous synergy of Kaplan cables with the Jena Labs & Hubbell outlets noted above, I understand that Paul voiced his cables with the Hubbell 5262 AC outlets.  I would strongly encourage anyone interested in trying Kaplan cords to swap out their outlets with the recommended Hubbell's or Jena Lab outlets.

The Kaplan Cable cords are 10 AWG copper, a bit thick and heavy but very flexible.  They are well constructed wrapped in a black techflex cable sheething with black shrink wrapping around the male and female terminations.  Terminations provide tight, solid connections to AC receptacles and IEC inlets on all my equipment. 

Tweak Geeks (http://www.tweekgeek.com) offers Kaplan Cable H.E. 15 amp cords, both with in-line power conditioners and without, also with copper or rhodium terminations.  Since I have a Felix power conditioner I opted for the regular cords.  If you don't use a power conditioner, particularly for your CDP player, I highly encourage you try one of the cords with an in-line conditioner.

Tweak Geeks offers a 30-day money back guarantee on all its products, including the Kaplan Cable cords. 

Something tells me that if you try the Kaplan Cable cords you won't be returning yours.  I've told my wife I want to be buried with my Kaplan cords. 

I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have to the best of my ability.  I will be traveling during the middle of this upcoming week and without internet connectivity.  In closing this one of the best audio equipment purchases I have made, which to be honest simply shocked the hell out of me.

NB

« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2010, 07:13 pm by woodsyi »

nature boy

Re: Kaplan Cables H.E. Power Cord
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2009, 04:57 pm »
Oops, the moderator may wish to move this to the cable reviews section.  My bad.

NB

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2009, 05:15 pm »
Something tells me that if you try the Kaplan Cable cords you won't be returning yours.  I've told my wife I want to be buried with my Kaplan cords. 

Now that is hard core. :D

Very nice review. They do work well, I have them on all my gear in various combination's and Paul won't be getting them back. :)

walkern

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2009, 09:01 pm »
I have a radically different system (RAW Acoustics RA-8 speakers, Promitheus DAC and TVC, Alan Maher power extender, AKSA Lifeforce 55 amp) and just got a copper Kaplan PC installed on my amp.  The improvement in the sound of my system was just as dramatic, and musically satisfying as noted above.  Dynamics, low end extension and control, sound staging, and clarity in the mids and highs all improved, with no down side what so ever.  I too have experimented with a modest assortment of high value but modestly priced PCs, and I've noticed some very subtle differences from one to another.  The changes afforded by the Kaplan are much more significant.  These things are the real deal.  I was just contemplating heading over the Aspen Amps circle and encouraging everyone there to try one of these PCs.  I can't imagine anyone being disappointed.

Neil

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2009, 12:14 am »
Great review!

Sometime I need to sit down and write my own review of the Kaplan Cords (both conditioner and regular).

My whole system is now using Kaplan cords and pretty soon it will be the conditioner cords across the board!   aa

George

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2009, 08:51 pm »
Hi.  I visited Tweek Geek and typed in Kaplan Cable H.E. 15 amp cords and got a message that they could not locate.  Can someone please be of help to me locating these?  Thanks.

WG

« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2009, 09:16 pm »
Try http://www.tweekgeek.com/_e/dept/01-004-011/Kaplan_Cables.htm and click on the HE Cord for variations.

Regards,
Will

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2009, 09:54 pm »
Thanks WG, took me right there but, damn, I hadn't realized how much they are.  I've got active speaks and it is on these I am considering.  Seriously, are these supposed to save you the cost of a power conditioner or something?   

WG

« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2009, 11:41 pm »
Jim,

I did purchase 2 of the 3amp HE Rhodiums for my main speaker amps.  The 3amp are recommended for amps with the 15amp versions other components. These particular cords are conditioning cords.  The less expensive cord shown is not a per se conditioning cord, but a very good sounding cord nontheless.  I had not done much on PC's previously, but these did make quite a difference on my Class D amps.  My mains (panel and woofer module) now are running through an active crossover/equalizer, but the panels are currently using a passive crossover.  I do have a fully active crossover, but these then would be 4-ways.  I have run them that way with less expensive amps previously, but do like how things are sounding now.

What are your actives?  What size amps are you running and how many channels?    Paul Kaplan, Occam here, might be able to offer you some ideas on this.  Tweekgeek is his distributor.  Mike there will work with you to send out cables for you to evaluate.  In such case, he'll take a credit card as insurance, but is very good about letting you evaluate.  If they don't float your boat, you can return them.

Regards,
Will

jimdgoulding

« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2009, 01:58 am »
Hi Will-  Thank you for your reply.  My speakers are the last version of Meridian M20's.  They are stand mounted with 5" over and under drivers and a 1" tweeter.  They use KEF drivers.  They were Meridian's high end model of the day which I bought new some 20 years ago.  The tweeters are driven by 35W inboard amps and the mid/bass drivers by 75W inboard amps.  The delivery of the signal by both amps is time aligned in the crossover before the amps.  They go deeper and play louder cleanly than you would assume from the description I'm giving you.  They replaced Acoustat Three's driven by 150W monoblocks cause they have more dynamic life and actually sound very similar in balance and wholeness.  They image and stage with the best.  I preamp with an ARC LS7.  The factory power cables from my speakers are the same size as my pre.  They don't look like a big deal, in other words.  My dedicated room is on the small to medium side.  The speakers are well placed out from the live end of my room with absorptive panels only at the first reflection points along the side walls.  The wall behind my seat has diffusion treatment and is about 4' from my ears.  You only asked what kind of actives I have but I thought I would give you the whole shebang.

I recently purchased a power conditioner and everything is plugged into it except the speakers are plugged into the bypass outlets.  Anything you might care to share with me further is highly appreciated. 

mjosef

« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 2009, 02:41 am »
The 3amp are recommended for amps with the 15amp versions other components.

I think its generally the other way around. The 15A (actually rated to 17A) version is recommended for power amps and in general analog components. The 3A version seemed to be more suited to digital components, offering higher inductive filtering. Maybe your class D amps need the additional filtering the 3A offers.
In my system the 15A version powers my tube and SS amps, with the 3A feeding my 2 digital sources.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2009, 02:48 am »
Mj, do you use a power conditioner on top of that?  If so, notice much difference when it is out?

WG

« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2009, 03:16 am »
Mjoseph is correct--I have the 15 amp version not the 3 amp.  I apologize for the misinformation. 

Regards,
Will

mjosef

« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2009, 03:34 am »
I have the 15A and 3A both feeding  quad outlet boxes, my components are then plugged into the respective outlets. No need for me to use any further conditioning.
My next step up might be to have individual conditioning for the two amps I use in a bi-amp configuration, right now its both amps being fed by a single 15A conditioner.

Hah...its a no turning back situation, ie going without the conditioning, once I heard the improvement across the board with the conditioning...going back is like the difference between watching a HD video feed and a SD video feed. My apt. has an old school fuse panel. However I have the use of a dedicated line(the AC line). YMWV.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2009, 03:49 am »
Thanks.  I'm tryin to get a single component to do all that w/o having to add expensive grade cables on top of that not to mention a dedicated line.  The new conditioner I've added isn't the night and day difference being described to the Kaplans above, tho.  Wish it were.  Hence my inquiry.

Occam

« Reply #15 on: 29 Apr 2009, 05:13 am »
Jim,

Sadly, even a great conditioner is strongly affected by the cord feeding it and well as the cord supping from it.  This is why my conditioners are built into cords. And I certainly see why one might think  adequate conditioning should obviate any need for bespoke cords.

But if you're looking for the maximal bang for the buck power delivery effort, that is also synergistic with other power upgrades like cords, dedicated circuits and/or conditioners, change your outlets if you have the typical residential or commercial grade powering your system, to Hubbell 5262 (for 15a circuits) or Hubbell HBL5362 (for 20a circuits).

If you want the former, in any color as long as it is brown, its available (Thanks MarkC!) for $4 ($5-automatic 20% discount for just thinking the phrase 'Kaplan Cables are groovy' 3 times rapidly  :o) + scrupulously honest shipping charges, just order from the charming folks at -
http://store.electricsurplusstore.com/product.php?xProd=1263

Some folks prefer them other fancy, audiophile receptacles, I don't. I voiced my cords and conditioners with the Hubbell HBL5262. If someone wants to argue that outlets can't make a difference unless they're broken, you mustn't value your time very much to argue about a frigg'n $4 specification grade outlet.  C'mon Mikey, try it, you'll like it.

There are cryoed versions of the Hubbell HBL5362 from Jenalabs, Alan Kafton and the cryoed HBL8300H (unplated brass contacts and backstrap) aka Porter Port. But they cost many multiples of that $4 and the benefits of cryo can be very system dependant.

Regards,
Paul

jhm731

« Reply #16 on: 29 Apr 2009, 07:02 am »
Jim,

Sadly, even a great conditioner is strongly affected by the cord feeding it and well as the cord supping from it.  This is why my conditioners are built into cords. And I certainly see why one might think  adequate conditioning should obviate any need for bespoke cords.

But if you're looking for the maximal bang for the buck power delivery effort, that is also synergistic with other power upgrades like cords, dedicated circuits and/or conditioners, change your outlets if you have the typical residential or commercial grade powering your system, to Hubbell 5262 (for 15a circuits) or Hubbell HBL5362 (for 20a circuits).

If you want the former, in any color as long as it is brown, its available (Thanks MarkC!) for $4 ($5-automatic 20% discount for just thinking the phrase 'Kaplan Cables are groovy' 3 times rapidly  :o) + scrupulously honest shipping charges, just order from the charming folks at -
http://store.electricsurplusstore.com/product.php?xProd=1263

Some folks prefer them other fancy, audiophile receptacles, I don't. I voiced my cords and conditioners with the Hubbell HBL5262. If someone wants to argue that outlets can't make a difference unless they're broken, you mustn't value your time very much to argue about a frigg'n $4 specification grade outlet.  C'mon Mikey, try it, you'll like it.

There are cryoed versions of the Hubbell HBL5362 from Jenalabs, Alan Kafton and the cryoed HBL8300H (unplated brass contacts and backstrap) aka Porter Port. But they cost many multiples of that $4 and the benefits of cryo can be very system dependant.

Regards,
Paul

How do you voice a power cord or conditioner to an AC outlet?

If your power cords and conditioners are voiced to the Hubbell HBL5262 for optimum performance, why don't you included them?

IMO, power cords or conditioners shouldn't have a "voice."

They can eliminate or reduce noise/RF/RMI etc..., but they shouldn't add a "voice."

jimdgoulding

« Reply #17 on: 29 Apr 2009, 07:18 am »
Yo, Pauly, I got $4 dollars and thankfully my wife had my lil room painted a dark taupe or something for my birthday.  I'm daunted to think about the cords supping it, tho.  I very much appreciate your reply.  Jhm, I can relate to your question.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #18 on: 30 Apr 2009, 11:51 am »
I've been happily enjoying 2 of the copper and 1 of the Rhodium PCs in my systems for a couple of months now.  I've just ordered another of the Rhodiums.  Once I get that, I'll write up something more formal.  Running mono amps, I want to be able to try Rhodiums on the amps, copper on the pre, and the other way around to get a firm handle on the differences.

What I can say is that both the copper and the rhodiums are a significant step up in performance and posses a lot of the characteristics of much more expensive and 'well known' PCs.

A happy customer.

Bryan

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #19 on: 30 Apr 2009, 12:24 pm »
I've been happily enjoying 2 of the copper and 1 of the Rhodium PCs in my systems for a couple of months now.  I've just ordered another of the Rhodiums.  Once I get that, I'll write up something more formal.  Running mono amps, I want to be able to try Rhodiums on the amps, copper on the pre, and the other way around to get a firm handle on the differences.

What I can say is that both the copper and the rhodiums are a significant step up in performance and posses a lot of the characteristics of much more expensive and 'well known' PCs.

A happy customer.

Bryan

Bryan,

FWIW, I went with a pair of 15 amp Rhodiums on my Atma-Sphere MA-1's and used 3amp Copper on the Modwright Transporter and Plinius M8 preamp.

I felt that combination gave me the best performance.

George