Just put new sockets in the Wurlitzers

drummerwill

Just put new sockets in the Wurlitzers
« on: 6 Jan 2007, 02:30 am »
  The old girls are alive and kicking even more than before. These are a pair of 1937-1939 Wurlitzer Jukebox amps I've been restoring over the last 5 or 6 yrs.
 These amps are all Triode driven, a type 30 RC driving a 30 RC driving a 45 IT coupled to PP45's
 they now have Electra-Print outputs. I was told these are Class B amps, they really kick it out, probably 8 or 9 watts each and they sound really good.
  Anyway over the Christmas Holidays I installed new sockets on all the type 30 input tubes. On the first tube a 4 pin Exopy composite type sold by parts connection and the second tube a gold pin ceramic with rubber washers under the tabs. These replace the old wafer type 4 pin sockets. these were very noisey and ultra microphonic. Type 30s are very microphonic anyway but the new sockets do help.
  Anyway here are some pics from my Gallery of the progress, thought you guys would be interested.
   Oh Scott these would sound pretty good on your new Karlsons.
    Have fun!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=928
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2007, 06:10 pm by drummerwill »

Scott F.

Re: Just put new sockets in the Wurlitzers
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2007, 03:11 am »
Wille,

Those are way too cool.

So, where do you keep finding all the Wurlitzer chassis? Locally or on eBay?

We defiantly need to introduce your new amps to the Karlson's. :green:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2007, 03:20 am »
Very nicely done Wille.  Just curious, what do you use internally? Upgraded parts or close to original?

drummerwill

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2007, 04:01 pm »

I haven't seen these on ebay for a while now, when they were there I tried to get it.

I tried to restore them both to originals but ended up having to replace the voltage divider completely on one. Then I did the other, replaced the outputs, big oil caps, 6 amp 2.5 filament
 transformers for 45 or 2A3's. Yeah you drop a pair of 2A3's in these babies and you got may
 10 to 12 watts per can really kick.
  Most non power type resistors in one amp remain, these are some of the very old wirewound
 1 and 1/2 watt resistors. I'm reluctant to replace those if I can help it, the other amp all resistors
 were replaced with modern carbon or metal film. There my be a ever so slight difference in sound 
 between the two amps but I'm not hearing it.
    Have fun!
     Willie

« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2007, 06:16 pm by drummerwill »