USB Off-Ramp Turbo2 - 2 channel music and AC3/DTS questions...

mat3o

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a USB off-ramp turbo 2 or maybe a USB Freeway 2 and I have a couple of questions.

1) Can I use the "driverless" firmware with Foobar to play music and the M-Audio driver with Zoom player/ffdshow for movies (AC3/DTS)?. If I understand it well the new driverless firmware is better than the m-audio. I listen 50% music and 50% movies. Maybe a bit more to music than movies, and I think that would be great to use the driverless for 2 channel music.

2) Would the Off-Ramp and/or Freeway improve the sound quality of movies comparing it with a standar m-audio transit or audiophile connected to a pre/pro?. I'm planning to connect it directly to a Meridian 568.2mm. I think this question is a bit noobie, but I can't find any comments about the sound quality with DVD sources or a comparative with other products.

Thanks very much :)
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2007, 05:26 pm by mat3o »

audioengr

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a USB off-ramp turbo 2 or maybe a USB Freeway 2 and I have a couple of questions.

1) Can I use the "driverless" firmware with Foobar to play music and the M-Audio driver with Zoom player/ffdshow for movies (AC3/DTS)?. If I understand it well the new driverless firmware is better than the m-audio. I listen 50% music and 50% movies. Maybe a bit more to music than movies, and I think that would be great to use the driverless for 2 channel music.

2) Would the Off-Ramp and/or Freeway improve the sound quality of movies comparing it with a standar m-audio transit or audiophile connected to a pre/pro?. I'm planning to connect it directly to a Meridian 568.2mm. I think this question is a bit noobie, but I can't find any comments about the sound quality with DVD sources or a comparative with other products.

Thanks very much :)

1) no, you would have to use the m-audio driver to do AC3, not the new firmware
2) Yes, definitely.  Much better than a Transit or Audiophile USB.

Steve N.

mat3o

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply  :D

Ok, I understand that I need to use the m-audio driver to do AC3, but in that case will I need to use also the m-audio driver with foobar to listen to stereo music?. Or is it possible to have installed the m-audio driver for ac3 duties and to use the new driverless firmware with foobar?. hmm, maybe I'm messing things here but supposedly that way I will be able to do ac3/dts when I want to watch a movie, but I don't need to compromise audio quality when listen to stereo music.

Does that makes sense?, Or I shouldn't worry about that?

Thanks again.

audioengr

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply  :D

Ok, I understand that I need to use the m-audio driver to do AC3, but in that case will I need to use also the m-audio driver with foobar to listen to stereo music?. Or is it possible to have installed the m-audio driver for ac3 duties and to use the new driverless firmware with foobar?. hmm, maybe I'm messing things here but supposedly that way I will be able to do ac3/dts when I want to watch a movie, but I don't need to compromise audio quality when listen to stereo music.

Does that makes sense?, Or I shouldn't worry about that?

Thanks again.

You have to use one or the other.  The firmware is hardware soldered-in.

Steve N.