Tires for Mazda CX5 2016

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Tires for Mazda CX5 2016
« on: 2 Nov 2016, 07:07 pm »
I need new tires for my 2016 CX5. Tire Rack recommends the following:
- Continental CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus Technology (Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season)
- Continental Extreme Contact DWS
- The Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia
- Goodyear Assurance CS Fuel Max

I need tires that handle well in the snow and that provides a quiet drive.  I'm leaning towards the Conti CrossContact LX20s. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
LSI

richidoo

Re: Tires for Mazda CX5 2016
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2016, 10:27 pm »
I put a 2nd set of Continental True Contact on my old Honda van this past spring. I've been very happy with the grip in rain and light snow. Much better tread life than Bridgestone Ecopia garbage and a lot quieter than any Michelins I've owned. Continental is a good value, imo.

CX5 is sharp looking. I'm thinking of buying one for my kids. How do you like it so far?

mick wolfe

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2016, 11:58 pm »
I'm going to ask the same question as richidoo. How do you like the CX5 and do you have the 185 hp engine? That's the one I'm shoot'in for.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2016, 12:17 am »
Where are you located?

We are in southern New Hampshire and we put snow tires on my wife's AWD CX-9.

For snows we use Blizzak DM V1's.

For the rest of the year we use Bridgestone Dueler H/L's and my wife likes them better than the Michelins she had previously.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2016, 12:19 am »
FWIW, here are the ratings from tire rack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=CSTAS&sortValue=0&tireSearch=true&showwp=N&showdp=N&showws=N&showcm=N

In general, I find that their ratings are spot on.

George

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2016, 12:56 am »
I love Tire Rack (and am anal).  Have used them for decades to do my research and finally last November bought Goodyear Assurance Triple Tred All-Season tires for 2012 Camry SE and 2009 Outback Premium through them and had them locally mounted (with no problems).  Previously alternated with Goodyear Assurance Comfort Treds.  Both performed good in wet, dry, snow, ice, noise, and wear.  (Snow, ice, and wear are my priorities.)  Don't care for any high efficiency tires (don't perform well in wet, snow, ice, or wear).  Had a set of Continentals years ago, don't recall the model, but wasn't impressed. 

I'm tire fussy and a firm believer that car performance is highly affected by tires.  Actually replaced tires on the Camry immediately after buying it new (in November) that Tire Rack rated very poorly.  This winter is forecasted to be bad for us (Michigan) and wifey now works 60 miles from home, so have been shopping for winter tires.  Have always had all-season tires but from all reports good winter tires will allow your car to drive way better through snow.  Even though the Subaru is the best all wheel drive car/SUV in snow (according to my car buying bible - Consumers Report), all wheel drive doesn't help steer or brake. 

Two of the best winter tires are Bridgestone Blizzaks (air bubbles imbedded in the rubber) and Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 (crystals imbedded in the rubber).  Cost around here is comparable.  Have picked the Nokians that reported wear better and maintain their grip longer.  Unfortunately Tire Rack doesn't carry every brand (like Nokian).  BTW Nokian (from Finland) invented winter tires, they sell cheaper/noisier winter tires, and their best all-season tires are also very good in snow.

With winter tires your choices are:  1.) Buy the same size and remount twice a year for $40 each time; or 2.) Buy a size down (to save money, check with the retailer to see what fits) plus wheels plus pressure sensors and swap twice a year.  It's about $400 more up front for option #2, so roughly a 5 year break even.  (I'm going with option #1.)

Recommend determining your priorities, using Tire Rack to really dig into the research, and then look at Nokian.
« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2016, 10:50 am by JLM »

Lancelot

« Reply #6 on: 3 Nov 2016, 02:07 am »

I tried out and wanted to really like the CX 5 but coming from a V6 ( 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe ) it just didn't have enough power for me( I mean power without flooring it and the accompanying noise. ) 
Now I live in a hilly area ( SE Quebec ) and travel to Maine and Nova Scotia a number of times each year ( very hilly ) so a vehicle able to maintain highway speed without constant downshifting is important to me. On relatively flat roads the CX 5 would probably be fine.
But to me the 2016 Santa Fe Sport 2.0 L turbo is in a completely different class than the CX 5. It has more room , rides better, has more standard equipment and has power and torque to spare . That's what I have.
You can also buy a 185 HP Santa Fe ( never tried it ) if that's all you need. At least here their isn't much difference in price-certainly IMO not enough to make up how much more you get in the Santa Fe.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #7 on: 3 Nov 2016, 03:31 am »
I agree with Lancelot about the Santa Fe. Before buying the CX5, I drove a Santa Fe for three  months after a confused elderly gentleman without a scratch of car insurance ran a red light and t-boned me in a Durham intersection (btw, I was on my way to Selah Audio ... didn't make it.). So I had the Santa Fe
for three months as a rental. Better acceleration, better braking and roomier than the CX5. The CX5 gets slightly better gas mileage and is a more comfortable drive. It also has the most confusing and distracting 'control panel' I've yet to experience. The CX5 isn't a bad car and I can see why people would like it, it's just not that exciting to drive and if I had it to do over I'd go with the Santa Fe. My wife's CRV is on its last legs and I'm hoping she'll take the CX5. I also drove and liked the Outback but the wait list at the time was absurd. The Outback deserves a second look.

LadyDog

« Reply #8 on: 3 Nov 2016, 05:14 am »
While I'm in a bit different company, 4 wheel drive but non cx, I'd certainly recommend Bridgestone Blizzard.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #9 on: 3 Nov 2016, 04:19 pm »
I need new tires for my 2016 CX5. Tire Rack recommends the following:
- Continental CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus Technology (Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season)
- Continental Extreme Contact DWS
- The Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia
- Goodyear Assurance CS Fuel Max

I need tires that handle well in the snow and that provides a quiet drive.  I'm leaning towards the Conti CrossContact LX20s. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
LSI

I live in Minnesota and use Continental Pure Contact's on 2 cars which are all season performance tires.  They handle well in the  light to moderate snow and give a comfortable ride.  I am using the "V" rated versions.  I have over 50K miles on them and they still have a lot of tread life left.

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 3 Nov 2016, 05:07 pm »
We picked up a 2013 Ford Escape (SEL AWD 2.0) off lease in the Spring that appears to be related to the Mazda in terms of overall size and weight.

The stock Contental ContiProContact 18's are toast at 45KM (28K miles?).  Surprised me.

I have purchased steel rims with snows (Dunlop Wintermaxx) so I will delay buying new all seasons for the Escape at this time.

I may look into a set of Yokohama AVID Envigors as they are working very well on my Fusion.