VPI 19 Jr. upgrade

rcag_ils

Re: VPI 19 Jr. upgrade
« Reply #20 on: 26 Feb 2011, 12:43 am »
Pic will come later.

I would just buy the SAMA from VPI while it's still available, I am sure it would provide lots of sonic upgrade. But then I would have to get some kind of bottom plate for the motor to sit on. I am simply amazed by the completeness of this used table, I mean the guy must have pampered it all these years, kind of like how I would treat my equipment, I know the location of every nick and scratch on my stuff, I am not kidding.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #21 on: 26 Feb 2011, 03:28 am »
It's a beautiful, beautiful piece with a walnut chassis.

Another owner with the walnut base here.  The most beautiful base by far, much better than the oak and worlds ahead of the black.  Congrats.

If there was any damage to the spindle you should be able to see a definate wobble to the platter.  TheChairGuy had his HW-19 arrive with a bent spindle (or maybe he bent it himself in a fit of rage against the economy, can't recall) which led to the Scout platter and inverted bearing upgrade for him, he said he could easily see it.

orthobiz

« Reply #22 on: 26 Feb 2011, 11:32 am »
TheChairGuy had his HW-19 arrive with a bent spindle (or maybe he bent it himself in a fit of rage against the economy, can't recall) which led to the Scout platter and inverted bearing upgrade for him, he said he could easily see it.

I have his table now, he replaced the regular bearing, still III platter.

Paul

rcag_ils

« Reply #23 on: 26 Feb 2011, 04:16 pm »
Here it is...

The table looks almost as if the day it left the factory with very, very minor cosmetic mark from normal handling.

I may just use it as is, but the upgrade bug just keeps biting.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #24 on: 26 Feb 2011, 08:32 pm »
Yeah, it really does look brand new.  I thought mine was pristine, you may have me beat (I said may have).  You should definitely listen to it stock for a least a bit if only to have a foundation on the sound so you know where your upgrades are headed.  Can't wait to hear your impressions of the sound, I was quite frankly stunned coming from Thorens/Rega/Project land.  Congrats and enjoy. 

rcag_ils

« Reply #25 on: 26 Feb 2011, 09:32 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, LetitroII98 (by the way, no wobble). I think VPI switching from the HW19 to the Scout is a mistake. I am sure they are making tons of money by pushing their plug-and play Scout, but a mistake in a sense of making this vinyl hobby a dead end hobby. When you are tired of your Scout, that's it, you need to sell it and buy a whole new more expensive model. Hobbyists like to tinker with equipment that they are attached to, and that option is gone. Maybe sending a petition for bringing back the HW 19 parts to VPI may help.

rcag_ils

« Reply #26 on: 15 May 2020, 03:47 pm »
Time sure flies. I can't believe this post that I started still here after 9 years.

Here's the update. I still have the VPI 19 Jr. table, it's been sitting in my closet for the past 9 years. Over the years, I've managed to gather enough used original parts to upgrade it to a MK III. I have the springs, platter, extra bearing (I could have used the existing bearing, but decided to find an extra instead). I was fortunate enough to find a MK III chassis without the arm board. Patience did pay off.

The way VPI change their product line is a mistake in my opinion, now their turntables are ugly and expensive. Awhile back, I read it somewhere that they mentioned aluminum platters were easier to manufacture and at a lower cost, so I guess profit is always a priority. However, in their website, now they say aluminum platters are more difficult to make and they are better than the previous acrylic/lead platter....so they flip flop a little there.

Anyway, now I just need time to complete this project, it may take another 9 years....

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #27 on: 16 May 2020, 11:50 am »
So I'm a little confused.  The HW19 Jr doesn't have springs, so you're rehabbing a HW19 mkIII now?  Which is great too, do you plan on making an armboard or are you looking for a blank?

rcag_ils

« Reply #28 on: 16 May 2020, 03:23 pm »
Well, I started out with a HW-19 Jr. in complete pristine condition and came with an extra bonus MK III platter for free. Then I managed to find an extra bearing (I don't want to pull the original Jr Acrylic platter off the original bearing spindle for the MK III platter), the springs, and the stainless/acrylic top plate without the arm board. It took me nine years to find all the MK III parts.

Now my dilemma is I've never heard what the Jr sound like, it has been sitting in my closet for nine whole years (I bought it back in Feb, 2011). I don't even know if the MK III upgrade will indeed improve the sound of the Jr. You know, over the years people started saying Sorbothane's better than spring suspension and all, I don't really believe it, I think it's the rumor that VPI put out to get people to buy their latest turntables, because it'd cost them too much to manufacture the spring suspension.

Anyway, now I'll be able to swap between the Jr and MK III chassis, kind of a modular concept. And yes, I am looking for a blank acrylic arm board to mount my tonearm, it'll be challenging. VPI should have kept making the old parts to support their classic turntables.

Since VPI stopped making their SAMA too, I'll have to come up with something to isolate the motor from the plinth.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2020, 04:47 pm by rcag_ils »

orthobiz

« Reply #29 on: 16 May 2020, 08:47 pm »
You can still get armboards from VPI according to a recent HW-19 youtube video demonstration. I would communicate with support, they helped me with an issue I had recently. I'll bet they can scare up a SAMA somewhere, too!

Paul

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #30 on: 17 May 2020, 12:47 pm »
No, taking the springs out of HW19's is not a myth, it does change the sound dramatically.  It's not something VPI put out.  I know Harry and he just wouldn't ever consider that type of subtrifuge.  There's no reason whatsoever to not put a MkIII platter on the Jr bearing, I ran one for years.  My advice would be to pull the Jr out, throw a new belt on it, and play it with or without the upgraded platter.  It's a great table.

orthobiz

« Reply #31 on: 17 May 2020, 06:10 pm »
No, taking the springs out of HW19's is not a myth, it does change the sound dramatically.  It's not something VPI put out.  I know Harry and he just wouldn't ever consider that type of subtrifuge.  There's no reason whatsoever to not put a MkIII platter on the Jr bearing, I ran one for years.  My advice would be to pull the Jr out, throw a new belt on it, and play it with or without the upgraded platter.  It's a great table.

But VPI does sell the pucks that take the place of the springs. My upgrades are much heavier than the original table so I've gone to pucks.

Paul

rcag_ils

« Reply #32 on: 17 May 2020, 06:33 pm »
So I spent all these time and effort gathering the MK III parts for nothing?

The Jr sounds better than the MK III?  How could that be? The Jr already has the pucks.

Was VPI pushing the MK III/MK 4 upgrade back in the days a scam?

DinaMoe

« Reply #33 on: 8 Sep 2020, 08:10 pm »
So I spent all these time and effort gathering the MK III parts for nothing?

The Jr sounds better than the MK III?  How could that be? The Jr already has the pucks.

Was VPI pushing the MK III/MK 4 upgrade back in the days a scam?
Not sure what you read to give you that impression.  But, just take a look at the JR vs the III or IV.  Tell us which one you think might be the better table. 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #34 on: 10 Sep 2020, 11:41 am »
The Jr has a one piece MDF plinth and no springs.  The regular HW-19 has a two piece acrylic plinth that has a sprung suspension.  The whole line is very modular with many of the upgrades interchangable.  But you're not going to turn a Jr into a Mark III or IV.   For the Jr I think the best upgrade you can buy is the Mark III platter and bearing.  The other would be the electronic speed control.  Since the Jr doesn't have springs there's no need to replace the pucks unless they're worn out for some reason.  If you have extra parts no worries, they'll sell like hotcakes.  Prices on all HW-19 used models, and the various upgrades and spare parts, haven't gone down one bit in decades, it's virtually impossible to lose money on them.

sturgus

« Reply #35 on: 11 Sep 2020, 12:54 am »
Try them both. Some like the sound of springs better. I think the springs give a biger soundstage but a bit more diffuse sound. I happen to like the springs better than the pucks. A lot will be how your system gels with each table. Since you have 2 tables maybe make one a mono rig.