Lii Audio Fast-8. Have you ever tested these Mr. Richie?

Bullitt5094

Just for fun I purchased a pair of Lii Audio Fast-8s. I did a quick CNC of a pair of "barrel" baffles for them. Quite frankly I was very impressed with the sound from the little guys. Danny I was wondering if you've ever tested these and if so, what where your findings? And if not, have you ever evaluated a single point system of your own?

Let me add, in my room right now I have both extremes of audio speaker technology. I have Tekton Ulfberhts which are 4-way, 7ft tall, Multi-Multi-Multi driver box speakers. Then I have a single point 8" full range OB speaker system. It's quite interesting!

Danny Richie

Re: Lii Audio Fast-8. Have you ever tested these Mr. Richie?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2021, 08:39 pm »
Just for fun I purchased a pair of Lii Audio Fast-8s. I did a quick CNC of a pair of "barrel" baffles for them. Quite frankly I was very impressed with the sound from the little guys. Danny I was wondering if you've ever tested these and if so, what where your findings? And if not, have you ever evaluated a single point system of your own?

Let me add, in my room right now I have both extremes of audio speaker technology. I have Tekton Ulfberhts which are 4-way, 7ft tall, Multi-Multi-Multi driver box speakers. Then I have a single point 8" full range OB speaker system. It's quite interesting!

I have not had a pair of them in here yet.

I bet they could use some compensation filters to flatten out the response and control what typically happens in the top end.

Bullitt5094

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2021, 09:33 pm »
Thanks for the reply Danny! If you would like to analyze them, I may send them to you. I'm in Houston so not far away. It would be interesting to see what could be done with these in one of your folded baffle designs too.

Lii has a transmission line enclosure design on their site for them. I'm considering that option too. For $250/pair off Amazon and sheet of MDF, these could keep me busy and out of trouble cheaply for a while!

uncola

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2021, 12:16 am »
Would be great to see danny's thoughts on these..  lii drivers are getting pretty popular

Bullitt5094

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2021, 01:28 am »
I asked Danny if he would be interested in getting these to analyze in the post before and he didn't respond. So I assumed he wasn't interested. Heck, for $250 off Amazon he could have his own to play with.

That said, one of the great things about these speakers, or any FR Single point I would assume, is that you don't use any crossover in front of them. So I was a little surprised that Danny suggested adding one. Sort of missed the point of them. If I sent them to him I would prefer he work with smoothing out the response by modifying  the baffle design. Right now I have them with no crossover, but I am mixing in a Rythmic Audio G25HP Dual Opposed Servo Sub to support the low end. And it wanted to be crossed pretty low. It's at 40HZ and bass runs through that crossover frequency fairly seamlessly. The remainder of the range above 40 sounds pretty level to me. Again, not what I expected from these 8" FR drivers. It is all very clean with great imaging and they do a pretty good disappearing act in the sound stage. The height is good despite the fact they are sitting on the floor. And the depth of field is what you would expect from an OB. Very deep. I have REW and a UMIK-1 but I haven't gotten off my lazy butt and taken any readings. I'll get to it though.

jn316

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2021, 05:31 pm »
I asked Danny if he would be interested in getting these to analyze in the post before and he didn't respond. So I assumed he wasn't interested. Heck, for $250 off Amazon he could have his own to play with.
Give him a call. I never have a problem reaching him that way...posts can be easily missed.

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2021, 08:39 pm »

I will need them in a box to test or measure them.

That said, one of the great things about these speakers, or any FR Single point I would assume, is that you don't use any crossover in front of them. So I was a little surprised that Danny suggested adding one.

That's a bit of a misnomer. I have yet to see one that didn't need a corrective filter.

Sort of missed the point of them.

Some of them are completely un-listenable without a filter.

If I sent them to him I would prefer he work with smoothing out the response by modifying  the baffle design.

The baffle won't fix a rising response. The baffle won't correct for stored energy or breakup.

Right now I have them with no crossover, but I am mixing in a Rythmic Audio G25HP Dual Opposed Servo Sub to support the low end. And it wanted to be crossed pretty low. It's at 40HZ and bass runs through that crossover frequency fairly seamlessly. The remainder of the range above 40 sounds pretty level to me. Again, not what I expected from these 8" FR drivers. It is all very clean with great imaging and they do a pretty good disappearing act in the sound stage. The height is good despite the fact they are sitting on the floor. And the depth of field is what you would expect from an OB. Very deep. I have REW and a UMIK-1 but I haven't gotten off my lazy butt and taken any readings. I'll get to it though.

Send one to me and I'll take some measurements on it.

Bullitt5094

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2021, 10:16 pm »
Thanks for the reply Danny. Good information. If I send them to you, will you need me to put them in an enclosure (Box) first or just send the drivers?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2021, 10:29 pm »
Thanks for the reply Danny. Good information. If I send them to you, will you need me to put them in an enclosure (Box) first or just send the drivers?
yes, his first response says they need to be in a box/cabinet before you send them to him.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2021, 10:46 pm »

Hobbs is correct. They need to be in the box that you want them measured in. And I will need one of them.

Bullitt5094

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2021, 10:55 pm »
Then that will be a while. I'm enjoying them as OB at this point and really wanted them tested in that configuration. I'll likely experiment with the Lii recommend enclosure at some point. When I do, I'll consider running one up to you for testing. I thought maybe you had a test enclosure of some type you were intending to use. These apparently require a lot of volume in an enclosure to be happy too. So it won't be a bookshelf design. But thanks for the offer! I really appreciate it and may yet take you up on it.

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jan 2021, 08:51 pm »
I can just as easily test them in an open baffle. I just need them sent in the baffle that you are using them in.

Bullitt5094

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jan 2021, 11:42 pm »
That would be great. I will make that happen. Today I actually started my XL-S Encore build. So I'm going to concentrate on that first. I want to get some hardwood for the baffle before I bring it to you. Right now I just used some rather porous hardwood ply. But you'll see these eventually. I'm very interested in your opinion.

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2021, 01:04 am »
Definitely strapping a bag of popcorn to my face and following this string. Keep us posted.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #14 on: 11 Jan 2021, 01:21 am »
Definitely strapping a bag of popcorn to my face and following this string. Keep us posted.

This I gotta see. Can you post photo once strapped on please?  :lol:

Dieterle Tool

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jan 2021, 01:27 am »

As you wish...

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #16 on: 11 Jan 2021, 03:30 am »

As you wish...

Oh, my apologies. I assumed you were human! Do o all horses like popcorn?

Dieterle Tool

« Reply #17 on: 11 Jan 2021, 03:55 am »

I can only speak for myself.  :green: