What does the word "musicality" mean to you?

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: What does the word "musicality" mean to you?
« Reply #20 on: 22 Dec 2009, 02:30 am »
That the music sounds natural--like you are at a live performance or sitting in the recording studio, or better yet--the band/musicians are in your listening room. 

Laura

That just about gets it. I could add though, easy to listen to and simply enjoy.

mjosef

« Reply #21 on: 22 Dec 2009, 02:51 am »
Not a darn 'thang'...

John151

« Reply #22 on: 22 Dec 2009, 02:58 am »
Musicality is that subjective and intangible quality that causes one to toss fiscal responsibility aside and eagerly part with one's hard earned monies at ever increasing rates. 

srclose

« Reply #23 on: 22 Dec 2009, 03:20 am »
A lack of things that detract from being connected to the music, so that whatever is presented comes across as a whole.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #24 on: 22 Dec 2009, 04:47 am »
To me it's a throw-away word. I just ignore it because it means nothing to me. What does it apply to? Music? Instruments? Systems? Components of a specific type (a CD player versus cables)?

I don't quite run the other way when I hear it, but it merely tells me we are marketing, or failing to give real descriptions about, high-end audio gear  :)

boead

« Reply #25 on: 22 Dec 2009, 07:52 pm »
... a live performance or sitting in the recording studio...

Its one or the other because they sound NOTHING like each other.
Actually I think live performances are exciting but usually sound like a BestBuy Ultra-Mega bass booming system from Kenwood. Not audiophile at all.
Studio? Usually sounds clinical, stark and dry and rarely do bands record ‘live’ in studio so you are never actually hearing the artist in the studio at all, just bits a pieces of what may or may not be used in the final mix.
In your living room? Well that’s just silly.

Musicality? It’s a judgment or ones personal taste, what is or isn’t. I define musicality as something not ultra revealing of all that is on the source. Many studio monitors and headphones are ultra revealing for good reason and musicality isn’t one of them. The engineer NEEDS to hear every noise, mistake both good and bad while mixing which is not so enjoyable to the ear in my living room. Good audiophile (IMO) is colored or spiced in just the right places to add richness or warmth to the mix, pronounced midrange for vocal imaging and a slightly rolled off top end for a less fatiguing listening session without being veiled, slurred or muddy in any way and I believe that is the thing that separates the good from the great.
Seriously, I think its easy(er) enough to make a VERY revealing component just as it’s easy(er) to make a fat/lush sounding component (Just stuff a few tubes in it, right?!). Try to compromise in the right places – that’s the hard part and that’s what makes a GREAT component!

markC

« Reply #26 on: 24 Dec 2009, 02:59 am »
Thinking that your system can reproduce a live performance in a great venue is just ridiculous.
Hearing that your system can come close to reproducing a simple live performance in a similar venue to where it is, is priceless.
Example being a couple of friends playing guitar and singing live in your home. Playing some well recorded vocal and guitar sounds very good, but lacks the presence of the live event.

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #27 on: 24 Dec 2009, 03:13 am »
Thinking that your system can reproduce a live performance in a great venue is just ridiculous.
Hearing that your system can come close to reproducing a simple live performance in a similar venue to where it is, is priceless.
Example being a couple of friends playing guitar and singing live in your home. Playing some well recorded vocal and guitar sounds very good, but lacks the presence of the live event.

And even through a closed door it's pretty easy to distinguish between live and recorded music... most of the time... vocals and drums are among the most difficult to reporoduce... There is an old guy who makes some nice hi-end stuff back in Serbia... he's popular in France... his reference recording is the one he made himself - of his wife talking. Easiest to compare with "live performance"  :lol:

pardales

« Reply #28 on: 24 Dec 2009, 03:41 am »
Musicality is that subjective and intangible quality that causes one to toss fiscal responsibility aside and eagerly part with one's hard earned monies at ever increasing rates.

:lol:

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #29 on: 24 Dec 2009, 04:02 am »
If I'm thinking about "musicality", it probably means I'm not experiencing it... whatever it is.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #30 on: 24 Dec 2009, 04:52 am »
If I'm thinking about "musicality", it probably means I'm not experiencing it... whatever it is.

+1.

Anand.

ZLS

« Reply #31 on: 24 Dec 2009, 05:51 am »
"Pat Your Foot"

William "Count" Basie

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #32 on: 24 Dec 2009, 05:55 am »
Goosebumps.

turkey

« Reply #33 on: 28 Jan 2010, 08:04 pm »
To me it's a throw-away word. I just ignore it because it means nothing to me. What does it apply to? Music? Instruments? Systems? Components of a specific type (a CD player versus cables)?

I don't quite run the other way when I hear it, but it merely tells me we are marketing, or failing to give real descriptions about, high-end audio gear  :)

Agreed.