Any experience with the Aleph J?

chadh

Any experience with the Aleph J?
« on: 23 Feb 2008, 06:45 pm »

It looks like I've scored the chance to try out a clone of Nelson Pass's Aleph J amp in front of my XRSs.  Does anybody have any experience with this kind of combination?  Apart from the heat, what should I be in for?

The amp is a slightly undersized "clone" (somewhere in the 15-20w range) built by Tim Rawson.   I'll be comparing it to my Channel Islands VMB1 monoblocks (gainclone/chip amps that put out about 40w/channel).  I'll be feeding the amps with a Bolder modified squeezebox and a 6sn7 pre-amp from Space Tech Labs.

Does anybody want to hazard a guess about which amp I'll keep?  And why?

Chad

mcgsxr

Re: Any experience with the Aleph J?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2008, 06:53 pm »
Tough call, but I will wade in with a prediction that may very well make an arse of me (I can take it!).

I predict that the mixture of the tube pre and the Class A Rawson will do it for you.  I have had Class A SS before (Sugden) and I have owned decent gainclones, and I would take the Class A myself.

I know that the chip amps that you have are better than what I had, but I bet the wetness of the Class A thing will please you.

Can you try it with the SB direct to the amps too, just for kicks?

sts9fan

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2008, 08:38 pm »
I have been on Nelson's class A wild ride for the past few months.  Ithink you will like it!

chadh

« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2008, 07:39 pm »

Oh well, things don't look too promising for my chances to try the Aleph J now.  It seems likely that the seller has changed his mind about selling.

Chad