just in the door ,,,, RM-9 A FEW ??

2bigears

just in the door ,,,, RM-9 A FEW ??
« on: 4 Jul 2014, 10:53 pm »
 :D  Hello all, HAPPY 4th . the amp traveled great many miles via truck.  all tubes put in , all looks good .  do I need to balance and bias  ?? is this a simple operation ? can you do this without it hooked to the stereo as it's
             still on kitchen table ,,  :D
         I would suspect an adjustment is needed ??  but what the hell do I know ? any help,, thanks much ,, as I would love to push PLAY ..  :D

Roger A. Modjeski

Re: just in the door ,,,, RM-9 A FEW ??
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2014, 01:00 am »
:D  Hello all, HAPPY 4th . the amp traveled great many miles via truck.  all tubes put in , all looks good .  do I need to balance and bias  ?? is this a simple operation ? can you do this without it hooked to the stereo as it's
             still on kitchen table ,,  :D
         I would suspect an adjustment is needed ??  but what the hell do I know ? any help,, thanks much ,, as I would love to push PLAY ..  :D

The instructions to adjust the amp are actually written on the amp itself. Just do what it says.

The bias lights light up on their own, if they are dimly lit there is nothing to be done.

To check the balance push the button as instructed on the top plate.

I did this for just this reason, so 100 years from now anyone can adjust it. There need be no questions.

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2014, 03:41 am »
 :D  so normal op , the bias light should be always dimly lit ?? sorry,, I don't have a manual  :D
       just want to make sure . ?  :D   the old girl is up and running. testing now .. Love Tubes....

2bigears

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2014, 04:55 am »
 :D ok,  too easy once you get on to it. couldn't see those lights a flickerin' in the light.  now,, once tubes and unit heated up to op temp ,, this little 66 pound vintage beast is kicking out some sweet tube goodness I wish I knew about a long long time ago. the amp sounds really nice . will get the Rega P-9 on her tomorrow. that's gonna sound even better I can only imagine. haven't played with the gain yet.
    what a great old amp. Good Lord. you gotta LOVE TUBES...... :D  BEST LITTLE SECRET IN AUDIO this amp. serious ,, mods to come yet too !!!!  :D

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2014, 10:07 pm »
:D  so normal op , the bias light should be always dimly lit ?? sorry,, I don't have a manual  :D
       just want to make sure . ?  :D   the old girl is up and running. testing now .. Love Tubes....

The light should be on the threshold of lighting. Going past dim to bright one doesn't know how bright is bright. It will flicker with the music depending on loudness. It is indicating cathode current.

The instructions are quite literal "raise bias CW till indicator lights" I purposely use a clear lens red LED so you can see when it turns red.

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2014, 05:34 pm »
 :D. Ok, when you buy a tube amp of years , ya just never dam know what your going to get for tubes that come with the purchase. The nice guy I bought the 9 from has no idea how old these tubes are.  Can someone please advise what tubes to buy in regards to the smaller ones ,, are they all the same ,,6DJ8's ? Sorry, but I have no manual.  :D

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2014, 06:08 pm »
The front 6DJ8s are selected for low offset. If not selected the amp will likely not balance. The back ones do not need selection. We have a set for you. Email ben.

tubeaudiostore@gmail.com

The front drivers range from $140-180 per pair

The rear tubes range from $70-100 per pair.