PI Audio DigiBuss

Early B.

Re: PI Audio DigiBuss - checking in again
« Reply #20 on: 19 Dec 2015, 11:32 pm »
I have a list of more than a dozen  wacko fanatics who make equipment that is inexpensive and crazy-good for the money but that's another entry.  I think that Dave at PI-Audio might be one of these guys too.  I miss his circle.       

Agreed.

jhm731

« Reply #21 on: 20 Dec 2015, 03:30 am »
I think that Dave at PI-Audio might be one of these guys too.  I miss his circle.       

+1

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #22 on: 20 Dec 2015, 03:33 pm »
Sorry about the long delay in updating on the Buss. I have tried to leave everything alone on my system for a while as the duplex outlets and the Buss continue to burn in. Almost 2 months for the Buss and 5 weeks for the SACD player to settle in.  The only change I have made since the Sony arrived was to replace the X2 Master-Coupler with a new Digital American (source level) PC that defies all logic and reason about mid-priced power cords.  The word that comes most often to my mind to describe its sound is "Sandpaper", because it makes digital so smoooooth!  It has removed the sonic glare from all but the most poorly produced CDs and puts out SACD sound that makes me forget - for a while - about vinyl.  One way to describe it's impact on my system's sound is to compare ballroom dancing with Cirque du Soleil.  Ballroom dance can be quite beautiful to watch or perform. The gowns on the ladies and elegant men's full-dress suits and dancing to familiar music and rhythm and everyone performing the same steps are hallmarks of ballroom dance, but Cirque du Soleil is a riot of chaos and energy with costumes and as crazy and varied as the whirlwind of motion and acrobatics and every dancer has his or her own choreography. 

Cool, glad your enjoying the "Digital American"!... and the synergy between Dave's PI Audio products & mine continues...  :thumb:

Cheers,
Pete

mcbuddah

Re: PI Audio DigiBuss
« Reply #23 on: 8 Jan 2016, 04:07 am »
Well, it's been a few weeks since my last 'confounding variable' - a new Digital American for the SCD-1 and I have listened enough to get a new base-line sound quality before making other changes to the configuration of the PI-Audio Uber + switchable digital.  Ultimately, I will need to decide what outlet configuration and power cord to use to power my system.  Just a few observations so far:
    1.  Yes, it can run 4 amps capable of 2.2 kilowatts @ 8 ohms at some pretty high levels without breathing hard or even heating up.  Wisconsin winters are made for playing louder than the other three as the house is nicely buttoned up and the neighbors as well, allowing the full majesty of orchestral music.  No fear of noise complaints until June. 

2.  The TWL  cord on the ancient SACD player is a match made in Heaven.  Having only recently tamed digital playback as a listenable source in my system after a 30 year struggle,  this power cord puts things over the top for clarity, added detail, more useful base, and just a sense of sonic cleanliness that I didn't think was possible. 

3.  Since installing the Buss in early November,  I have not yet switched it from Digital mode to standard UberBuss mode.  My concern here is that the two analog preamps may be struggling with running on current that has been optimized for the five digital components that share the eight outlets on the Buss. The switch sets all eight.  I will soon throw the switch and find out.

4.  I am still running quite nicely on the original P&S  duplex outlets.  The pair of GTX-D (R) duplexes and the Maestro I plan to gradually add to replace P&S outlets are now covered in dust.  I  have a third GTX-D in Rhodium coming to me from Dave, but I think I am going to ask him to send a gold one instead.  I also want to talk to him about trying one of his tweaked and polished P&S duplexes like he used to illustrate his contention that you can get a lot for very little out of these off-the-shelf outlets.  The fact that I have over $500 worth of upgraded outlets sitting around for more than two months tells me that the stock $30 duplexes can play in the big leagues.

5.  Just when the system is sounding so good, I couldn't leave it alone.  I just now swapped out the Buss with the PS Audio PPP regenerator that it replaced back in November.  I haven't had time to listen too critically yet, but my first impression is that of takeaways.  The most glaring impression I have so far is that the element of surprise has taken a hit.  It's a hard concept to put into words, but an important one.  I think that the ability of music to surprise and delight the listener is a key part of its emotional content and that my system is now so much poorer in that regard.  I have also noted a reduction in the system's rendition of the material individual instruments are made from.  Wooden flutes vs. metal flutes, etc.  Need more time to compare. 

6.  Cheers to Dave E for producing such a fine product for such a good price.       

dpatters

« Reply #24 on: 8 Jan 2016, 01:12 pm »
I just ordered a Digibuss. This will plug into my Uberbuss and handle my digital front end. My amps and my analog front end will go into the Uber. This addition along with my complete loom of TWL PCs should be the icing on the cake.  I'll report back after delivery and some break in.

Don P.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #25 on: 8 Jan 2016, 03:43 pm »
   The Digibuss is a game changer. Never before has digital sounded no natural from my Lector CDP and Arion class "D" hybrid amps. I experimented with analog sources in the Digibuss however did not like the result.
    My system requires [ 8 ] receptacles.. Using two Ubers and one Digibuss. Preamp using two  recetacles one each for each power supply, BSG QOL using one and subs using two. All connected to one Uber. The CDP and amps into Digibuss then into the other Uberbuss. both Ubers plugged into a dedicated 20 amp circuit.
    The Ubers use an older TWL 8 cryo A digital American to CDP from digibuss 7+ from amps to Uber 10+ for preamp [ hard wired ], 8+ everywhere else.  High current digital american to replace 7+ for amps and we are done.
      Not sure yet about amps in Digibuss as opposed to just Uber. Will experiment further. The P&S receptacles that come std. are IMO good enough. The plated receptacles all have a flavor. If that is what you need than change. Gold is warm, silver is lean and rhodium is bright/neutral. The P&S are neutral.
    However the at the wall is another story. If you use copper plugs use a copper receptacle . BTW Dave can be found at Audionervosa index forum.

charles

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: 8 Jan 2016, 03:52 pm »
BTW Dave can be found at Audionervosa index forum.
  charles
I was wondering where he went.

werd

Re: PI Audio DigiBuss Breakin
« Reply #27 on: 14 Jan 2016, 01:38 am »
I hit a speed-bump while trying to accelerate the break-in period. 

If you are looking to accelerate the break-in. Pick an outlet plug a 1500 watt hairdryer into and for few minutes let it run. Do that for a couple days and wham broken in.

rpf

« Reply #28 on: 14 Jan 2016, 05:55 am »
If you are looking to accelerate the break-in. Pick an outlet plug a 1500 watt hairdryer into and for few minutes let it run. Do that for a couple days and wham broken in.

Interesting: I'll have to try this. Thanks Werd.

werd

« Reply #29 on: 14 Jan 2016, 07:43 am »
Interesting: I'll have to try this. Thanks Werd.

NP, but make sure Digibus is rated for 1500 watts. Uberbus will be, not sure about this one  though. Might only get to use a 800 watt dryer. 

Plug your microwave  up to it and cook wit it.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2016, 12:39 pm by werd »

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #30 on: 18 Jan 2016, 06:07 pm »
Why not use a space heater? That way at least you'll get some benefit out of the project [it's noon at my house and the temperature is 14F/-10C].